Dressy for dinner on Alaska cruise?

PLW0520

17 minutes ago, PLW0520 said:

Are Alaska cruises more casual than others? Trying to decide what to pack for dinner.

Even jackets are hard to find. Few ties.   Just dress fancy casual.  

Alaska cruises are most definitely more casual than your average Caribbean or Europe cruise.  I've seen people show up at night in sweatshirts and hiking boots (although I personally don't recommend that).  You may dress up if you like, but you will see much more casual attire than you might be used to.

Even though we live in  Alaska we periodically do Alaska itineraries.   Dress on Celebrity while on Alaska itineraries us definitely more casual than on other itineraries with the exception of Antarctic itineraries (which my experience is that the dress is also very casual).  We are booked for an Alaska B2B later this month and my husband won't bring a tailored suit and I don't plan to pack any dresses.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Even though we live in  Alaska we periodically do Alaska itineraries.   Dress on Celebrity while on Alaska itineraries us definitely more casual than on other itineraries with the exception of Antarctic itineraries (which my experience is that the dress is also very casual).  We are booked for an Alaska B2B later this month and my husband won't bring a tailored suit and I don't plan to pack any dresses.

Thanks for this Northern Aurora! We are doing Antarctic in January and I was wondering about that. 

What does it matter what others elect to wear. :classic_rolleyes:  Pack what you want to wear. Celebrity's website is an excellent resource for what the suggested dress guidelines are for the MDR in the evening. Itinerary has nothing to do with Celebrity's published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening. 

2 hours ago, amcco said:

Thanks for this Northern Aurora! We are doing Antarctic in January and I was wondering about that. 

We did Antartica on the Infinity and found the dress in the evenings was about the same as other itineraries(Europe, Asia, South America)  except Alaska, which seems to be more casual.  

• Thanks 1

Dress code on Celebrity is pretty casual to begin with.   If you avoid the short list of "not allowed" in the MDR for dinner, you are pretty much wide open for comfortable clothing.    

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We did Antartica on the Infinity and found the dress in the evenings was about the same as other itineraries(Europe, Asia, South America)  except Alaska, which seems to be more casual.  

Thanks jelayne. It will be an interesting packing adventure but layers it will be and some nicer evening clothes. We are on the Infinity as well. Will just have to pay extra for luggage on our local flight from Iguazu Falls 😂 

I'm on a Southern Caribbean cruise, not an Alaskan cruises. I see jeans are allowed in the MDR on casual night, would they look out-of-place, or are there people who do dress down like that?

I suppose I will wear jeans either way, as that's my casual attire, just curious!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, amcco said:

Thanks jelayne. It will be an interesting packing adventure but layers it will be and some nicer evening clothes. We are on the Infinity as well. Will just have to pay extra for luggage on our local flight from Iguazu Falls 😂 

We took a North Face jacket ( 3-4 ounces) gloves warm hat, a pair of jeans & some long sleeve tees.  Put those in a compression bag so they took up  very little room and then mostly  warm weather clothes for South America 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

I'm on a Southern Caribbean cruise, not an Alaskan cruises. I see jeans are allowed in the MDR on casual night, would they look out-of-place, or are there people who do dress down like that?

I suppose I will wear jeans either way, as that's my casual attire, just curious!

I am packing my jeans again, for Alaska.  As for the Southern Caribbean, I don't think I took them.  Just capris which are lighter.  Jeans are my go to pant. 

2 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

Jeans are fine. They can get hot in the Caribbean, so keep that in mind, but they're absolutely fine.

14 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

Here is Celebrity's smart casual dress code: 

Women:  Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men:  Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Celebrity has 'Evening Chic' nights (as opposed to formal night).  Here is the "chic" night dress code: 

WomenA cocktail dress, skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

MenPants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater, optional sport coat or blazer.  (I'm not sure what qualifies jeans as "designer" but can tell you that the term seems to be applied pretty universally).

Not allowed in the main dining room or specialty restnts:  T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear . Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

We took a North Face jacket ( 3-4 ounces) gloves warm hat, a pair of jeans & some long sleeve tees.  Put those in a compression bag so they took up  very little room and then mostly  warm weather clothes for South America 

I have an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 jacket which is super light weight and can adjusted across the temperatures and the outer layer is waterproof. Will need to be wearing that leaving Canada in January! Compression bag sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to scope those out.