Would you take cruise rate only?

gordylad

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I thought you were an adamant “cruise only” cruiser?

Cunard might be interesting to drive.  Can you provide the dates and ships for the three cruises that you compared?

Thanks.

Yes we are. As previously posted once we had used our credits we would not be booking Celebrity unless they dropped the compulsory AI pricing which for most cruises they have now done. 

I used inclusive pricing in my comparison between Princess and X because at it gave a more accurate comparison.

14 nights to the Med from Southampton July 2022. All prices per person Inc tips, wifi and drinks

Enchanted Princess:

Standard balcony £1369

Deluxe balcony £1469

Mini suite £1749

Silhouette

Standard balcony £3349

Cunard Queen Elizabeth 15 nights in August 

Balcony £1299 - this is cruise only 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Pushka said:

I’m confused. We booked a Sky Suite and nowhere did it state we were booking a cruise only rate. We expected Retreat and AI. On the paperwork it states Cruise Only. I’ve emailed celebrity and the reply is that it will take 8 weeks to respond. 
On the website it states suites are not bookable for Cruise Only. Any idea here?

You can book just the suite without the beverage package.  I have heard of people booking a suite with no perks and they go down to the concierge lounge and get free beverages/liquor there and then walk to Luminae with their free concierge lounge beverage and drink while having dinner.  So it sounds like it can be booked with no perks.  I guess you if you booked cruise only you can buy the classic package if that fits your needs, because when you buy AI with a suite you get the premium drink package, may be a way to save a little money, again if what you drink is accommodated with the classic package.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, mk960072 said:

You can book just the suite without the beverage package.  I have heard of people booking a suite with no perks and they go down to the concierge lounge and get free beverages/liquor there and then walk to Luminae with their free concierge lounge beverage and drink while having dinner.  So it sounds like it can be booked with no perks.  I guess you if you booked cruise only you can buy the classic package if that fits your needs, because when you buy AI with a suite you get the premium drink package, may be a way to save a little money, again if what you drink is accommodated with the classic package.

The thing being I didn’t know at the time it was a cruise only package and if I have to add the beverages option then it totally blows the budget if it also doesn’t include tips.  I didn’t want to book a cruise only cruise. 

Edited by Pushka

When booking my last cruise, Always All In was it.  Since I am elite plus and not much of a drinker, I asked if I could get a cruise only price.  The price difference between All In and cruise only wasn’t much. When you figured that you pay tips either way, the difference was about $80 per couple to go All In.  We figured it would be worth it for unlimited internet and drinks whenever we wanted it. In theory, it was worth it. In reality, it wasn’t. The All In internet hardly worked. We used our elite plus minutes most of the time.  Drinks were inconsistent. Some drinks not available.   We probably got our value in soda and bottled water.  We expected more.  If it had been a cruise that my TA included tips, cruise only would be best for us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

When booking my last cruise, Always All In was it.  Since I am elite plus and not much of a drinker, I asked if I could get a cruise only price.  The price difference between All In and cruise only wasn’t much. When you figured that you pay tips either way, the difference was about $80 per couple to go All In.  We figured it would be worth it for unlimited internet and drinks whenever we wanted it. In theory, it was worth it. In reality, it wasn’t. The All In internet hardly worked. We used our elite plus minutes most of the time.  Drinks were inconsistent. Some drinks not available.   We probably got our value in soda and bottled water.  We expected more.  If it had been a cruise that my TA included tips, cruise only would be best for us.

I always look at both rates then do a breakdown of individual cost for wifi, gratuities and the CBP. Sometimes worth it to take the AI but most times it is not.  On my February Edge 7 night sailing I opted not to take the AI and it was great. Used my 90 Elite minutes and took advantage of free drinks between 5 to 7. I would also go to the Elite breakfast and get my morning mimosa then go to the MDR for a full breakfast.  On port intensive itineraries you are not onboard long enough to utilize the drinks package. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I always look at both rates then do a breakdown of individual cost for wifi, gratuities and the CBP. Sometimes worth it to take the AI but most times it is not.  On my February Edge 7 night sailing I opted not to take the AI and it was great. Used my 90 Elite minutes and took advantage of free drinks between 5 to 7. I would also go to the Elite breakfast and get my morning mimosa then go to the MDR for a full breakfast.  On port intensive itineraries you are not onboard long enough to utilize the drinks package. 

Good reasoning.  Thanks.

All it is in the math and preferences.

We booked 11 days Carib for Xmas and New Year back in March  - balcony cabin with Premium perks and $800 OBC with refundable deposit for $6341. Today - under new promo- cruise only with NRD - $5978 for the same category cabin. If we want to prepay gratuity and have refundable deposit, it will be an additional $1000. No brainer..

We are sailing with cruise only fare(but it was comp with no perks, etc.) on Sunday and I can report back if it was worth not paying for drink package, etc.  We know we will have to pay for gratuities along with already paid taxes but we thought this might be a chance to see how we make out cost wise. We are elite so some drinks will be free.  If we can keep it under $1K we will have made a good choice.  We always sailwith premium package so this may really change our cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, Pushka said:

I’m confused. We booked a Sky Suite and nowhere did it state we were booking a cruise only rate. We expected Retreat and AI. On the paperwork it states Cruise Only. I’ve emailed celebrity and the reply is that it will take 8 weeks to respond. 
On the website it states suites are not bookable for Cruise Only. Any idea here?

Easiest way to see if you have AI is to log into your cruise planner and go to shore excursions or drink packages and see if it says you have OBC. If not, you booked cruise only....If you have 600 or 800, you have AI.

I have been looking at some transatlantic cruises from Celebrity and Royal for Spring 2023 and found decent pricing for both.  With Celebrity we would not to the AI since we are light drinkers and Elite.  Still, the Royal cruise was 25% cheaper and Diamond benefits are even better than Elite.