Reservations question

New to RC and I understand that reservations for the restaurants and shows are made once on board ship.  Can you do this in your stateroom via the TV like you can do on Viking Ocean cruises?   Or do you need the RC app on your phone ? (I was hoping to go WIFI free during the vacation)    

23 minutes ago, paulinenpeter said:

New to RC and I understand that reservations for the restaurants and shows are made once on board ship.  Can you do this in your stateroom via the TV like you can do on Viking Ocean cruises?   Or do you need the RC app on your phone ? (I was hoping to go WIFI free during the vacation)    

My understanding app will work without buying an internet package. You will want to reserve stuff before you get in your cabin which will most likely be 1pm or later.

Some people are reserving stuff while waiting to board after check-in in the cruise terminal.

Once onboard, connect to ship-WiFi to use the app for free without an internet package or the use of roaming/data services from your carrier.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Wondering how much info you can get on the RC Stateroom TV.   Since 2018 we have been doing Viking Ocean cruises and the room TV is a wonderful source for booking restaurant and excursion reservations, checking daily activities and menus, viewing port talks and TED talks, checking the ship camera and other location info.... and of course movies and music

20 minutes ago, paulinenpeter said:

Wondering how much info you can get on the RC Stateroom TV.   Since 2018 we have been doing Viking Ocean cruises and the room TV is a wonderful source for booking restaurant and excursion reservations, checking daily activities and menus, viewing port talks and TED talks, checking the ship camera and other location info.... and of course movies and music

The interactive system on the tv is rather comprehensive regarding information surrounding your cruise.  Reservations, ship schedule, stateroom account information, etc., is all clearly displayed.  In fairness, in our recent three cruises since October we have only used the app and on board concierge services regarding our scheduling, but I would believe it is still part of the tv system as well.

37 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The interactive system on the tv is rather comprehensive regarding information surrounding your cruise.  Reservations, ship schedule, stateroom account information, etc., is all clearly displayed.  In fairness, in our recent three cruises since October we have only used the app and on board concierge services regarding our scheduling, but I would believe it is still part of the tv system as well.

This depends on the ship.  Isn't available on older ships like Jewel.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

This depends on the ship.  Isn't available on older ships like Jewel.

I certainly can't challenge that as we haven't cruised on Jewel for a number of years (2008?). I thought, however, the interactive information channel system regarding your account and reservations, etc., was common among the fleet when it was introduced.  Good to know.

But to the OP, the app is easy to use and can also be supported by GS or Concierge assistance (if they have access to them) on board as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, paulinenpeter said:

Wondering how much info you can get on the RC Stateroom TV.

zero when it comes to making reservations. Account info was available on the TV.

Just off the Allure - you cannot book anything on the TV.

And to add insult to injury, we HAD to show our reservations on our phone when we arrived for shows. They didn't have card readers this time (they did on Harmony in November). Either show it on the phone, or no entry.

Also, we couldn't do the muster drill on the TV either on Harmony or Allure. Had to use the phone app.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

zero when it comes to making reservations. Account info was available on the TV.

Just off the Allure - you cannot book anything on the TV.

And to add insult to injury, we HAD to show our reservations on our phone when we arrived for shows. They didn't have card readers this time (they did on Harmony in November). Either show it on the phone, or no entry.

Also, we couldn't do the muster drill on the TV either on Harmony or Allure. Had to use the phone app.

Thanks for the update.  We have sailed on Oasis, Allure, and Anthem since the restart but did not attempt to use the tv for scheduling - only used the app and the DL Concierge.  Dangerous word I realize, but I guess I only assumed the tv would also be a source in support.  But perhaps just like the planner not being yet brought up to speed with pre-cruise reservations, same may be with the tv system on board.

BTW IMO the muster via the app is a breeze.  Very much like that option v the old methods.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I certainly can't challenge that as we haven't cruised on Jewel for a number of years (2008?). I thought, however, the interactive information channel system regarding your account and reservations, etc., was common among the fleet when it was introduced.  Good to know.

But to the OP, the app is easy to use and can also be supported by GS or Concierge assistance (if they have access to them) on board as well.

Mike, I was surprised when I tried to use the interactive TV option ( March 2022) and found out that it wasn't available on the Explorer. I had to break my phone out of the safe and use the RC app when I wanted to check our OBC balance. 

27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW IMO the muster via the app is a breeze.

totally. Very happy about it.

However, my parents don't have a smart phone or a tablet new enough for the app, so we tried to play the muster drill video on TV for them, but no... So, we went with them, showed my phone, and told the crew my parents watched the video on my phone.

32 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Mike, I was surprised when I tried to use the interactive TV option ( March 2022) and found out that it wasn't available on the Explorer. I had to break my phone out of the safe and use the RC app when I wanted to check our OBC balance. 

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp and we only used the app for checking our balances, etc., but I thought we also used the tv on Anthem, at least.  I stand corrected.   Getting (too) old I guess, Dave.....

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp and we only used the app for checking our balances, etc., but I thought we also used the tv on Anthem, at least.  I stand corrected.   Getting (too) old I guess, Dave.....

No way. We've never cruised on the Anthem. But I would think that ship would have the interactive TV option. We were on the Freedom March 2019 and that ship had the iterative TV option. 

On the Adventure last month they were phasing out all of the access on the TV. We were able to look at our account in the beginning of the cruise but all TV access disappeared mid cruise. We were told they are phasing it out and you can only access info on the app now. 

Edited by RosieRoo

11 hours ago, Vacation...Yes said:

Any hope of being able to book entertainment prior to cruising? I’m a big planner and loved booking our entertainment 90 days out.

In our recent experience with Oasis in October, Allure in December, Anthem in April, and upcoming this Saturday with Allure, the answer is no.   The feature that used to be available for booking entertainment on the planner in advance has not yet been reinstated since the restart. The only way to book entertainment on those ships where it is an option to do so is once on board through the RCCL app.  (or with assistance through GS or the Concierge - if you have access to one).

We've been told it would be activated at some point in the future, but no timetable has been given and I'm starting to wonder if that will ever be the case or not.  Perhaps they will simply maintain the process on  board through the app?

• Like 1

I apologize if this has been asked before. On another line we were able to connect to the ship's wifi while waiting to board in the terminal to see/book things. Can this be done with RCI?