Shorts on Med Cruise?

CruzerDeb

Seems like a weird question, but are shorts acceptable while touring in Italy, Turkey and Greece? I know that modest clothing will be needed for the Vatican and mosques in Turkey, but for other locations such as Naples and Crete, will shorts be okay?

I don’t know when you are sailing, but between May and early October, the Med is stifling hot with very high humidity.  It’s so hot in August, many shops and restaurants close up and reopen in September.  It’s breathtakingly beautiful, but keep yourself protected from the sun and stay very hydrated.  Shorts are a must, as is a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses.  Don’t forget your sunscreen!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I know that modest clothing will be needed for the Vatican and mosques in Turkey,

As well as any other religious building.  We took a private tour in Rhodes and visited a monastery and a woman who arrived ahead of us was denied entry due to uncovered shoulders.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with wearing shorts as long as you don't mind being immediately identified as a tourist. That does come with its own set of risks such as pickpockets and overcharging vendors/taxis.  But if you are aware of these risks and account for them, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with being identified as a tourist at a tourist site in tourist season! 

• Like 2

Personally, as a woman, I would be more comfortable in capri pants or a skirt. I don't like being identified as a tourist.  My favorite story is while touring France, two men from our ship thought I was a French woman and asked where I learned to speak English so well. 😂

• Haha 3

Shorts are definitely acceptable.  When we were in Rome all of my party wanted to go to a church.  All had shorts and t-shirts except for myself as I had on a tank top.  Out of respect I stayed outside while the others went in.  One of the docents saw me and gave me a shawl type thing to cover my shoulders so I could join the rest of my group.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TM said:

Shorts are definitely acceptable.  When we were in Rome all of my party wanted to go to a church.

I'd still advice caution.  Your experience at "a" church is in no way indicative of what others might experience at other venues.  As they say in the investment world, "past performance is no guarantee of future results." 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TM said:

Shorts are definitely acceptable.  When we were in Rome all of my party wanted to go to a church.  All had shorts and t-shirts except for myself as I had on a tank top.  Out of respect I stayed outside while the others went in.  One of the docents saw me and gave me a shawl type thing to cover my shoulders so I could join the rest of my group.

Our first day in Rome, after a cruise, I tried wearing slacks and a shirt that covered my shoulders.  Mistake!  It was blistering hot, even though the end of April and I really suffered.  The next Day I wore long shorts and a sleeveless top but carried a light shirt with sleeves to wear in churches;  that worked fine.

• Thanks 2