Royalup to full categories?

People do cancel last minute which can open up certain categories.  And, more likely on larger ships.  We put in a RoyalUp bid for a GS from the JS we have even though all balcony and suites are currently sold out for our July 22 cruise on EN.  Do we think we'll get it, not really, but it's always possible.

• Thanks 1

Royal up is not a program where every category is always open for bids.  Often times it is, but other times it is not.  If nothing other than JS was showing as available with the RU, how did you place a bid for the OS and GS1BR?

The RU email should have listed all of the available categories and the suggested minimum bid for each.  Your bid(s) would then have followed that process specific to each available category on which you wish to bid. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Royal up is not a program where every category is open for bids.  Often times it is, but other times it is not.  If nothing other than JS was showing as available with the RU, how did you place a bid for the OS and GS1BR?

On our EN July cruise, no suites or balconies are available, but we could have bid on every category above our JS.  They don't have to have availability because they're only offering up for bid if something opens up.  RoyalUp is definitely a program where categories above what you have show as open for bidding.  So, for us, GS 1br and above show up.  For someone in an inside, oceanview and above would show.  Where'd you get the idea that they have to be available to bid?

26 minutes ago, firstsailor said:

All suite categories were available to bid. I’m just saying that I’m current inventory only Jr are available. Therefore I’m not holding my breath 😂

That's typical.  As I said, people cancel and then they can move bidders up.  

I've seen posts on here and on FB where people don't understand how it works.  It can be funny.  Sometimes people win with minimum bid.  But, it really can be luck of the draw.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Easy for me to bid up considering my original price point vs what that price would have been if I would have booked the upgrade then or what it's going for at the time of my bid. I've done very well going from GS's to OS's.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

On our EN July cruise, no suites or balconies are available, but we could have bid on every category above our JS.  They don't have to have availability because they're only offering up for bid if something opens up.  RoyalUp is definitely a program where categories above what you have show as open for bidding.  So, for us, GS 1br and above show up.  For someone in an inside, oceanview and above would show.  Where'd you get the idea that they have to be available to bid?

By available I mean showing as a category to bid on in the email. I originally misunderstood the OP as meaning that they were not available to bid on in the email.  Their subsequent post indicated that they were available on the email and I guess they meant they were not showing availability on the general booking website - which is common.  I have had RU emails in the past where not every category was offered to bid on, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

What shows on an email doesn't matter.  Anyone can go to the web site and check what is available for their reservation.  While it might tell you that bids don't open until 30 days prior we have put in bids 4-5 months out.  Varies by ship and sailing.  Prices will also vary depending on what category your current stateroom is.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

Actually I am beginning to think RCL purposely hold back “X” Nbr of room in order to then auction off in the Royal Up process.  I’m still awaiting info for next week’s Presidents cruise on the Ovation.  Some people who were shooting for upgrades to balconies have had their bids accepted.  I’ve got bids in for 5 suite types. I’ve incrementally increased my bid but still not takers.  I’m ok with my balcony but sure wouldn’t mind a suite

I can’t imagine Royal withholding full price cabins in order to offer them at significant discounts for purposes of the RU program. Yes, I suspect there are some cabins taken out of inventory for various reasons but I doubt RU is one of those reasons.

• Like 1