Back from HAL Med cruise on Oosterdam

Oldies123

On 6/5/2022 at 10:14 AM, cruisemom42 said:

It sounds very chaotic.

To be fair, the change at Venice is an issue not of HAL's making. For at least 10 years there have been rumblings about the continued damage to Venice and potential for even worse by letting large cruise ships continue to transit through Venice to reach the Marittima port. But instead of being sensible and coming up with (and implementing) a plan in that time period, the Italian authorities put their heads in the sand and refused to act until they were virtually threatened by UNESCO (and some citizens) to take action. Which they finally did, disastrously...

So now, until Italy has a solution in place, no ships can go into Venice. And as usual, Italy appears to have given preference to their own lines (Costa, MSC) plus a few of the smaller more luxury lines to go into Marghera and use that facility, which still allows for check-in at Venice and a (shorter) bus-ride. The only other options right now are Trieste and Ravenna, both of which are quite a trek from Venice.

Great move banning ships from Venice....it was a long time coming.

Just a comment about lack of food availability when shore excursions come back late or the day is off kilter in some way...

I don't think that's a HAL thing.  It's more of a thing that varies by ship, depending on the quality of the hotel director.  Some just seem to keep to an unvarying routine, and some are a cut above and responsive to daily occurrences; they stay on top of their various departments.

That's what we've observed, anyhow.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Just a comment about lack of food availability when shore excursions come back late or the day is off kilter in some way...

I don't think that's a HAL thing.  It's more of a thing that varies by ship, depending on the quality of the hotel director.  Some just seem to keep to an unvarying routine, and some are a cut above and responsive to daily occurrences; they stay on top of their various departments.

That's what we've observed, anyhow.

Good point about it being a director thing. I have definitely experienced it on other ships and other lines as well, but usually I chalked it up to them not being a premium line like HAL. 

I think it depends on how you sail on celebrity.  If you are in the upper suites on any line it’s going to be a nicer experience.  I can even see it being better than Neptune suites.  What would be interesting to hear about is the experience in a regular balcony.  I’ve sailed a couple times on celebrity and it was nothing special.  I found the food to be repetitive and some downright bad.  It’s been a few years so I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it again but it won’t be in a upper end suite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think it depends on how you sail on celebrity.  If you are in the upper suites on any line it’s going to be a nicer experience.  I can even see it being better than Neptune suites.  What would be interesting to hear about is the experience in a regular balcony.  I’ve sailed a couple times on celebrity and it was nothing special.  I found the food to be repetitive and some downright bad.  It’s been a few years so I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it again but it won’t be in a upper end suite.

We book the entry level Sky Suites which has a cabin about the size of HAL Signature suites and is close to the same price per day as the Signature suites and way less than a Neptune Suite. When we have sailed HAL we book the Signature Suites, which are "Suites" in name only.

The Sky Suite will get you:

1) The premium drinks package $15 and less with no daily drink limits

2) The premium streaming Wi-Fi

3) All Gratuities

4) The Luminae, suites only private fine dining restaurant with a totally different menu than the MDR that changes every day, No club Orange one extra entre BS. Open for Breakfast and dinner, and lunch on sea days and embarkation

5) A dedicated Retreat Host (Butler) for your cabin that provides many services including room service for meals and drinks.

6) A suites only lounge with a full time full service bar tender, all drinks are no charge

7) Priority boarding on embarkation, on tenders and debarkatio

8) Embarkation Check in at most home ports with a VIP lounge at the terminal while waiting to board 

9) Dedicated Retreat concierges that will book you into sold out shore excursions and specialty restaurants.

10) On the newer Edge Class ships you have a private suites only sun deck with a pool, full service bar and snacks.

11) On board credit of $300 to $600pp depending on cruise length that can be used for booking shore excursions and specialty restaurants before you board. 

Now compare all of that with what you do not get on HAL even in their higher priced Neptune and Pinnacle suites and tell me which line is more premium for their higher end suites customers. If you want to compare the more standard verandah cabins Celebrity has Aqua Class that has many amenities and a private dinning venue Blu, which also has a different menu every day that is not the MDR one. On most cruises Aqua class cabins are around 10% more in cost than the standard Vernada cabins. Unitil we took our first Celebrity cruise last year in a Sky Suite, we had no idea how much more we get for the same costs over HAL That was the point I was no longer a HAL cheerleader and switched our loyalties, BYW we are 3 star,  with HAL and we are giving that up too.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Great move banning ships from Venice....it was a long time coming.

Don't get me wrong -- I totally agree with what Venice has decided to do. But it's been under discussion for many years and it would have been so much more sensible to start implementing a solution while phasing out cruising rather than stopping all cruises by fiat without a good solution available.

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We book the entry level Sky Suites which has a cabin about the size of HAL Signature suites and is close to the same price per day as the Signature suites and way less than a Neptune Suite. When we have sailed HAL we book the Signature Suites, which are "Suites" in name only.

The Sky Suite will get you:

1) The premium drinks package $15 and less with no daily drink limits

2) The premium streaming Wi-Fi

3) All Gratuities

4) The Luminae, suites only private fine dining restaurant with a totally different menu than the MDR that changes every day, No club Orange one extra entre BS. Open for Breakfast and dinner, and lunch on sea days and embarkation

5) A dedicated Retreat Host (Butler) for your cabin that provides many services including room service for meals and drinks.

6) A suites only lounge with a full time full service bar tender, all drinks are no charge

7) Priority boarding on embarkation, on tenders and debarkatio

😎 Embarkation Check in at most home ports with a VIP lounge at the terminal while waiting to board 

9) Dedicated Retreat concierges that will book you into sold out shore excursions and specialty restaurants.

10) On the newer Edge Class ships you have a private suites only sun deck with a pool, full service bar and snacks.

11) On board credit of $300 to $600pp depending on cruise length that can be used for booking shore excursions and specialty restaurants before you board. 

Now compare all of that with what you do not get on HAL even in their higher priced Neptune and Pinnacle suites and tell me which line is more premium for their higher end suites customers. If you want to compare the more standard verandah cabins Celebrity has Aqua Class that has many amenities and a private dinning venue Blu, which also has a different menu every day that is not the MDR one. On most cruises Aqua class cabins are around 10% more in cost than the standard Vernada cabins. Unitil we took our first Celebrity cruise last year in a Sky Suite, we had no idea how much more we get for the same costs over HAL That was the point I was no longer a HAL cheerleader and switched our loyalties, BYW we are 3 star,  with HAL and we are giving that up too.

I pulled up plain old Caribbean cruise in November on a large online site.  The cruises that I pulled up were 3 to 4 times more on celebrity.  Even adjusting for the booze package it would be at least double.  There is another poster on this board that says premium cruise lines have the same price as hal.  If you cherry pick maybe it’s possible.  I’m not paying double for celebrity.  I’m not a hal cheerleader by any means and I take a lot of heat on here for that.  That said I am a realist.

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't get me wrong -- I totally agree with what Venice has decided to do. But it's been under discussion for many years and it would have been so much more sensible to start implementing a solution while phasing out cruising rather than stopping all cruises by fiat without a good solution available.

I believe the Italian government is planning to build a new modern cruise port in the Industrial area near Maghera, but that will be years before if ever it will be open. They have been talking about this for years and no Contruction has begun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I cruise Celebrity in a lowly inside or sometimes outside cabin and I like the shipboard experience far more than HAL. The thing that brings me back to HAL are the itineraries. 

I find the Celebrity ships beautiful on the inside -- sleek and modern design with the occasional "wink". Particularly on the M-class ships there are many places where you have a good connection to the sea. Both M and S class ships have a forward-looking observation lounge with large glass windows; I feel Celebrity utilizes the space better (e.g., that's where trivia is usually held and in the evening after dinner it's their lounge for live music, usually themed...such as 60s night, new wave night, etc.). M-class dining rooms are beautiful with huge windows aft and fantastic sea views.  The cabins and bathrooms are well laid out although I think slightly smaller than HAL staterooms. As I am not one who spends much time in my cabin, I am fine with this -- the shower has a glass door, the storage is fine, the bed is comfortable.

For my tastes, Celebrity food is better than HAL, particularly recently. Let me say, in fairness, that I like fancy food, rich food, ethnic food, food with a lot of seasoning. Not for me a big hunk of meat, some scalloped potatoes and a limp, unseasoned veg mix. Celebrity's offerings are varied and I find them better seasoned and tastier than most lines. Not only do they offer a greater number of entrees each night than HAL, they of course have the "always available" items that includes at minimum a steak, chicken, and salmon. (And on my recent Celebrity Silhouette cruise they even varied the "always available" items so there were additional options....).  The apps tend to be very tasty and they do excellent creamed vegetable soups -- even my son loves them. Only the salads are "just okay".  Basket of bread always on the table at dinner with different tasty varieties each night as well as three different types of butter!  And yes, they have sommeliers.

I also think Murano (on all S-class ships) is far and away the best extra-charge restaurant I've tried at sea. The whole experience just spoils you, from amuse-bouche and table-side preparation for some dishes to  delicious souffles and a really excellent cheese cart.

Entertainment is more lively on Celebrity. There is live music playing in one lounge after dinner, there is a large stage with something each night (including aerialists), and often there is a late-night comedy show. The ice bar is lively at night. That's not even to mention the bands playing and other activities in the Atrium area. During the day you'll find live music in various places including one of my favorite hangouts, the Cafe al Bacio (premium coffee and free patisserie) -- where you might find a quiet acoustic guitarist playing.

Celebrity does not have a wrap-around promenade, it's true. That's something that has never mattered to me. When I cruise I get my exercise ashore. But there are places to sit outside, in sun or shade, and I think all Celebrity ships have a dedicated inside pool area for cruises where the weather isn't cooperative.

The buffet model is many individual stations. I mainly eat there for breakfast only, with the occasional lunch. It works fine, no real plus/minus from HAL. Since the restart there is no self service.

I find the crew just as pleasant as HAL -- just as happy to see me, greet me, fulfill my request. The ship officers, unlike HAL's, are often to be found out and about the ship, engaging passengers, participating in shows, and clearly enjoying their work. 

I don't gamble or go to the spa, so can't help there. But in terms of checking the boxes of what I like to do when onboard a ship, Celebrity does pretty well, and I find the ships very easy on the eyes. Caveat:  I have not sailed their newest class of ships which have come in for their share of criticism about both cabin design and overall ship decor.

Most of their cruises now include their basic drinks package, basic internet package and gratuities. On my last cruise I got off the ship with something like a $32 credit for OBC I couldn't even use up, and that's after spending some on a couple of shorex (since I wasn't sure whether we'd be allowed off in all ports on our own...)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I pulled up plain old Caribbean cruise in November on a large online site.  The cruises that I pulled up were 3 to 4 times more on celebrity.  Even adjusting for the booze package it would be at least double.  There is another poster on this board that says premium cruise lines have the same price as hal.  If you cherry pick maybe it’s possible.  I’m not paying double for celebrity.  I’m not a hal cheerleader by any means and I take a lot of heat on here for that.  That said I am a realist.

I just pulled up a 7 night cruise for next April on the Rotterdam in the Caribbean and the HAL web site shows a Signature suite at $2799pp with the Have it all included.  We are booked on the Equinox next June in a Sky Suite similar itinerary for $2649pp. Now with all I said above that is included in our Sky suite, which one is the better value?  I am not cherry picking just comparing a cruise we already booked.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I cruise Celebrity in a lowly inside or sometimes outside cabin and I like the shipboard experience far more than HAL. The thing that brings me back to HAL are the itineraries. 

I find the Celebrity ships beautiful on the inside -- sleek and modern design with the occasional "wink". Particularly on the M-class ships there are many places where you have a good connection to the sea. Both M and S class ships have a forward-looking observation lounge with large glass windows; I feel Celebrity utilizes the space better (e.g., that's where trivia is usually held and in the evening after dinner it's their lounge for live music, usually themed...such as 60s night, new wave night, etc.). M-class dining rooms are beautiful with huge windows aft and fantastic sea views.  The cabins and bathrooms are well laid out although I think slightly smaller than HAL staterooms. As I am not one who spends much time in my cabin, I am fine with this -- the shower has a glass door, the storage is fine, the bed is comfortable.

For my tastes, Celebrity food is better than HAL, particularly recently. Let me say, in fairness, that I like fancy food, rich food, ethnic food, food with a lot of seasoning. Not for me a big hunk of meat, some scalloped potatoes and a limp, unseasoned veg mix. Celebrity's offerings are varied and I find them better seasoned and tastier than most lines. Not only do they offer a greater number of entrees each night than HAL, they of course have the "always available" items that includes at minimum a steak, chicken, and salmon. (And on my recent Celebrity Silhouette cruise they even varied the "always available" items so there were additional options....).  The apps tend to be very tasty and they do excellent creamed vegetable soups -- even my son loves them. Only the salads are "just okay".  Basket of bread always on the table at dinner with different tasty varieties each night as well as three different types of butter!  And yes, they have sommeliers.

I also think Murano (on all S-class ships) is far and away the best extra-charge restaurant I've tried at sea. The whole experience just spoils you, from amuse-bouche and table-side preparation for some dishes to  delicious souffles and a really excellent cheese cart.

Entertainment is more lively on Celebrity. There is live music playing in one lounge after dinner, there is a large stage with something each night (including aerialists), and often there is a late-night comedy show. The ice bar is lively at night. That's not even to mention the bands playing and other activities in the Atrium area. During the day you'll find live music in various places including one of my favorite hangouts, the Cafe al Bacio (premium coffee and free patisserie) -- where you might find a quiet acoustic guitarist playing.

Celebrity does not have a wrap-around promenade, it's true. That's something that has never mattered to me. When I cruise I get my exercise ashore. But there are places to sit outside, in sun or shade, and I think all Celebrity ships have a dedicated inside pool area for cruises where the weather isn't cooperative.

The buffet model is many individual stations. I mainly eat there for breakfast only, with the occasional lunch. It works fine, no real plus/minus from HAL. Since the restart there is no self service.

I find the crew just as pleasant as HAL -- just as happy to see me, greet me, fulfill my request. The ship officers, unlike HAL's, are often to be found out and about the ship, engaging passengers, participating in shows, and clearly enjoying their work. 

I don't gamble or go to the spa, so can't help there. But in terms of checking the boxes of what I like to do when onboard a ship, Celebrity does pretty well, and I find the ships very easy on the eyes. Caveat:  I have not sailed their newest class of ships which have come in for their share of criticism about both cabin design and overall ship decor.

Most of their cruises now include their basic drinks package, basic internet package and gratuities. On my last cruise I got off the ship with something like a $32 credit for OBC I couldn't even use up, and that's after spending some on a couple of shorex (since I wasn't sure whether we'd be allowed off in all ports on our own...)

Thank you for that perspective.  It’s gotten a lot better from the sounds of it. It’s sounds like we like similar foods.  I like a lot of flavour and spice, not bland or huge slabs of meat.  It’s been quite a while though since hal has served slabs of meat.  Most portions I’ve seen have been about 2 oz.  ok I guess if you are eating burgers, fries and ice cream and cookies all day.  It’s a bit light for me.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I just pulled up a 7 night cruise for next April on the Rotterdam in the Caribbean and the HAL web site shows a Signature suite at $2799pp with the Have it all included.  We are booked on the Equinox next June in a Sky Suite similar itinerary for $2649pp. Now with all I said above that is included in our Sky suite, which one is the better value?  I am not cherry picking just comparing a cruise we already booked.

I didn’t look on the hal/celebrity site.  I looked at an online travel site.  You wouldn’t think they’d be so far off on price.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My TA who is a huge Celebrity fan did her first HAL post Covid cruise last month on the Rotterdam in a standard verandah. She was totally disappointed with the food in the MDR and specialties compared to her cruise the month before on the Edge. She told me the HAL food quality has gone so downhill since COVID. 

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My TA....cruise last month on the Rotterdam in a standard verandah. She was totally disappointed with the food in the MDR and specialties compared to her cruise the month before on the Edge. She told me the HAL food quality has gone so downhill since COVID. 

Interesting. The food on my Zuiderdam 10 day cruise in April was excellent as always. 

Sorry to hear that your TA didn't have a good cruise on the new Rotterdam.  I'm confused though when you write that she did "her first HAL post Covid cruise last month on the Rotterdam" and that "the HAL food quality has gone so downhill since COVID."    The Rotterdam began sailing less than a year ago. It didn't sail pre-COVID, only post COVID. How would she be able to know about the quality of food in the entire fleet, when the ship she was on has only been in service since October ? 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting. The food on my Zuiderdam 10 day cruise in April was excellent as always. 

Sorry to hear that your TA didn't have a good cruise on the new Rotterdam. Has he/she taken other HAL cruises since COVID, and was the food also not up to par on those ships ? 

It’s been excellent on the koningsdam as well.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing. I do have to say I am now extremely troubled as I am taking my niece on her cruise embarking in Venice/Trieste on June 25th for 14 days. Wishing I would have done more research on the age of the ship and read reviews…  so a 2 hr coach ride to Trieste…when did they let you know that tidbit?  I am set up for the transfer but have not been given a departure time for the transfer… any more info you can share to make it less frustrating would helpful. Thank you

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Sorry to hear that your TA didn't have a good cruise on the new Rotterdam.  I'm confused though when you write that she did "her first HAL post Covid cruise last month on the Rotterdam" and that "the HAL food quality has gone so downhill since COVID."    The Rotterdam began sailing less than a year ago. It didn't sail pre-COVID, only post COVID. How would she be able to know about the quality of food in the entire fleet, when the ship she was on has only been in service since October ? 

No confusion, the Rotterdam was her first post Covid HAL cruise and she found the food quality to be poorer quality than what it was on other HAL ships she had cruised on pre Covid. I believe that the Rotterdam cruise is the only HAL cruise she has done Post Covid.

Edited by terrydtx

18 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

But the Celebrity Edge-class with that bow and the Celebrity Millennium-class with the RO/RO ferry stern are just so ugly!

There are a lot uglier ships out there (I'm looking at you, Epic).  And it's the design of the Millennium class stern that allows for the breathtaking views from the MDR:

image.thumb.png.37ab7e509be9faf80eba50b659d28d81.png

Don't know about you but I don't spend a lot of time looking at the stern from behind it. I do spend a fair amount of time in the dining room each cruise.

At any rate, my favorite ship ever is certainly no beauty. She was a former ferry, remade into a 350 passenger ship. I love her not for her looks but for the places she's taken me and the fun I've had onboard.

image.png.d5af79369812852d21d2b271925a6955.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

No confusion, the Rotterdam was her first post Covid HAL cruise and she found the food quality to be poorer quality than what it was on other HAL ships she had cruised on pre Covid. I believe that the Rotterdam cruise is the only HAL cruise she has done Post Covid.

I would take your TA's opinion with a grain of salt.  Besides the subjectivity of food opinions your TA is, as you note, a "huge Celebrity fan".  So I wouldn't expect to hear stellar HAL reviews, especially as you are also partial to Celebrity.  The client is always right

We just finished a Eurodam cruise and the three MDR dinners we had were exceptional.  I usually am less than enthusiastic with the MDR but in this case it was great, especially the Culinary Council dinner

There other minor issues with the cruise but nothing which dampened the experience,   It didn't hurt having great weather in AK which always makes it a better cruise.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BarelyACruiser said:

Thank you for sharing. I do have to say I am now extremely troubled as I am taking my niece on her cruise embarking in Venice/Trieste on June 25th for 14 days. Wishing I would have done more research on the age of the ship and read reviews…  so a 2 hr coach ride to Trieste…when did they let you know that tidbit?  I am set up for the transfer but have not been given a departure time for the transfer… any more info you can share to make it less frustrating would helpful. Thank you

We are booked on the August 21 Oosterdam cruise for 14 days. We were not notified until this past April that the departure port was being moved to Trieste and that our itinerary had dropped our port stop at Santorini and Sauda Crete. Santorini was replaced with a second stop in Mykonos and Crete was replaced with another sea day. Our cruise now has 5 sea days and both Santorini and Crete were the main reasons we booked this cruise. What was a really great itinerary when we booked last year now has been totally butchered by HAL. By the time we were notified of the changes it was too late for us to cancel the cruise as we had booked a very great business class airfare with HAL flight ease that covered the Oosterdam cruise and the Celebrity cruise from Rome that precedes it. It would have cost us about $1500pp to rebook our BC air directly if we canceled and we are a party of 4 on both cruises. We elected to not take the Celebrity shuttle for 2 hours with 40 plus strangers and booked a private transfer for all 4 of us from Venice to Trieste. It is not secret in this HAL forum about my extreme displeasure with HAL over the Oosterdam changes and customer service and that this will be our last cruise with HAL.

I would not be too worried about the age or condition of the Oosterdam. She underwent a complete renovation I believe in 2019 before Covid hit so she will be in good shape. We cruised on the Nordam her sister ship in 2019 and she was also in great shape.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

I would take your TA's opinion with a grain of salt.  Besides the subjectivity of food opinions your TA is, as you note, a "huge Celebrity fan".  So I wouldn't expect to hear stellar HAL reviews, especially as you are also partial to Celebrity.  The client is always right

We just finished a Eurodam cruise and the three MDR dinners we had were exceptional.  I usually am less than enthusiastic with the MDR but in this case it was great, especially the Culinary Council dinner

There other minor issues with the cruise but nothing which dampened the experience,   It didn't hurt having great weather in AK which always makes it a better cruise.

I will see how the food and service is for myself in August when we do a Celebrity and Hal Oosterdam cruise B2B. I am not expecting much food quality wise on the Oosterdam after reading recent posts from CC members currently on her. BTW I value my TA's opinion and never take them with a grain of salt I would trust her subjectivity more than HAL cheerleaders who probably have not taken a Celebrity cruise recently if ever.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Oldies123 said:

…They cancelled our Pinnacle and Canelletto dining experiences due to lack of spaces, yes they credited us for this, but ironically then were giving over the tanoy they had lots of availability if anyone wanted to book ! …

@Oldies123

That’s odd. Did they cancel your dining while onboard or prior to sailing?

Who was the cruise and travel director for this sailing?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Edited by syesmar

Wow, We will be sailing on Oosterdam June 25.  We booked a two nights at a hotel in Venice pre-cruise.  I was concerned about the two hour bus ride to Trieste and at least I know what to expect.  Since we are arriving three days before the cruise, we will need to get tested Covid tested in Venice.  We were planning on testing at the Venice airport, but now I'm worried that that will shut down, since they just lifted the covid testing requirements for flights back to the US.  Any recommendations as to where to get tested in Venice?

I'm always surprised at the comments on food quality on these threads.  I have found food to be delicious on all Holland America ships, and I am no cheerleader either.  I wonder what people are eating at home to say the food is not good?  I think there is room for improvement, particularly in the area of entertainment, but I found the food to be consistently fine.

• Like 3