If I test positive at YVR after Royal Princess cruise, and before flying back to USA with EZAir, who pays for quarintine?

adgtravel

Has anyone had this happen to them after a Princess cruise?  Will Princess pay for my hotel and food, (and medical if needed) in Vancouver?

Or possibly transport us to Seattle and pay for quarantine there?  I would rather test the last day on ship with proctored test, but am concerned

with poor internet.  How early can we get to YVR since ship docks at 9:15am?  Our flight is at 2pm. Thanks for any info!

If you test positive on the ship, Princess will isolate you, and quarantine your companion. My wife tested positive on June 3, day before debarkation, and could not debark on June 4. They let me off the ship, although I think they were not supposed to. Since they kept her on the ship, the current plan is to debark her in Whittier on June 11, and complete the isolation in a hotel (Anchorage?) and fly back from there.

Majestic Princess crew has no idea what they are doing. They first thought she could stay in her cabin (balcony) for the return to Whitter, but ended up moving her on Sunday to the isolation floor (Dolphin deck). The best I can describe it is: The ship was in mothball for 1+ years due to covid. When taking out of mothballs, they freshened up the decks they were going to use (roughly 50% occupancy). Due to Vancouver hotels filling up with isolated passengers, they developed a protocol to isolate on the ship. They re-opened the deck, but did not freshen it up. They also don't have the staff (or are not willing to provide the staff) to take care of the passengers in isolation with any reasonable level of service.

So, your choice if you want Princess to pay for your isolation on a sub-standard cruise experience, or figure out something else. In my opinion, plan to get a transfer to Seattle, and take a flight from there (no requirement to test negative if your flight is a domestic flight). And, hope you don't develop any symptoms that would require you to be tested for covid.

Edited by richmke
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Whittier to Vancouver cruise that started May 28th.  On Friday morning, a bunch of people were lined up at the high tops in The Marketplace doing their proctored tests.  I guess they figured that was the best area for internet.

As for me, I switched my flights from YVR to SEA about two weeks before my trip started, as I couldn't sleep at night worrying about what would happen if we caught Covid.

For what it's worth, the pollen in Alaska right now is off the charts.  Just look at all of the pollen in the water.......

Edited by MudderBear

2 hours ago, richmke said:

If you test positive on the ship, Princess will isolate you, and quarantine your companion. My wife tested positive on June 3, day before debarkation, and could not debark on June 4. They let me off the ship, although I think they were not supposed to. Since they kept her on the ship, the current plan is to debark her in Whittier on June 11, and complete the isolation in a hotel (Anchorage?) and fly back from there.

Majestic Princess crew has no idea what they are doing. They first thought she could stay in her cabin (balcony) for the return to Whitter, but ended up moving her on Sunday to the isolation floor (Dolphin deck). The best I can describe it is: The ship was in mothball for 1+ years due to covid. When taking out of mothballs, they freshened up the decks they were going to use (roughly 50% occupancy). Due to Vancouver hotels filling up with isolated passengers, they developed a protocol to isolate on the ship. They re-opened the deck, but did not freshen it up. They also don't have the staff (or are not willing to provide the staff) to take care of the passengers in isolation with any reasonable level of service.

So, your choice if you want Princess to pay for your isolation on a sub-standard cruise experience, or figure out something else. In my opinion, plan to get a transfer to Seattle, and take a flight from there (no requirement to test negative if your flight is a domestic flight). And, hope you don't develop any symptoms that would require you to be tested for covid.

Wow, this is a new one.  Did she have the option to go to a Seattle hotel for isolation?  I would be really scared to be left alone in isolation with my spouse off the ship. 

If you test positive after disembarking the ship Princess is not responsible for your quarantine.  Hopefully you will have travel insurance to help with the cost.If you dock at 915 and need to test and have a flight at 2pm I would be worried about making my flight. Consider walkoff to save time.  

Edited by Buckeye10640

7 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

If you test positive after disembarking the ship Princess is not responsible for your quarantine.  Hopefully you will have travel insurance to help with the cost.If you dock at 915 and need to test and have a flight at 2pm I would be worried about making my flight. Consider walkoff to save time.  

I don’t believe this is correct.

OP should ask Princess directly when they are on-board. Handy to take. Some tests with you if you have symptoms before disembarking.

I really hope positive Covid people do not get on buses, planes and spread the virus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dog said:

I don’t believe this is correct.

OP should ask Princess directly when they are on-board. Handy to take. Some tests with you if you have symptoms before disembarking.

I really hope positive Covid people do not get on buses, planes and spread the virus.

Thankfully I have no firsthand knowledge (tested negative on ship before disembarkation) but this is what my PVP told me. I have not read any first-hand reports of Princess picking up the tab for someone testing positive at the airport or the next day before flying, but in this case I would be happy for others if my info is wrong. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all info!  We are on Medicare which does not cover anything outside USA, so I am considering travel insurance for Canada ( I have Princess ins for ship)

Can you recommend a good travel ins?  Any experience with Allianz Travel Ins?

I definitely considered switching our return to Seattle, but I bought YVR flight with EZAir, and when I called Princess outside the 45 day (no charge to cancel? Or change) agent told me I could not change without a 200-300$ fee!  And of course flights were over double what I originally paid months ago!!  She also said Princess doesn’t offer shuttle to SEA. I asked to be transferred to Customer Relations (?)

since I know the information was not correct, but it was over an hour hold time so I hung up. I will not buy EZAir again!  We plan on taking Covid tests with us!

41 minutes ago, adgtravel said:

Thanks for all info!  We are on Medicare which does not cover anything outside USA, so I am considering travel insurance for Canada ( I have Princess ins for ship)

Can you recommend a good travel ins?  Any experience with Allianz Travel Ins?

I definitely considered switching our return to Seattle, but I bought YVR flight with EZAir, and when I called Princess outside the 45 day (no charge to cancel? Or change) agent told me I could not change without a 200-300$ fee!  And of course flights were over double what I originally paid months ago!!  She also said Princess doesn’t offer shuttle to SEA. I asked to be transferred to Customer Relations (?)

since I know the information was not correct, but it was over an hour hold time so I hung up. I will not buy EZAir again!  We plan on taking Covid tests with us!

What ship & what dates?

Have you paid in full?

Did you book prior to May 31/22?

agents who answer phones these days are basically able to sell you a cruise, and are not always giving out correct information.

at the top of Princess website there is a link- health etc- read up FAQ , health protocols, cruise with Confidence.

if you do feel any symptoms or do a self test(non proctored) & suspect you might have Covid- get tested the night before disembarking. This will be at Princess expense on-board.

Princess Platinum insurance & Princess should reimburse you if you need to quarantine in Vancouver.

The main question I have is we test positive after we get off the ship how do you find a hotel for 10 days?  Do the authorities in Canada he,p us with that or do we have to search for a hotel using a service  such as Expedia, etc.  I have trip medical insurance that will pay for a good amount, but how do I find a last minute hotel?

Rick

if one is on traditional Medicare and a suppliment that has emergency travel coverage outside of the usa such as AARP united health care it covers Quarantine outside the usa it has 50000 medical coverage including costs of hotel, check with your medicare suppliment

1 hour ago, simong said:

if one is on traditional Medicare and a suppliment that has emergency travel coverage outside of the usa such as AARP united health care it covers Quarantine outside the usa it has 50000 medical coverage including costs of hotel, check with your medicare suppliment

really? where do I find that info?

3 hours ago, stromer said:

The main question I have is we test positive after we get off the ship how do you find a hotel for 10 days?  Do the authorities in Canada he,p us with that or do we have to search for a hotel using a service  such as Expedia, etc.  I have trip medical insurance that will pay for a good amount, but how do I find a last minute hotel?

Rick

Call Princess and get assistance. Not all hotels take Covid positive passengers.

Do you have a phone number for Princess that someone knowledgeable will pick up in 15 minutes or less and will answer this question about what hotel can I quarantine in Vancouver??  We will be on Royal Princess in July.  I booked this cruise probably 6 months ago, paid in full several months ago.  Are Princess representatives available inside YVR?

do your test online if possible if internet is bad, test while onboard in Victoria . if one disembarks you are likely to get nothing out of princess, when i booked my cruise princess they would perform the tests free of charge. i will likely not go with princess as they do not honor their word

28 minutes ago, adgtravel said:

Do you have a phone number for Princess that someone knowledgeable will pick up in 15 minutes or less and will answer this question about what hotel can I quarantine in Vancouver??  We will be on Royal Princess in July.  I booked this cruise probably 6 months ago, paid in full several months ago.  Are Princess representatives available inside YVR?

That is the million dollar question.

hopefully someone can post a phone number.

I am not clear on your insurance- do you have Princess Platinum Insurance? Did you book flexible fare on EZ air?

if so that is where you will get assistance if you take your Covid test at YVR & test positive.

EZ air has a phone number on your travel summary.

I think you are worrying too much over this.

if you book before May 31/22 & cruise is before September 30/22 you can call Princess ( number posted on their website) & say you are concerned over Covid / testing & want to cancel.  You qualify & this includes Air.

you will get FCC- takes some time, read up on this in FAQ, cruise with Confidence.

I understand hotels fill up & change, so the agents answering phone probably can’t give you answers.

Several others in cc have posted their Covid experiences on here to get an idea.

I was on Discovery Princess out of Vancouver & internet was terrible in that area.

another option is to change flight or take land transportation to Seattle to fly home—- no test.

July what?

you have to be within 30 days prior to cruise to cancel with confidence.everything is covered for FCC etc

i did this twice recently.

princess platinm insurance lets  you cancel for any reason. Lose insurance $ 

Edited by dog