Semi-Live-- Grand Princess June 1, 2022 Southbound Whittier to Vancouver

erber

We are midship and have spent time at the other end of the Promenade deck and deck 8 when looking at scenery. Not sure what is going on at the back end of Promenade deck.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, erber said:

PXL_20220603_233815234.thumb.jpg.9c27ddce25d7ee51f3250c5c07ed5c2b.jpgWe've had a lovely day in Glacier Bay. Sunny and clear. A couple of photos of the day. Tried to upload more, but wifi is not cooperating. 

PXL_20220603_231509165~2.jpg

Love your pics!  Cell phone or DSLR?

On 6/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Loyalty and Events Manager was posted on another thread.  Liz must have left shortly after dry dock.  She came on in January (first contract).  Surprised she left so soon.  She was fantastic.  Elizabeth Pentz

Found it:  5/24/22

image.png.e553d9ffcb4a7e7bcfa7ff6dd27da7f3.png

We will be on the Grand at the end of the Alaska season. Does anyone know if there will be a crew change (Captain, Executive Chef, Cruise Director) before then?

5 minutes ago, Wanderers2 said:

We will be on the Grand at the end of the Alaska season. Does anyone know if there will be a crew change (Captain, Executive Chef, Cruise Director) before then?

The Grand returned to service last Fall (2021).  Many of the crew extended their contract through April (Hawaii 4/19).  A few stayed on through dry dock and replacements came on board for Alaska.. Those that signed on for the Alaskan Season would probably still be on for your sailing.  Staff officers are usually on for 6 months while service has a contract for 9 months.

Then toss in the fact that the Grand will be repositioning to down under for the fall/winter and who knows when crew and staff will leave.  It is a constant rotation.

For me:  My waiter was on for my October and March cruises (4).  He had extended his contract but left when I did (April 4).  His Jr. waiter left at the beginning of March.  His replacement (March 5) stayed on for dry dock.  Liz (loyalty coordinator joined the ship in January 2022).  Her contract should be up soon.  My room steward in October was still on the ship but re-assigned to a different deck in March.  My cruise director in October was different that the one in March.  My Assistant Manager in CC dining had to leave the ship in January and a replacement planned on staying through Alaska (or at least part of).  Crown Grill/suite breakfast, some waiters were the same in October and March but getting off before dry dock.  Executive chef was different October and March.

It is much easier to make changes in Los Angeles than Alaska/Vancouver.  Are you looking for someone in particular?

• Like 1

Hi @erber, would you pop in and see who is the future cruise consultant? When I was on the Grand last year for September, October and December. The loyalty and events manager was Barbara Z., and I have sailed with her many times. She was planning on switching positions to future cruise, by January/February 2022 but I heard they wanted to extend her contract. I see from previous posts,  Liz has come on as Loyalty and Events manager. If future cruise is Barbara Z., please tell her Wally says hello. If you want to see her smile, stop by the international cafe in the morning and pick up a breakfast burrito with salsa and deliver to her. Last year they were not allowed, but I believe they can get food there now.

Barbara Z. Is indeed the future cruise consultant. We met with her yesterday to purchase more future cruise credits. 😀 If we see her again, we will say hello for you! 

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Grand returned to service last Fall (2021).  Many of the crew extended their contract through April (Hawaii 4/19).  A few stayed on through dry dock and replacements came on board for Alaska.. Those that signed on for the Alaskan Season would probably still be on for your sailing.  Staff officers are usually on for 6 months while service has a contract for 9 months.

Then toss in the fact that the Grand will be repositioning to down under for the fall/winter and who knows when crew and staff will leave.  It is a constant rotation.

For me:  My waiter was on for my October and March cruises (4).  He had extended his contract but left when I did (April 4).  His Jr. waiter left at the beginning of March.  His replacement (March 5) stayed on for dry dock.  Liz (loyalty coordinator joined the ship in January 2022).  Her contract should be up soon.  My room steward in October was still on the ship but re-assigned to a different deck in March.  My cruise director in October was different that the one in March.  My Assistant Manager in CC dining had to leave the ship in January and a replacement planned on staying through Alaska (or at least part of).  Crown Grill/suite breakfast, some waiters were the same in October and March but getting off before dry dock.  Executive chef was different October and March.

It is much easier to make changes in Los Angeles than Alaska/Vancouver.  Are you looking for someone in particular?

No I was just curious as I have not come across the ones currently on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erber said:

Barbara Z. Is indeed the future cruise consultant. We met with her yesterday to purchase more future cruise credits. 😀 If we see her again, we will say hello for you! 

Hi @erber, thank you for the update. Nice to hear Barbara is in her new position. She is very personable as she was a circle host and then loyalty and events manager with Princess for many years.

51 minutes ago, simong said:

what are people doing about covid testing whom are flying from Vancouver BC to USA

We are on this cruise in August. Our flight from Vancouver was to leave around 1:00pm. That was going to be tight if we had to get tested that morning. We were getting so stressed about the Covid test, as well as a tight connection in Minneapolis, that we changed our flight to one out of Seattle the following day. We booked a bus from Vancouver to Seattle the morning we disembark and will have a relaxing afternoon in Seattle before flying direct to Atlanta the next morning. No testing required! In doing so, we were refunded 10,000 frequent flyer points each and a small amount of taxes we had paid as well. The added costs of the bus ticket and hotel for the night are well worth it for the peace of mind.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, erber said:

would you mind to say one more Hello to Barb from Marina please?

She is a sweetheart

Final day at sea. Chilly and windy. Here are a couple of photos taken late in the evening after we left Ketchikan.

This morning we saw at least 5 whales spouts, tails and all not far from the ship as we continued on our way to Vancouver. 

Starting to plan the packing strategy and final purchases to use up a bit of leftover on board credit. 

At breakfast we saw a number of people doing Emed tests. People were helping each other when things were a little difficult. But it seems they were getting it done. Last night it probably would have been impossible due to ridiculously slow wifi speed. 

We had a really fun trip! 

PXL_20220607_043038967.jpg

PXL_20220607_043043628.jpg

• Like 2

per @erber  "At breakfast we saw a number of people doing Emed tests. People were helping each other when things were a little difficult. But it seems they were getting it done. Last night it probably would have been impossible due to ridiculously slow wifi speed."

But, the tests have to be done "within one day" of flying home to USA. It is good that people were having good luck with them.

2 minutes ago, nini said:

Last night it probably would have been impossible due to ridiculously slow wifi speed."

But, the tests have to be done "within one day" of flying home to USA. It is good that people were having good luck with them.

I meant the wifi speed was very slow late last night, but after midnight....so it would be one calendar day before flying. 

2 hours ago, erber said:

I meant the wifi speed was very slow late last night, but after midnight....so it would be one calendar day before flying. 

I see. I am glad it worked for some.

Disembarkation was smooth. We are off the ship and waiting for our arranged transport. We turned in the Canadian Declaration form. There was no passport or ArriveCan check at the port. 

All in all a good cruise. The wifi was very frustrating but everything else was good. We had a nice stateroom, great food and the best scenery!

PXL_20220608_010005442.jpg

PXL_20220608_132748548.jpg

Just now, erber said:

Disembarkation was smooth. We are off the ship and waiting for our arranged transport. We turned in the Canadian Declaration form. There was no passport or ArriveCan check at the port. 

All in all a good cruise. The wifi was very frustrating but everything else was good. We had a nice stateroom, great food and the best scenery!

PXL_20220608_010005442.jpg

PXL_20220608_132748548.jpg

Glad all went well for you and you had a good trip.  I know were were both a bit stressed about the testing process!

It was supremely stressful. Princess really didn't do well with how all that was handled. But everything else unrelated to internet or covid testing was excellent. 😍