Another ArriveCan Question

Elaine5715

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Won't have a computer and will be in Seattle already at the 72 hour mark

Just to clarify, you'll already be in Seattle 72 hours from your cruise embarkation? (ArriveCAN's deadline is based on your cruise departure date, not the date the cruise actually arrives in Canada, since Victoria is usually the last stop in the Seattle roundtrips.)

Please complete and print out your ArriveCan before you reach Pier 91.  As you already indicated, you know that you will not be allowed into the building until you can show that QR code either on your phone or a paper copy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Won't have a computer and will be in Seattle already at the 72 hour mark

I agree with the hotel suggestion. Sounds like if you don't travel with your phone, getting a printed copy is your only other option. Wherever you are staying in Seattle, ask the front desk if they have a computer/printer available.

• Like 1

I have read one report of being asked to show ArriveCan in Victoria. Not sure if it was just a specific cruise, or new policy.

With regards to not using your phone, I believe since you are sailing on Carnival having it on you will make your experience more pleasant. Not that I agree with this statement, but it seems to be the way it is.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I have read one report of being asked to show ArriveCan in Victoria. Not sure if it was just a specific cruise, or new policy.

With regards to not using your phone, I believe since you are sailing on Carnival having it on you will make your experience more pleasant. Not that I agree with this statement, but it seems to be the way it is.

I have been on three cruises with Carnival since the restart and never used a phone on board.  Completely doable and quite frankly, I get seated quicker at dinner

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Please complete and print out your ArriveCan before you reach Pier 91.  As you already indicated, you know that you will not be allowed into the building until you can show that QR code either on your phone or a paper copy.

I plan on it.  I use my phone until boarding.  If you would please confirm that I need my passport , vax card and test results to complete the ArriveCan so it can't be finished until I have the test results?

11 hours ago, strickerj said:

Just to clarify, you'll already be in Seattle 72 hours from your cruise embarkation? (ArriveCAN's deadline is based on your cruise departure date, not the date the cruise actually arrives in Canada, since Victoria is usually the last stop in the Seattle roundtrips.)

Correct.  I arrive in Seattle on Saturday and cruise departure is Tuesday.  Planning COVID tests for Sunday with Monday as backup since places near SeaTac are few. So if I need to upload test results for ArriveCan, I need to do that between Sunday test results and Tuesday arrival at port.  Correct?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Choose a hotel that has a computer for guest use?

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I agree with the hotel suggestion. Sounds like if you don't travel with your phone, getting a printed copy is your only other option. Wherever you are staying in Seattle, ask the front desk if they have a computer/printer available.

Staying at the Holiday Inn so that's a good idea

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I plan on it.  I use my phone until boarding.  If you would please confirm that I need my passport , vax card and test results to complete the ArriveCan so it can't be finished until I have the test results?

You don't need test results to complete ArriveCAN, just vax card & passport info.  I completed ArriveCAN before taking the test and it did not ask for testing results.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jchowze said:

You don't need test results to complete ArriveCAN, just vax card & passport info.  I completed ArriveCAN before taking the test and it did not ask for testing results.

Really?  Do you enter test results at all?  If test results aren't need for ArriveCan, that looses up my stress a bit.  

One more question, does the ArriveCan scan the documents or can you upload a jpg or pdf file already stored in the cloud?

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Really?  Do you enter test results at all?  If test results aren't need for ArriveCan, that looses up my stress a bit.  

One more question, does the ArriveCan scan the documents or can you upload a jpg or pdf file already stored in the cloud?

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, but Canada no longer requires a negative test result, only proof of vaccination. The cruise line will still require the negative test to board.

Edited by strickerj
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, but Canada no longer requires a negative test result, only proof of vaccination. The cruise line will still require the negative test to board.

The 48 hours negative test prior to boarding (versus 72 hrs for vaxxed/boosted) for Canada is no longer required?]

What about the scan vs upload?  I store copies on the internet

Edited by Elaine5715

10 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The 48 hours negative test prior to boarding (versus 72 hrs for vaxxed/boosted) for Canada is no longer required?]

What about the scan vs upload?  I store copies on the internet

Correct, no longer required by Canada but still required by the cruise line. When submitting my proof of vaccination to ArriveCAN, I didn't see a way to link to an online location rather than upload from your local drive, but I did mine in a browser on a PC, not the mobile app.

5 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Correct, no longer required by Canada but still required by the cruise line. When submitting my proof of vaccination to ArriveCAN, I didn't see a way to link to an online location rather than upload from your local drive, but I did mine in a browser on a PC, not the mobile app.

Thank you.  I will screen shot them.  I appreciate your responses.  I did download and print the 16 pages of instructions and your answers were more helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Correct.  I arrive in Seattle on Saturday and cruise departure is Tuesday.  Planning COVID tests for Sunday with Monday as backup since places near SeaTac are few. So if I need to upload test results for ArriveCan, I need to do that between Sunday test results and Tuesday arrival at port.  Correct?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Thank you.  I will screen shot them.  I appreciate your responses.  I did download and print the 16 pages of instructions and your answers were more helpful.

Yeah, sometimes you have to get into it before the instructions make sense. (And sometimes they still don't.) Good luck, and have a great trip!

Edited by strickerj
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

This is from April 1, before the restrictions were reduced. Latest guidelines are here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada. Per this, fully vaccinated travelers do not require pre-arrival tests when arriving by air, land, or sea, but do still need to fill out ArriveCAN to provide proof of vaccination and the health questionnaire.

Edited by strickerj

Canada DOES require a negative test to cruise. You don't need one to fly into or drive into Canada, but you must show a negative test before boarding the cruise ship. It does not get entered on ArriveCAN but you will need to have the proof with you. You have to look at the specific regulations for cruises- not for arriving by sea. 

And if your hotel can't help you, find a Kinkos- they can usually provide whatever services you might need for printing out the ArriveCAN. 

Edited by 5waldos

44 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Canada DOES require a negative test to cruise. You don't need one to fly into or drive into Canada, but you must show a negative test before boarding the cruise ship. It does not get entered on ArriveCAN but you will need to have the proof with you. You have to look at the specific regulations for cruises- not for arriving by sea. 

And if your hotel can't help you, find a Kinkos- they can usually provide whatever services you might need for printing out the ArriveCAN. 

This is not exactly right.  I'd recommend you read the following:  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise (which includes the passage pasted below). Yes, you do need a COVID-19 test, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative test.  In particular, see #3.

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

2 hours ago, strickerj said:

This is from April 1, before the restrictions were reduced. Latest guidelines are here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada. Per this, fully vaccinated travelers do not require pre-arrival tests when arriving by air, land, or sea, but do still need to fill out ArriveCAN to provide proof of vaccination and the health questionnaire.

The link I posted applies, as the title suggests to "Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19". The conditions have not changed. To board a cruise ship all passengers require a COVID test unless the they had COVID between 10 and 90 days prior.

See various cruise line FAQ

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

The link I posted applies, as the title suggests to "Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19". The conditions have not changed. To board a cruise ship all passengers require a COVID test unless the they had COVID between 10 and 90 days prior.

See various cruise line FAQ

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

Right, my point was just to clarify that it's the cruise lines requiring it, no longer the Canadian government. That's why the test results don't need to be included in your ArriveCAN submission.

• Like 1