Would you take cruise rate only?

gordylad

We would and have taken a cruise only rate. For our 9 day cruise for two adults and a baby the difference was over £1000. I thjnk we worked the gratuities out to be about £350. My baby will not be drinking or using WiFi. I am teetotal and my husband may have a couple of whiskies the whole trip and that's it. As we are from the UK and going to Europe we have free Internet in port and from what we heard its really poor anyway. 

So saved us around £700 by not having it. Its a no brainer 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazey said:

We have a comp cruise and to add standard drink, wifi and tips would be $1866 or for adding standard drink package would be $492/pp.  I cannot make sense of paying $1866 and we never use WIFI.  We will get to see exactly what it will cost us for the week for tips and drinks. Not sure where the $50/pp comes from even if one deducts the $217 gratuity.  Hope I am not surprised.

The difference is that the AI rates are a cost reduced bundle of the items that you listed with their “retail cost” if purchased separately.  Basically Celebrity has declared this the Always Included standard rate and the Cruise Only is a cost reduced more limited option.  I am sure that everyone agrees that in hind site, the term AI (Always Included)  is rather silly.  I am convinced that Celebrity wants to guide most cruisers to AI and NRD bookings.  I am amazed with the significant cost difference that people still book Refundable deposits.  
Celebrity has been doing this for many years with the previous 123 and BBB bundling programs.  
Nice to have choices.   

• Like 1

I would also consider the cruise only rate when we travel again. We are now Elite and that would give us the drinks from 5-7 pm. I was checking the benefits for Elite on their website and I don’t see anywhere of any wifi free minutes. I only see the discount off of the wifi packages. Everyone seems to mention the free minutes so where can this be found.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, jelayne said:

Every time we have done the math the AI price is better for us.  We prefer the liquors and wines on the Premium package and we need at least 1 stream & I surf internet package.  

In 2018 we booked a B2B, both legs 14 N, and in a Suite.  The 1st leg we had the Premium beverage package & wi-fi.  We had a great time beginning with a morning visit to Cafe Al Bacio, for premium juice and macchiato, afternoon Pina coladas at the pool, visited the Martini bar nightly, late evenings in the lounge drinking and dancing, etc.  

2nd leg no drink package so carried a drink from Michael’s to the theater, back to Michael’s to get a glass of wine to take to Luminae, the glass was always empty long before dinner so ended up buying  2  wine bottle packages for dinner.    Cut my Carmel macchiato’s from 2 to 1, same with pool side Pina coladas,  rarely visited the Martini Bar or Sky Lounge and went back to a often empty Michael’s for a nightcap.  Between the wine packages and the cost of purchased drinks we saved about $300 over the 14 nights.  Decided it wasn’t worth it.  

What wasnt worth it, the AI package or having to go back and forth to Michaels to get free drinks?

8 hours ago, mk960072 said:

What wasnt worth it, the AI package or having to go back and forth to Michaels to get free drinks?

When I opt out of the AI package I utilize my HH Elite benefits. Recently while on the Edge I frequented the bar in Eden made sure my wine was topped up prior to dinner. Many nights I was able to get Decoy cab and when they didn't have it they substituted with a great Aussie cabernet.  I don't like the Pina Coladas onboard, prefer to wait till I get to a port much much better and stronger. They also use Coco Lopez coconut cream as opposed to the awful mix on the ship.  One of the best was a few weeks ago on Waikiki Beach during happy hour. 

20220505_180650.jpg

"AI" and drink packages have only one objective: make money for Celebrity.  No one can drink the amount of liquor in a "drinks" package and stile healthy.  Celebrity (and others) are simply betting that people presume it s "good deal" and opt for the packages.  Celebrity wins!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

One of the best was a few weeks ago on Waikiki Beach during happy hour. 

20220505_180650.jpg

Little drink umbrellas make everything taste better.  😉  🌂   No, I am sure they tasted good even without the umbrellas. 😃

🍹

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"AI" and drink packages have only one objective: make money for Celebrity.  No one can drink the amount of liquor in a "drinks" package and stile healthy.  Celebrity (and others) are simply betting that people presume it s "good deal" and opt for the packages.  Celebrity wins!

I’m not sure about that.   I’ve read some live threads where the author would drink over 10 a day.   

23 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

They are trying to make money? Shocking. You could easily consume 3 glasses of wine, 2 coffees and 2 bottles of water and exceed in value the retail price of the premium package. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

They are trying to make money? Shocking. You could easily consume 3 glasses of wine, 2 coffees and 2 bottles of water and exceed in value the retail price of the premium package. 

But what is the value price?  The high markup drink package price that many wouldn’t purchase (without AI)?  The cost to Celebrity of the drinks is much lower. The number that matters to Celebrity is their profit. And people don’t drink the same when they have a drink package compared to paying by the drink so it’s not a simple tallying up of drinks consumed. 

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I think it's a good deal and stay healthy. 😉

Here is a conservative take.

~ 5 drinks/day @ $15.00 each = $75.00

~ evian 2 large bottles and 8 small bottles/day = The little ones are $5.50 each.  Not sure about the large bottles.  I'll go low and say $55.00/day on water.  

~ 3 Iced Teas at Cafe al Bacio/day.  I don't even know how much they would cost but let's say $3.00 each which is probably low. = $9.00

+ Add gratuity to each of those

If I didn't have a beverage package, I would still drink the same things/amount.  The prices are set so there is no getting around how much you pay.

Everyone is different.  Some people don't drink alcohol, some have one drink a day so for those people, having an All Inclusive rate may not make sense.  If I didn't have any alcoholic beverages I would need the Premium Water Package since I consume more than what that would cost per day.  I like to enjoy cocktails so having the All Inclusive, based on Celebrity's per drink prices, makes sense for me.  😃

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

53 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Little drink umbrellas make everything taste better.  😉  🌂   No, I am sure they tasted good even without the umbrellas. 😃

🍹

@PinkSandGirlthey even had a large slice of pineapple on the rim but I think we ate it before taking picture. $7 during HH.  Drinks and dessert all in one. Yummy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Agree with the 'make money' part.   However ... ha ha ha as if health has anything to do with all of this and decisions I make how to enjoy my vacation.  Everything about cruising is detrimental to my health ... the buffet, getting too much sun, drinking more than the one alcoholic 'drink' that might claim to be good for my heart (LOL), the cappuccinos !  Guess unhealthy people like me work against Celebrity's objective 😉.

47 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I think it's a good deal and stay healthy. 😉

~ evian 2 large bottles and 8 small bottles/day = The little ones are $5.50 each.  Not sure about the large bottles.  I'll go low and say $55.00/day on water.  

~ 3 Iced Teas at Cafe al Bacio/day.  I don't even know how much they would cost but let's say $3.00 each which is probably low. = $9.00

If I didn't have a beverage package, I would still drink the same things/amount.  The prices are set so there is no getting around how much you pay.

Everyone is different.  Some people don't drink alcohol, some have one drink a day so for those people, having an All Inclusive rate may not make sense.  If I didn't have any alcoholic beverages I would need the Premium Water Package since I consume more than what that would cost per day.  I like to enjoy cocktails so having the All Inclusive, based on Celebrity's per drink prices, makes sense for me.  😃

🍹

The small Evian is $3.50 and 5.50 for large. Not too sure about perrier either $2 50 or $3 50.  The specialty teas in cafe el bacio the ones in little yellow boxes are $5. (I asked the price).  I would take one to cabin and then use it in spa Cafe in the morning.  Had my cocktail each night at World class bar.  Love the 25th anniversary martini it is $1 surcharge over premium package. Once I got charged the extra buck plus gratuities. So if you do the math yes you can and will come out ahead. Just 2 large Evian water a day will take you there.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:46 AM, dazey said:

We have a comp cruise and to add standard drink, wifi and tips would be $1866 or for adding standard drink package would be $492/pp.  I cannot make sense of paying $1866 and we never use WIFI.  We will get to see exactly what it will cost us for the week for tips and drinks. Not sure where the $50/pp comes from even if one deducts the $217 gratuity.  Hope I am not surprised.

If you have high enough BCC status you receive free internet minutes in addition to your CC status

Just now, drakes2 said:

The small Evian is $3.50 and 5.50 for large. Not too sure about perrier either $2 50 or $3 50.  The specialty teas in cafe el bacio the ones in little yellow boxes are $5. (I asked the price).  I would take one to cabin and then use it in spa Cafe in the morning.  Had my cocktail each night at World class bar.  Love the 25th anniversary martini it is $1 surcharge over premium package. Once I got charged the extra buck plus gratuities. So if you do the math yes you can and will come out ahead. Just 2 large Evian water a day will take you there.

I wasn't sure about the evian cost since I didn't have to pay.   I looked at a menu picture I took at the Sky Bar and it showed $5.50.  Each time I asked for evian (at any of the bars) I was always given the small bottle except when dining so I thought that was it.  Either way @ $3.50/bottle, having the premium beverage package is a necessity for me. 😉 Obviously based on Celebrity's pricing.   The prices onboard aren't real world prices.  I currently pay $15.50/case (12 bottles) of 1 liter evian bottles.  

Before they switched to glass, you were always given the 1 liter bottles at the bars.  

Yes, the English Breakfast Iced Tea I get is from the yellow Tea Forte boxes (with the little leaf). 😃

I've never had the 25th Anniversary martini, even though I've had many on the drink list. 🍸 

🍹

The question is about choices, as long as there is a choice of not taking the Always Included, at a lower price, other people can take it and drink their kidneys silly. If it’s the only choice, it’s a deal breaker for us, and I’m sure we aren’t the only ones.

Yes!! I am Elite and one drink a day is fine with me. I pretty much don't drink on a regular basis. Just an occasional vacation drink. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, lol. And I try to stay off the internet while on vacation so the 90 (I think it is) Elite minutes is fine with me

30 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The question is about choices, as long as there is a choice of not taking the Always Included, at a lower price, other people can take it and drink their kidneys silly. If it’s the only choice, it’s a deal breaker for us, and I’m sure we aren’t the only ones.

@grandgeezernot to mention the liver damage all that alcohol can do if you continue to consume high levels. 

On 6/4/2022 at 5:12 AM, verizon said:

I am trying to book Royal and I will be Diamond.

Do they use coupons at the Diamond lounge?

If you order a drink in the Diamond lounge, it will count against your 4 drinks. Make sure to swing by the bar on the way to the cabin each night and get take away waters/beer/..... with any leftover coupons. 

2 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I completely agree with your conclusion that the package is worth it for you (and many others, including me).  However, there's a flaw in your reasoning.  When it comes to figuring the cost of the non-alcoholic items, the max daily cost you should add would be that of the non-alcoholic package that best applies, plus any NA drinks that aren't covered by that NA package (if any).  In your case, it would be the premium NA package, so the bolded items should be a total of $24/day (plus gratuities) rather than $64/day.

Considering that the Premium Package is $84/day, it's still a mighty fine deal.  Drop one of the $15 drinks, and it's a wash.  

9 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I completely agree with your conclusion that the package is worth it for you (and many others, including me).  However, there's a flaw in your reasoning.  When it comes to figuring the cost of the non-alcoholic items, the max daily cost you should add would be that of the non-alcoholic package that best applies, plus any NA drinks that aren't covered by that NA package (if any).  In your case, it would be the premium NA package, so the bolded items should be a total of $24/day (plus gratuities) rather than $64/day.

Considering that the Premium Package is $84/day, it's still a mighty fine deal.  Drop one of the $15 drinks, and it's a wash.  

I see your point, completely valid if I stuck to 4 cocktails.  😉  Since I don't, premium it is.  😉

🍹

• Like 1