Cruise with Confidence Confusion.

So we have a cruise on Sept 4 2022 that is covered under CWC. Final payment is this Monday. The question is if I cancel at 24 hours because of a cover insurance reason, stuff happens. What is my total covered cost I need to insure. Just the deposit or the total cruise cost. The Terms and conditions on RCCl web site don’t help. It just makes it seams like we are out of Luck. Terms below.

“Cruise with Confidence” is a voluntary program designed to provide guests with different options and additional flexibility when booking a cruise. If a guest does not opt-in to receive a CWC FCC, the cancellation policy tied to the guest’s reservation at booking will continue to apply. However, if a guest opts-in to receive a CWC FCC at a time when the booking is subject to cancellation charges that would otherwise have been less than 100% of total cruise fare, by opting in to receive a CWC FCC, the guest agrees to become immediately subject to cancellation charges equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid to RCI. By requesting a CWC FCC, the guest has cancelled his or her reservation and waives any right to receive any refund of the cruise fare paid, even if the sailing is later canceled. If a guest elects to receive a CWC FCC, or otherwise cancels his or her reservation, cancellation charges incurred by the guest on the reservation will not be waived or refunded for any reason, except as otherwise provided herein or required by applicable law.”

11 hours ago, link99 said:

What is my total covered cost I need to insure?

You'd want to insure the whole cost as at 24 hours out CWC is no longer applicable (you have to cancel under CWC 2+ days out).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So?

Final payment is in 24 hours but not the cruise. If canceled now risk is just the deposit that the OP would get back as FCC.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1

Just now, Saab4444 said:

Final payment is in 24 hours but not the cruise. If canceled niw risk is just the deposit that the OP would get back as FCC.

The way I read the OP was asking about canceling 24 hours from the cruise - not before final payment.

37 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Final payment is in 24 hours but not the cruise. If canceled now risk is just the deposit that the OP would get back as FCC.

Just to update a recent change with RCCL, if you are referring to a NRD being issued as an FCC (less $100 pp penalty) that will no longer be the case.  I believe the effective date was June1, but moving forward bookings made with a NRD will lose the entire deposit if the cruise is canceled prior to final payment. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to update a recent change with RCCL, if you are referring to a NRD being issued as an FCC (less $100 pp penalty) that will no longer be the case.  I believe the effective date was June1, but moving forward bookings made with a NRD will lose the entire deposit if the cruise is canceled prior to final payment. 

If booked under CWC like the OP it is still the case.

Edited by Saab4444

If you are asking for the amount to insure - include prepaid nonrefundable expenses. You can exclude port fees and taxes if that amount makes a significant difference in your premium.

The reason for insuring this way is that you will get 100% cash reimbursement from insurance if you cancel for a covered reason. There is no cut-off for when you can cancel.

The CWC program is independent of your insurance coverage. You do not have to accept it in place of reimbursement. The claims process will require you to reveal the cruise line’s cancellation policy, but that is to make sure that you are not doubly compensated.

There are companies that will allow you to insure only the deposit and increase coverage as expenses are added. Talk to a professional like one of the agents at Trip Insurance Store to find out how to do this.

The only way you would get anything back with CWC at 24 hours prior is if you test positive for covid.   So I'm not sure why you wouldn't insure anything other than the whole cruise cost?

CWC will get you an FCC, insurance will get you a refund.

31 minutes ago, whitshel said:

The only way you would get anything back with CWC at 24 hours prior is if you test positive for covid.   So I'm not sure why you wouldn't insure anything other than the whole cruise cost?

CWC will get you an FCC, insurance will get you a refund.

That is my thinking. I don’t know why anyone would even worry about CWC if he plans to buy insurance. Get a good comprehensive travel policy at final payment and you’re covered.

Didn't the purpose of CWC cover if you did not like the current protochols, like masking, reduced capacity, no shows.....etc?  But the cruise is normal now, and everyone knows when booking you need a test.....so shouldn't all cancellation rules now apply. 

20 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

.....so shouldn't all cancellation rules now apply. 

Basically as I see it yes, as CWC is only currently valid with bookings made by March 31, '22 and taken by September 30, '22.  So, as I understand it, anything booked since April 1 or taken after September 30 is under the original booking rules.  Travel insurance becomes more important as a result.

The testing requirement makes the whole thing a bit of a catch-22 IMO and it would be nice to think that maybe by October 1 that requirement would be lifted to coincide with the September 30 CWC expiration.  Just my wishful thinking.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Basically as I see it yes, as CWC is only currently valid with bookings made by March 31, '22 and taken by September 30, '22.  So, as I understand it, anything booked since April 1 or taken after September 30 is under the original booking rules.  Travel insurance becomes more important as a result.

The testing requirement makes the whole thing a bit of a catch-22 IMO and it would be nice to think that maybe by October 1 that requirement would be lifted to coincide with the September 30 CWC expiration.  Just my wishful thinking.

Catch-22? How so? Insurance covers that, too.

47 minutes ago, Babr said:

Catch-22? How so? Insurance covers that, too.

Just an expression, and maybe not a good comparison.  Just that there no longer is a fallback to failing the required test.  And - as you indicate - it reinforces the need for insurance that would cover that.  

CWC was a good option put in place in order to encourage you to start booking again in support of the cruise lines' needed recovery.  Now that option is gone but one of the main criteria that it supported in order to be able to cruise - a negative test - remains, with us now shouldering all the risk. 

I get it and certainly not complaining - just hopeful that the testing will also change at some point to make the return to the standard booking and cancelation penalties aligned without the test caveat as they originally were.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just a note i find a lot of cancellation insurance (at least in canada) says they won’t cover it if you can get a travel credit. Make sure you read the fine print.

I realize that is a criteria in Canada.  And CWC provided that credit.  Without that in place, as I understand it there would not be any.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I realize that is a criteria in Canada.  And CWC provided that credit.  Without that in place, as I understand it there would not be any.

I would say you are Correct. I can cancel this cruise on September 01 2022 48 hours  before and get a 100% future cruise credit to use within a year. I can cancel for any reason. The big Hole in this is,What happens at hour 47 through 0. CWC is. not an option then. Example Accident on way to cruise, Death in Family 24 hours before ect. That last 48 hours is not insured and I think I would loose  100%. If not insured.

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You'd want to insure the whole cost as at 24 hours out CWC is no longer applicable (you have to cancel under CWC 2+ days out).

Thank you. That is my thought to.

8 hours ago, Babr said:

If you are asking for the amount to insure - include prepaid nonrefundable expenses. You can exclude port fees and taxes if that amount makes a significant difference in your premium.

The reason for insuring this way is that you will get 100% cash reimbursement from insurance if you cancel for a covered reason. There is no cut-off for when you can cancel.

The CWC program is independent of your insurance coverage. You do not have to accept it in place of reimbursement. The claims process will require you to reveal the cruise line’s cancellation policy, but that is to make sure that you are not doubly compensated.

There are companies that will allow you to insure only the deposit and increase coverage as expenses are added. Talk to a professional like one of the agents at Trip Insurance Store to find out how to do this.

Yes that is what I want to know. I reached out to the Trip Insurance Store and will be taking with them tomorrow to get a policy before final payment, which is also due tomorrow.

Edited by link99
Spelling

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My booking and  sail date meet both those requirements