Paying more than the non-refundable deposit?

rachiem

I can't seem to find the answer to this but we've paid a deposit (UK) for a cruise next year of £75. This is non-refundable.

If we chose to pay more before the final payment date and needed to cancel, will we loose just the £75 and get the surplus back or loose it all?

Wouldn't usually do this but with the Amex cash back offer, it may be worth doing?

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

In the US you would get back any amount paid above the NR deposit as long as it was before final payment. Should work the same in England.

Thank you 🙏 

I would give Celebrity a call.  I believe you would only loose the 75 Pounds but the rules in the UK are different than the U.S. and wouldn't wan't to see you go down a rabbit hole.   If booked with an agent they will also be able to answer your question.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would give Celebrity a call.  I believe you would only loose the 75 Pounds but the rules in the UK are different than the U.S. and wouldn't wan't to see you go down a rabbit hole.   If booked with an agent they will also be able to answer your question.

Thank you...I contacted them via facebook last night and have just received a confirmation that it is only the deposit that I would loose. 

Didn't expect such a quick answer as when I've emailed them before, it's usually weeks before I receive a reply.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Thank you...I contacted them via facebook last night and have just received a confirmation that it is only the deposit that I would loose. 

Didn't expect such a quick answer as when I've emailed them before, it's usually weeks before I receive a reply.

You are offering to give them money, not trying to claim some back!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bac513 said:

Are Future Cruise Credits in excess of the NRD also refundable prior to final payment?

In my experience with a rescheduled cruise - yes.   The just issue you another FCC.   Good thing is the new rules - FCC's don't have an expiration date whether old or new.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, Jim_Iain said:

In my experience with a rescheduled cruise - yes.   The just issue you another FCC.   Good thing is the new rules - FCC's don't have an expiration date whether old or new.

Thanks. What about a FCC issued on board (due to on board issue) with an expiration date?

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

FCCs no longer expire.  All at 100%.  Very clear this time.  Yea 

From X’s website:

As of June 1, 2022, the portion of the FCC value that represents 100% of the cruise fare paid on your original reservation will no longer expire. 

Unfortunately my FCC does not represent 100% of the cruise fare paid

7 hours ago, bac513 said:

From X’s website:

As of June 1, 2022, the portion of the FCC value that represents 100% of the cruise fare paid on your original reservation will no longer expire. 

Unfortunately my FCC does not represent 100% of the cruise fare paid

What are you suggesting?

My understanding is that any FCC representing up to and including 100% of your cruise fare does not expire. (The money you paid at some time).  Any “bonus” FCC  that was given to you still has an expiration date.  For instance the FCC bonus offered for not requesting a cash refund immediately for a cancelled cruise.  Or other types of bonus FCC.

11 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

FCCs no longer expire.  All at 100%.  Very clear this time.  Yea 

Yes good news.  It is our money after all.  Nice of Celebrity not to keep it for things that happened that were beyond our control.

@bac513 Your 2 questions don't make it clear what your FCC was for. In the 1st one you refer to an FCC amount in excess of NRD  and your 2nd post refers to an on-board issue.

If you have an FCC as compensation for an on-board issue, it is governed by the terms set out in the FCC itself. It has nothing to do with the NRD FCCs that the new policy has now made non-expiring.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes good news.  It is our money after all.  Nice of Celebrity not to keep it for things that happened that were beyond our control.

I do not disagree.  Celebrity has expanded this to also include FCCs that were and are within our control.  Cruise with Confidence and NRD.

iMO this is a generous modification and is another step towards the reduction of Cash Refundable deposits.  The change makes NRD even more attractive, because of the price reduction. (Or lack of price increase to buy a fully refundable deposit).

Edited by jagoffee

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It's good news, but I'd be pretty ticked off about the bonus FCC expiring. If the original choice had been getting 100% cash refund or only 100% FCC, there's no way I'd have chosen FCC.

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

It's good news, but I'd be pretty ticked off about the bonus FCC expiring. If the original choice had been getting 100% cash refund or only 100% FCC, there's no way I'd have chosen FCC.

You took it knowing there was an expiration date on the whole 125%. So how can you say you wouldn't have taken it knowing only part would be extended indefinitely?  Your original choice obviously included an expectation you would be using it within the deadline. If you did not have that expectation, why didn't you take cash?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

You took it knowing there was an expiration date on the whole 125%. So how can you say you wouldn't have taken it knowing only part would be extended indefinitely?  Your original choice obviously included an expectation you would be using it within the deadline. If you did not have that expectation, why didn't you take cash?

This was for a cruise that was cancelled in May 2020 and originally booked at least a year before that. At the time it was cancelled, all of us (including the cruise line) expected that there would be many, many more opportunities to use the bonus credit. After all, this whole thing was going to blow over in a few months, right? In fact, that's what they told us. 

Well, we all know it didn't go that way. They weren't even cruising for roughly 70+% of the time before the bonus FCC expired, and then it was extremely limited for some time after that. We even rebooked two other cruises in an attempt to use the credit, but those also were cancelled.

I didn't need it to be indefinite.  However, at the very least, they could have reset the clock from the last cancellation. Instead, we had to scramble (twice) to find something in the few remaining months after that last cancellation. 

And, believe me, they were deathly adamant that the deadline would not be extended even though the rebooked cruises were cancelled. The deadline was tied to the "original" sailing date. 

@DCPIV That makes sense. I remember so much discussion at the time about refund vs FCC+bonus. It was absurd how X and other lines waited to cancel so many cruises until after FP. I didn't think the FCC bonus was at all sensible because I doubted cruising would restart in time. We lifted and shifted ours, but only because we had major penalty amounts from prior cancels so a refund would have been only about 20%.

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@DCPIV That makes sense. I remember so much discussion at the time about refund vs FCC+bonus. It was absurd how X and other lines waited to cancel so many cruises until after FP. I didn't think the FCC bonus was at all sensible because I doubted cruising would restart in time. We lifted and shifted ours, but only because we had major penalty amounts from prior cancels so a refund would have been only about 20%.

Ugh. You pretty much told the rest of the story. We didn't have the penalties you had, but the late cancellation made for a challenge. Lift & shift was not an option. 

Honestly, we really weren't concerned about rebooking when we first did it. Shoot, we booked something in late September 2020! 🤣  Once that was cancelled, we came a little more to our senses and booked for this past April. That's the other one the was cancelled, and the very limited time left caused the scramble. Our calendar no longer is as empty as it was back in 2020, so we were severely limited on when we could do something. Fortunately, we were able to figure something out for a similar time. 

But, hey, First World problems. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCPIV said:

This was for a cruise that was cancelled in May 2020 and originally booked at least a year before that. At the time it was cancelled, all of us (including the cruise line) expected that there would be many, many more opportunities to use the bonus credit. After all, this whole thing was going to blow over in a few months, right? In fact, that's what they told us. 

Well, we all know it didn't go that way. They weren't even cruising for roughly 70+% of the time before the bonus FCC expired, and then it was extremely limited for some time after that. We even rebooked two other cruises in an attempt to use the credit, but those also were cancelled.

I didn't need it to be indefinite.  However, at the very least, they could have reset the clock from the last cancellation. Instead, we had to scramble (twice) to find something in the few remaining months after that last cancellation. 

And, believe me, they were deathly adamant that the deadline would not be extended even though the rebooked cruises were cancelled. The deadline was tied to the "original" sailing date. 

Wasn’t the expiration date push out to December 2022 at some point?  An extra year?

16 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Wasn’t the expiration date push out to December 2022 at some point?  An extra year?

I already explained that.  It still was very difficult and limited to find something we could do.  Keep in mind that the last cruise to be cancelled was a 2022 cruise.

Edited by DCPIV

On 6/2/2022 at 7:53 AM, rachiem said:

I can't seem to find the answer to this but we've paid a deposit (UK) for a cruise next year of £75. This is non-refundable.

If we chose to pay more before the final payment date and needed to cancel, will we loose just the £75 and get the surplus back or loose it all?

Wouldn't usually do this but with the Amex cash back offer, it may be worth doing?

A thread on fb implies this offer is only for new bookings. Would be interested to know your experience 

• Like 1