Fish & seafood menu Alaska Cruise

We just returned from the Grand Princess, May 25th to June 8th, in which we had the new rolled out Alaskan Menu.  To be honest, we really weren't that impressed... and I was soooo looking forward to it! There was really nothing much that stood out as being really great that was uniquely alaskan. The halibut was nicely done each time we had it, but the salmon was overcooked each time, and that was so disappointing 😞 

Overall, we actually found the food to be a real let down compared to previous Princess Cruises... but keep in mind our last Princess cruise was in 2012, so maybe it's been going downhill for sometime and we just didn't know it. 

• Like 2

Someone did post all of the menus for the 7-day cruises  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2849403-menus-for-alaska-cruises/

There are a few more options on the 10-day cruises.  One night was Alaskan Cod Fish and Chips.  It was pretty good. If you liked the one they used to serve at the Pub Lunch, then you would like it. 

One day at the lunch buffet, there was a huge platter of salmon and tuna sashimi, along with a large bowl of cooked prawns.  That was really good.

One disappointing item was the cheddar soup made with Alaskan larger. It was very thin and watery. We had some really good soup at the brewery in Skagway. It was pricey, but delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another for less than impressed, I was hoping they'd offer Alaskan king crab on one of the formal nights but sadly they did not.  Dishes I tried in the MDR:  

Grilled Alaskan rockfish -good 

Alaskan lager & cheddar cheese soup -not very good, ours came out cold and we were't sure if it was supposed to be a cold soup but service was a bit slow so we just ate it.

Alaskan crab risotto -disappointing, the risotto itself was good but there really wasn't any crab in mine.

Didn't see any Alaskan specific items  at the Crown grill and Sabitini's had a seafood pasta if I remember correctly.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, nunuc2000 said:

Overall, we actually found the food to be a real let down compared to previous Princess Cruises... but keep in mind our last Princess cruise was in 2012, so maybe it's been going downhill for sometime and we just didn't know it. 

Everyone has their opinions and ours differs completely from Celine’s.  We absolutely LOVED the food in DaVinci’s on Grand Princess but agree that the so-called Alaskan menu was a disappointment.  Hubby is a lover of all seafood and thoroughly enjoyed all the offerings but didn’t see much that was Alaska specific.  I’m a beef eater and every meal my meat was cooked as requested and delicious.  We loved the beer and cheddar soup and neither of us are beer drinkers.  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Senga said:

Everyone has their opinions and ours differs completely from Celine’s.  We absolutely LOVED the food in DaVinci’s on Grand Princess

I'd guess that, as usual, the chef makes a huge difference. It's unfortunate that Princess can't get consistent quality despite which chef is in charge.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'd guess that, as usual, the chef makes a huge difference. It's unfortunate that Princess can't get consistent quality despite which chef is in charge.

We were on the same 14 night cruise with Celine and John.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, nunuc2000 said:

We just returned from the Grand Princess, May 25th to June 8th, in which we had the new rolled out Alaskan Menu.  To be honest, we really weren't that impressed... and I was soooo looking forward to it! There was really nothing much that stood out as being really great that was uniquely alaskan. The halibut was nicely done each time we had it, but the salmon was overcooked each time, and that was so disappointing 😞 

We were on Discovery Princess 2 weeks ago, and I had really been looking forward to the fresh Alaskan seafood promised by the "Wild for Alaska" promotion, but I was also sorely disappointed in the options actually provided. There really weren't very many "fresh" or "Alaskan" seafood options. I do agree that I had one nice halibut dish, but the 2 times I had salmon it was also cooked to shoe leather. They were clearly more used to cooking fattier farm raised salmon, and did not adjust their technique for leaner fish. And, sadly, I don't recall seeing any other Alaskan seafood options offered during our week aboard. 

On the up-side, we did a wonderful Princess excursion in Ketchikan to Hump Island Oyster farm, which was really interesting, and their oysters were out of this world! And had amazing Alaskan halibut fish and chips in Juneau. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

We were on Discovery Princess 2 weeks ago, and I had really been looking forward to the fresh Alaskan seafood promised by the "Wild for Alaska" promotion, but I was also sorely disappointed in the options actually provided. There really weren't very many "fresh" or "Alaskan" seafood options. I do agree that I had one nice halibut dish, but the 2 times I had salmon it was also cooked to shoe leather. They were clearly more used to cooking fattier farm raised salmon, and did not adjust their technique for leaner fish. And, sadly, I don't recall seeing any other Alaskan seafood options offered during our week aboard. 

On the up-side, we did a wonderful Princess excursion in Ketchikan to Hump Island Oyster farm, which was really interesting, and their oysters were out of this world! And had amazing Alaskan halibut fish and chips in Juneau. 

Where did you go in Juneau for the halibut fish and chips? After having fish and chips in Scotland, it will be challenging to top that. Thanks.

6 hours ago, nini said:

Where did you go in Juneau for the halibut fish and chips? After having fish and chips in Scotland, it will be challenging to top that. Thanks.

Well, we headed for an old favorite called "Twisted Fish Company", which is actually near where the ships dock. Unfortunately, it didn't survive the pandemic, so headed to "The Hanger" which is at the end of the boardwalk that runs in front of where the ships dock. I won't promise that it will top Scotland, but the food and beer were pretty darn good. We'd had a very long excursion and were just looking for something simple.

• Like 2

I just finished 20 days in Alaska on the Ruby and enjoyed many of the new offerings. Here are some pictures of my favorites. 

this is the halibut. I ordered it with sides from other dishes on the menu 

92AB057B-BF24-46FA-8098-C328EF8A1D9D.jpeg
this is the lump crab cake. It’s really croquettes with some crab. It was really delicious.  

0C6A6C5C-D582-46BA-AA64-741F642EEB33.jpeg

1AB3B062-972B-4D77-8BC7-386FC7A0DF2A.jpeg

F3C1A339-0F36-44B6-8F56-4662403A4CF4.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

I ate dinner every night - well 18 out of 20-  in Michelangelo and I have to give a shout out to Kieron the restaurant manager, Albert his assistant manger and the entire team. This was the best non club class dining experience I’ve ever had. They were amazingly accommodating, friendly and professional.  Flawless service, tables spaced further apart, food served fast and hot, drinks arrived quickly. 

0EDD0CFC-B97B-4FCA-B02C-E707B2230DEA.jpeg

FCC43DD8-597C-42AD-B012-BA9CCBF90F3A.jpeg

4A465F7B-7F89-4431-ADA5-099C36B6BB0C.jpeg

75FAF179-3EB5-4EE8-9F3F-D439D2D09CCB.jpeg

26AD236B-9070-438C-B43B-C3C379B42170.jpeg

12A49A20-7136-40CD-BF4D-0AA413C2658E.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Senga said:

Everyone has their opinions and ours differs completely from Celine’s.  We absolutely LOVED the food in DaVinci’s on Grand Princess but agree that the so-called Alaskan menu was a disappointment.  Hubby is a lover of all seafood and thoroughly enjoyed all the offerings but didn’t see much that was Alaska specific.  I’m a beef eater and every meal my meat was cooked as requested and delicious.  We loved the beer and cheddar soup and neither of us are beer drinkers.  😂

Hey Senga... it was really wonderful meeting you both, and hope you had an easy and safe trip home 🙂  I was wondering about our different dining experiences... perhaps as we were in Botticelli and you were in DaVinci's, that might have made a difference?  And definitely agree that the beef each time we ordered it was very nicely prepared! 

4 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Well, we headed for an old favorite called "Twisted Fish Company", which is actually near where the ships dock. Unfortunately, it didn't survive the pandemic, so headed to "The Hanger" which is at the end of the boardwalk that runs in front of where the ships dock. I won't promise that it will top Scotland, but the food and beer were pretty darn good. We'd had a very long excursion and were just looking for something simple.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. The Hangar menu looks amazing.

• Like 1