Are drink packages worth the cost.

51st FMS

I found this while researching the very same question. Just gotta do the math...

What is the price for individual drinks on board?
Sample of beverage prices - prices and product availability are subject to change without notice. 

§  Beer: starting at $6.50 (mostly 16-ounces)

§  Wine by the glass: starting at $9.50 

§  Mixed Drinks: $7.50 - $20.00

§  Specialty Cocktails: starting at $10.50 (excluding souvenir glassware and premium selections)

§  Soft Drinks: $2.75 

§  Specialty Coffees: $2.50 - $4.25

§  Energy Drinks: $4.95 

§  Water (San Benedetto bottled water and Coconut Water): $1.50 - $5.00

• Like 1

And I'm sure your are aware but just in case, everybody over 21 in the cabin has to purchase the package.

I may or may not have an issue with breaking even cost wise but my DW does not drink as much as I.

You can drink just so many specialty coffee's and bottle water and may end up not "spending" the bux 60 each day.

Of course, being the guy I am, I will be obligated to help her out to make it cost effective over all.

It's tough duty but somebody has to do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Question is asked and answered often ..... Worth is simply a matter of opinion and how much you drink. That's all there is to it. It was better when it was $8 less a day a month ago then at the new $59 a day price. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Depends"

Some people enjoy it for the mindless convenience. Some as an opportunity to try different drinks. Others appreciate the included specialty coffee and milkshakes.

If you are the type that can drink six Coor lights in a couple hours, might not be for you as you can hit the 15 drink limit. If you just want a Long Island every hour or so, might work out for you.

For my wife and I, we can easily start having drinks at breakfast and go from there.

If you enjoy drinks during meals and think you want to relax on the pool deck all day with a drink, you might enjoy the convenience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

"Depends"

Some people enjoy it for the mindless convenience. Some as an opportunity to try different drinks. Others appreciate the included specialty coffee and milkshakes.

If you are the type that can drink six Coor lights in a couple hours, might not be for you as you can hit the 15 drink limit. If you just want a Long Island every hour or so, might work out for you.

For my wife and I, we can easily start having drinks at breakfast and go from there.

If you enjoy drinks during meals and think you want to relax on the pool deck all day with a drink, you might enjoy the convenience.

You are still limited to 15 if you pay by drink

• Like 3

I should have stated earlier that everyone in the cabin 21 and older must be on the drink package. Carnival will not, in my experience, allow just one to have it even with a medical note from a doctor. It was still worth it for us because my wife made up for it in the coffees, bottle drinks, etc. 

7 hours ago, DnD CruiserZ said:

I found this while researching the very same question. Just gotta do the math...

What is the price for individual drinks on board?
Sample of beverage prices - prices and product availability are subject to change without notice. 

§  Beer: starting at $6.50 (mostly 16-ounces)

§  Wine by the glass: starting at $9.50 

§  Mixed Drinks: $7.50 - $20.00

§  Specialty Cocktails: starting at $10.50 (excluding souvenir glassware and premium selections)

§  Soft Drinks: $2.75 

§  Specialty Coffees: $2.50 - $4.25

§  Energy Drinks: $4.95 

§  Water (San Benedetto bottled water and Coconut Water): $1.50 - $5.00

Do you know how much the beer is at the self serve Beer Stations?

I got the bubbles for soda. I actually drunk less than it would've cost me to get it, mostly, probably beause they don't offer water or cold teas at bars (wish they had Pure Leaf). But, I honestly like it anyways, mostly because I don't have to worry about managing my spending on board. 

5 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

The self serve beer and wine stations are not included with Cheers.

I was curious as to the price of the self serve beer stations.

I don't know that the most important question is "are beers $5 or $6?" For 2 people for 1 week, it is $991. Do you think you would spend near that or even find value in having whatever you want for that price? If so, then it's for you. If not, then I wouldn't do it.

One thing I found true for me: if I don't get it, then I'm constantly watching how much I pay for drinks and second-guessing whether I should have that next drink because of how much I'm adding on to the bill at the end of the cruise.

If I just pay ahead of time for drinks, then that expense is fixed and I stop worrying about it. I just have drinks whenever I want without caring about it and can concentrate on enjoying my cruise and have that latte or that interesting mixed drink my friend just got.

• Like 6

So this horse has definitely been beaten to death here, but I will add the following as general info:

Recently the price of the Cheers! package went up.  It appears the prices of drinks on board have gone up or are likely to go up to match somewhat proportionately.

Also, the 18% grat is added to both Cheers and the individual a la carte drinks, so that factor is a wash.

Therefore, the "break even" point is still roughly the same:

8-10 beers ($6 for Coors Light, IIRC, up to $8 for craft draft?)

5-7 cocktails (drink of the day might be $8, other frozen drinks $9, Alchemy martinis etc are $12, IIRC)

5-7 glasses of wine (IIRC, wine starts at about $9 a glass)

And of course, specialty non-alcoholic drinks like specialty coffees, milkshakes, bottled water, and similar are included (with no limit of consumption).

We always get Cheers, so I don't pay much attention to actual drink prices.

If you are like a friend of mine who thinks she might be turning into a lush because she had a glass of wine with dinner two (!) days in a row (I guess normally she simply doesn't drink?)...Cheers is not for you.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

One thing I found true for me: if I don't get it, then I'm constantly watching how much I pay for drinks and second-guessing whether I should have that next drink because of how much I'm adding on to the bill at the end of the cruise.

If I just pay ahead of time for drinks, then that expense is fixed and I stop worrying about it. I just have drinks whenever I want without caring about it and can concentrate on enjoying my cruise and have that latte or that interesting mixed drink my friend just got.

This is how we look at it. Peace of mind. 

Not that I am a penny pincher but we are very aware of all of our purchases.

I would rather have everything paid for before we even leave for the cruise and not have to worry/think about it again until we get the bill for stuff we bought during the cruise.

• Like 1