US to end predeparture covid testing requirement (flights) - maybe cruises next?

Breaking news, finally.

I have a feeling the cruise industry was waiting for them to change this before contemplating ending their testing requirement as then it is seen as following the White House/CDC and; therefore, provides them cover.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/us-to-end-pre-departure-testing-requirement/index.html

• Like 5

3 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

I hope you’re right about the cruising. I’m glad even for now it’s just the requirement dropped for flying into the US.

Cruise ship passengers are not being tested before returning to the US.  This is the current policy.

Covid issues on this and last week’s Mariner. Not only were there numerous cases on board, people on my social media cruise specific page many Jane posted testing positive once they’ve gotten home.

Tonight, we have some canceled entertainment, for the second time this cruise. 

m

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Cruise ship passengers are not being tested before returning to the US.  This is the current policy.

🙄 (Not what I meant, but they are testing the unvaccinated ages 2 and up prior to returning depending on length of sailing).

One of them I am on a plane for 6/8/12 hours. The other I am on the same cruise for days with people. Yes its not as packed as plane but I am also not having multiple meals, sitting in a 200/500/1000 person theater, touching self service buffet utensils, and packed in to elevators with.

Plane travel and cruise travel just are vastly different and I don't see a correlation between one to the other as far as safety requirement. Same reason a cruise ship is the only place they jump on you to wash your hands before entering any eating establishment.

• Like 4

I want testing before sailing to continue.  I’ve heard so many people say that they couldn’t sail because they tested positive when taking the preboarding test.  I honestly think this testing will continue.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, renza said:

It is doing nothing. Many people are testing positive once on the cruise. Not before. Covid is running high on all ships. So obviously the testing is not working 

I hope that Covid is not running high?  If that is the case the industry will close down again.

13 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Pre-cruise testing will not be over until we treat this illness the way we treat the flu and the common cold (as we should now), as an endemic and not an epidemic illness.

Endemic and epidemic are not mutually exclusive.

I sure don’t want them to end pre cruise testing.  There is already covid on cruises where people pick it up probably in route to the cruise but I feel if pre testing is eliminated it will be much worse and that would really hurt the industry.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Covid issues on this and last week’s Mariner. Not only were there numerous cases on board, people on my social media cruise specific page many Jane posted testing positive once they’ve gotten home.

Tonight, we have some canceled entertainment, for the second time this cruise. 

m

On board with you (actually came on to visit an entertainer friend...who has been in quarantine last 3 days). I am texting with her and she has no symptoms and is bored out of her mind. There are many other entertainers, bar staff and specialty dining severs in the red zone.

It looks like contact tracing has been pretty aggressive on the Mariner. Interesting that they call suspected guests by asking them to come to guest services (where they are met by medical, given a mask and taken downstairs for testing).

Captain just came on speaker and we have more passengers and crew that went to red zone last night this morning. Got the wash your hand and please wear a mask lecture (again).

Got to be a better way of handling this thing...

It just seems that as long as this version of COVID is not much worse than a cold (or less) then they should consider letting folks stay in room until they test negative. The whole red zone thing seems severe in light of the symptoms (or lack thereof) that are being reported by so many... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Covid is not running high on ships, especially compared to on land. Most people testing positive on a ship would never bother getting tested on land

Baseless statement with no supporting evidence.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2

On Mariner now. Capt said Thursday 5 passenger cases. Last night he said a few more passenger cases so covid is not running rampant out of several thousand passengers. Altered stage show last night was still good. Regular stage show had 3 key performers out sick so a plan B was cobbled together. Better than nothing.

I can't understand the pre cruise testing, you test up to 2 days before sailing.  How do you know you couldn't catch it after you test.  You aren't living in a bubble after testing, if anything coming in to contact with more people if staying at a hotel or flying.  And for people saying the island may require testing.  You can fly to half of these islands for a land vacation with no testing.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 12:56 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Keep the testing. It’s not an issue to do and likely keeps on ship Covid numbers down. 

Someone had the vote for keeping it. 

I also vote -- as if we're actually voting -- for keeping it, though the vaccinations are more valuable than the last-minute testing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1