Would you take cruise rate only?

gordylad

We would book cruise rate if it made sense financially. Our earliest cruises hadn’t any packages, so we’ve had experience paying for Wi-Fi and drinks.

We live in the US, so we could get by without Wi-Fi for New England/Canada or Pacific Coastal cruises by using our Elite CC minutes while aboard and our mobiles in ports. This would not be the case for the repositioning and European cruises we’ve preferred thus far. On those, we’ve always purchased one Wi-Fi package. We always pay the posted gratuities (at a minimum) so it makes no difference how we pay them.

We like the Premium beverage package because most of the spirits, wines and beers we prefer are on that package (or have a surcharge above the package). We often use our discount to purchase a bottle of wine for special occasions. We do make good use of the Premium drink package but we don’t drink enough to save money having it. I would say we have broken even, on average. For us, it’s really the convenience of not constantly having to sign for beverages. We have carried our allowed two bottles of wine aboard once. We ended up giving one bottle to friends who were remaining in France for a land trip. We found that we really preferred enjoying our beverages while dining, listening to live music or having interesting conversations with fellow passengers.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not sure why you had to settle for Classic package wines.  We have done 5 cruises since the restart and on each there been some out of stock wines and liquors but we have always gotten a equivalent or better substituted. 

It was not all classic package wines just certain wines I wanted on the PBP were not available. I could have had the Elegance PN but do enjoy switching it up. This was the first Eclipse sailing in over 2 years and they just were not ready to sail. Perhaps in your cruise they substituted equivalent or better wines but they were not doing it on this cruise unless you paid the difference.  No exceptions.  One might I ordered the Opus cab and paid $10  extra plus gratuities. Seems Celebrity doesn't want to be out that amount of money. 

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

It was not all classic package wines just certain wines I wanted on the PBP were not available. I could have had the Elegance PN but do enjoy switching it up. This was the first Eclipse sailing in over 2 years and they just were not ready to sail. Perhaps in your cruise they substituted equivalent or better wines but they were not doing it on this cruise unless you paid the difference.  No exceptions.  One might I ordered the Opus cab and paid $10  extra plus gratuities. Seems Celebrity doesn't want to be out that amount of money. 

I just got off the phone with my CVP asking if I could book a solo cruise rate for this fall without all inclusive and he said Celebrity is not offering it just cruise only rates based on double occupancy. So I guess I'll look at other lines or a land vacation. Obviously they need revenue to continue to survive.  

I would and have in the past.    Unfortunately they are only being offered in less than Suite Class (some reports also doesn't apply to Aqua.

For us that are Zenith's we already getting free Premium Drink Package, Internet so paying for something we already get with the AI

My suggestion is to calculate what you use and what you don't and compare the price.   Often the perks save money but if you don't drink or only have a couple drinks a day  it might be a good option.

5 hours ago, gordylad said:

looking at future cruises and if I'm correct if you are Elite you can still take advantage of the free drinks perks between 5-7pm [if the times are still the same] therefore wondering if it might be best just to take a cruise only?

Any thoughts?

tx

yes, yes yes. It's what we and many others have been asking for for months. As Elite+, who cannot drink alcohol and don't need unlimited wifi it's a no brainer. 240 minutes each free of the faster wifi, Lattes, teas and chocolate free in Al Bacio, free water during the Elite Happy Hour, plus you can collect juices at the bar and take it to dinner. It's all about choice and we are delighted that Celebrity has at last acted and restored that choice. We have already booked a TA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most likely, no.

For us, it's about both value and even more so, convenience. We don't really need the Wi-Fi, but we pre-pay gratuities (as well as tipping beyond that in cash) and we always purchase the premium drink package.  So far, the All-Included with the Elevate package has cost us less than what we'd have paid by piecing out the gratuities and drinks.  And although I don't drink a lot anymore, even when we hit Elite I'm not going to wait around for a free happy hour to go enjoy a drink.  We want the freedom to drink what we want and when we want it.  And the specialty coffees, smoothies, etc... yum!

Edited by Vagabond Knight
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Afraid not.

I've done many cruises without free wifi and drink packages and have managed fine. Actually the only times I did the AI was last November on Silhouette and this April on Eclipse.  I did enjoy the perrier and Evian included with premium but can still bring a case onboard which I have done on the February Edge as the cruise only rate I had was so good just not worth upgrading. Also took advantage of my HH drinks. Worked out great. As far as wifi you can always find it free in the ports of call.  My 90 minutes Elite wifi was all I needed onboard. 

We rarely drink, but love our premium water; however, when in a suite, or not  if we can just book the cruise price, that will be our next cruise booking.  For now, we have mostly suites, but a couple of SV that include AI.  Of course we always will do the math, but pricing is also a concern that will dictate our choice of cabin going forward.  It is nice having cruises booked with all funds in our travel account...peace of mind going forward.  Furthermore, we do taste a few differnt drinks and I have been known to share, but being elite + can be a good thing.  Whatever works best for our situation is having options!

Edited by Lastdance

We would take the cruise only rate, at the right price. We get 240 minutes, pp, of the good internet and we’ve never used it all. The 3-4 free drinks we get, per day, is more than we normally drink. We also get to free bags of laundry, each. This is on Celebrity. As mentioned before, we always get a refundable obc, from our ta that more than covers the gratuities.

The current product does not come close to the asking price so we’ll se if that ever changes. If it doesn’t, we will find other uses for the cash. Haven’t sailed since October 2019 and every day that goes by makes it that much easier

I appreciate the All Inclusive for our first Celebrity cruise. Coming from Disney, even with the Elevate package, our cruise on the Apex will be significantly less expensive than similar stateroom and itinerary on the Disney Fantasy or Magic.  The kicker for me is the lack of free non-alcoholic beverages during the day. We both drink a fair amount of sodas as well as sparkling waters, so I was worried about sticker shock if we didn’t have a beverage package, plus the inconvenience factor.  Unlike our recent river cruise on the Seine where we could easily stock up on sodas in the villages and bring them on board, this cruise won’t have easy port shopping for groceries for us to supply our own.

I also do like to try new drinks and enjoy wine with meals and in the lounges, so we’ll see. Given that the promotional cruise credits more or less cover the additional costs, for us the question is “why not?”

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off the phone with my CVP asking if I could book a solo cruise rate for this fall without all inclusive and he said Celebrity is not offering it just cruise only rates based on double occupancy. So I guess I'll look at other lines or a land vacation. Obviously they need revenue to continue to survive.  

You can try Regent.  Our son is a solo cruiser and Regent is all inclusive which worked for him.  He loves great wines and had no problem with selection on Splendor.

• Thanks 1

I just read the Captain's Club benefits here, and I no longer see the 90 and 240 minutes; just a discount for purchase or upgrade.  Maybe that's an oversight, maybe not.  It definitely used to be there, clearly spelled out.  So I'm thinking, if I were Elite or Elite-Plus, I don't know if I would necessarily count on those free minutes going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Your CVP neglected to tell you there are solo discounts for many fall cruises that include AI.  You might want to do a dummy booking to check on any specific cruise you were eyeing.  The one I looked at was 10 night, Equinox, 24 Oct.  Solo veranda AI is $694 less than Cruise Only for two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I just read the Captain's Club benefits here, and I no longer see the 90 and 240 minutes; just a discount for purchase or upgrade.  Maybe that's an oversight, maybe not.  It definitely used to be there, clearly spelled out.  So I'm thinking, if I were Elite or Elite-Plus, I don't know if I would necessarily count on those free minutes going forward.

Unless it was changed in the last 2 weeks it’s still there 

42 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Unless it was changed in the last 2 weeks it’s still there 

The hotlink I included above is what's on the X website today for Captain's Club Membership Benefits.  I noticed the missing 90 and 240 minutes last night on my phone so checked again today where I could see for sure on a bigger screen.  Definitely MIA.

48 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

The hotlink I included above is what's on the X website today for Captain's Club Membership Benefits.  I noticed the missing 90 and 240 minutes last night on my phone so checked again today where I could see for sure on a bigger screen.  Definitely MIA.

Not missing. It's on the 3rd page with spreadsheet on the Internet line.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Hi Ruth,

As usual X has managed to make something simple complicated. They now offer Elite discounts and if you pre book you also get the pre booking discount on top and you get the 90 or 240 minutes free. In reality if you have AI you can use your free minutes first then swop to the lower speed. If you don't have AI use your free minutes first then buy a package on the ship for the balance of the cruise. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

You can see them on the "Full List"   90 minutes for Elite and  240 for Elite Plus  -  Not sure why they don't have it on the summary.

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/a54eb4aa#/a54eb4aa/2

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Hi Ruth,

As usual X has managed to make something simple complicated. They now offer Elite discounts and if you pre book you also get the pre booking discount on top and you get the 90 or 240 minutes free. In reality if you have AI you can use your free minutes first then swop to the lower speed. If you don't have AI use your free minutes first then buy a package on the ship for the balance of the cruise. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

We were elite for the first time on our recent cruise. We had no idea that the free minutes had to be used first. Wasn’t too happy when I wanted to use them and couldn’t. It was frustrating that we had no idea about this or other Elite benefits 

12 hours ago, drakes2 said:

They certainly won't give you a better wine at no additional charge.  They have done this in the past but it appears its no longer the case.  

On the Summit last week, they actually did give me a more expensive sparkling wine in the MDR a few nights when they had run out of prosecco. 

Probably not, but we usually book sky suites, so kind of moot.

That said, we had to move a booking in Aqua with Go Best (remember that?) out a couple of months due to missing the Covid cutoff, and they wouldn't honor it in spite of changing the port I booked for.  So, to make up for my disappointment (not a total loss, as I'm working the California Primary), we rebooked for July with the preferred port.  We ended up moving to Concierge (price wasn't much different then balcony) with Elevate to get the drink package.

So my question - we're Elite,  I'm debating buying the upgrade from surf to stream.  If I'm reading this correctly I can use my Elite minutes first, and then switch to the AI surf package?  

On the other hand, we have enough OBC to buy the stream upgrade and still have more than enough.

Thoughts?

No, I woukd not book a cruise only rate unless it was a screaming good deal.

But,  I would not pay the significant higher fare associated with a Refundable deposit.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1