Tips for first time interior room after 4 balcony cruises.

tweak89

Wife and I are taking a cruise on the Breeze August 29.  This is our second cruise on the Breeze, and will be our 5th overall cruise.  This will also be the first time we've stayed in an interior stateroom (we've only every done balcony rooms).   We went with an interior (at a ridiculous price of $204 per passenger) as my wife retired this month and we've started our own business, so we are being budget conscious.  So are there any tips/tricks for making a stay in an interior stateroom comfortable?   Any recommendations for alarm clocks with lights that get stronger (since it will be pitch black).   As an aside, DANG!!  I didn't know that Faster to the Fun had been suspended, so this will also be our first cruise with "regular" boarding.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

Any recommendations for alarm clocks with lights that get stronger

I think you are asking about a sunrise alarm clock, google them they're awesome. 

I purchased one to use on my past 2 cruises cause I had an inside room booked but I ended taking a balcony on an upsell offer. Didn't use the clock but I think it would be very helpful so you aren't waking up in pitch black.

• Like 1

My last cruise was the first interior I’ve ever been in and honestly I hated the darkness. I’m an early riser so I don’t need alarm clocks but I did buy these night lights which can be set to a high or low setting, have magnets so they can be attached to the wall and have motion detection. They are great for moving around the cabin without waking your partner. We just kept them low near the floor so they didn’t shine in our eyes.

• Like 4

The room will be dark for sure and its kind of strange not to see the outside at all (cant even see the weather until you get dressed and up on deck).  We have relatives that book interiors because of the cost savings but admittingly dont love it but it works for their financial situation (they go once a year).   

They do the alarm clock thing with the lights and night lights as well (more for safety from bumping into things).  They do try to get a interior cabin on a upper deck as they have stated the interiors (and OV) on the first 2 decks can be very noisy when docking early mornings in port being closer to the mechanicals of the ship etc. (they also hate the idea of being in bowels of the ship as they put it, psychological I guess?).  You will either love it or hate it I think and then you will know what to do going forward.  Its still a cruise either way and if this is the difference between cruising or not then this may work for you very well as it does for many others.  Have fun and make new memories.

We only do balcony and suites (and can get pretty good deals booking out a year or 2 at a time) and after 20 years of cruising our cabin is a big part of our whole experience and we build it into the cost.  For us I could not be without seeing the outside in some manner, that just seems strange for us I think.  Also, could not be without our balcony for that first cup of coffee sitting in peace in my PJs watching the sunrise or drinking a glass a wine right before dinner.  Its just a huge part of our cruising zen and something we look forward to.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 3

i so love it when we finally decide to save our hard earned dollars and book an interior cabin. You will certainly realize that you leave at the same time and arrive back at the same time as all other cabin grades. You sleep in beds that are standard size when pushed together and you are now bale to put that Balcony and Suite money toward another interior room Carnival cruise.

It's Elementary Watson!! And it also makes sense! 

Welcome to the Carnival Cruise Nuts wisdom!!! 

• Like 3

I chose interior cabin as solo to help with pricing, since I spend all day on deck the only issue I have is as an early riser I wonder about weather out on deck so I pick the lido channel on the tv to see if it is raining etc before I go out. I hope you will enjoy your cruise and money saved makes a difference especially these days.

• Like 2

We have done a few interior cabins.  My suggestion is leave the TV on set to to bow camera.  Will let you know the weather and when the sun is up.  I try to spend as little time in the cabin even when we have a balcony.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips / suggestions so far everyone!  I never would have considered buying some cheap click lights to put around the cabin that's a fantastic idea. I am shopping the sunrise alarm clocks now, I couldn't remember what they were called.  Maybe I'll bring a poster of an ocean view portal to hang on the wall, lol (runs off to the fathead website).

I'm an early riser so I do know I will miss having the balcony that I can sit on while my wife sleeps in. But, in this case the deal was too good to pass up and it's been a hot minute since we've done a meaningful long trip.  This will be a very casual one for us no shore excursions since we've been to both these ports so many times we're just going to wander around and find nice local place to eat at each port.  

We did choose to have it assigned, when do they assign your cabin and is it possible to change it around if it's in a bad location?

Edited by tweak89

12 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

Thanks for the tips / suggestions so far everyone!  I never would have considered buying some cheap click lights to put around the cabin that's a fantastic idea. I am shopping the sunrise alarm clocks now, I couldn't remember what they were called.  Maybe I'll bring a poster of an ocean view portal to hang on the wall, lol (runs off to the fathead website).

I'm an early riser so I do know I will miss having the balcony that I can sit on while my wife sleeps in. But, in this case the deal was too good to pass up and it's been a hot minute since we've done a meaningful long trip.  This will be a very casual one for us no shore excursions since we've been to both these ports so many times we're just going to wander around and find nice local place to eat at each port.  

We did choose to have it assigned, when do they assign your cabin and is it possible to change it around if it's in a bad location?

You could also just pop up on a deck real quick. I really enjoy those early morning wanderings, watching the sun rise. I found a few places on the ship that I wasn't able to locate during the day when it's crowded. Some spots are so easy to just walk by when it's more crowded.

• Like 1

The guarantee cabin is another whole topic of interest on its own. Basically its a 50/50 chance. We have been fortunate to have received a few great cabin locations using the guarantee method. We have also received a few not so desirable locations but we knew that before accepting the deal. We were once actually offered a true upgrade (zero additional dollars) to a balcony and never questioned the Carnival program.    

1. It's nowhere nearly as bad as others make out!

2. The pitch black is an asset to sleep, particularly after-lunch nap.

3. Cost cost cost -in that order.

4. You're on the same cruise/same ship as His Lordship

in the Captain's Suite on Deck 600!

5. You might try an Ocean View cabin next time.

6. This is Cabin 2314 on Carnival Victory...now Radiance.

Cabin2314-594.jpg

Cabin2314-595.jpg

Cabin2314-597.jpg

• Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

1. It's nowhere nearly as bad as others make out!

2. The pitch black is an asset to sleep, particularly after-lunch nap.

3. Cost cost cost -in that order.

4. You're on the same cruise/same ship as His Lordship

in the Captain's Suite on Deck 600!

5. You might try an Ocean View cabin next time.

6. This is Cabin 2314 on Carnival Victory...now Radiance.

Cabin2314-594.jpg

Cabin2314-595.jpg

Cabin2314-597.jpg

I swear I looked at that photo and got sleepy.  I used to leave the TV on the front ship cam, so when it turned daylight, it would light up the room and wake me up. 👍 Free Tip people 😉

34 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

I used to leave the TV on the front ship cam, so when it turned daylight, it would light up the room and wake me up.

👍 Free Tip people 😉

That is a handy tip, but..
we always found that our natural body clock woke us up
and when we checked the time on our watches,
it was the usual minutes before 6 a.m.!

Time to go up on Lido, to fetch Her some juice and a nibble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just booked 2 inside cabins, after 13 others cruises being either balcony or suites.

Mind you, they are 4 or 5 dayers, but I am experimenting to see if inside cabins will work for just me so I can book more getaways at a better price point now that I am retired and a widower, living in Florida with many ports to choose from.  Port Canaveral is the closest though.

Booked a deck 1, aft cabin for 1 and deck 7 on another to see if there is a difference in comfort.  Then will go from there.

Edited by FireEater
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

True story

Booked my first inside cabin

I'm an early riser exDH slept late

Woke up

brushed teeth

got dressed

put on glasses....

3:15 AM

Got undressed and went back to bed

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Thought I wouldn’t like an interior after nearly 30 cruises in cabins where I could see the light of day.

Tried our first one for NYE ‘21.  It was a spa cabin so that helped to get the spa amenities.

Surprised that we found it to be very cozy, and cozy is what I like.

The dark did not bother me, in fact I learned it was great for sleep.

We also had motion activated night lights that helped.

It felt easier to get settled because I didn’t have to decide where to put things.  Fewer choices meant fewer decisions. 
It’s good to find a spot on a quiet deck that can be your pretend balcony.  Every ship has somewhere like that with chairs of some kind to have your coffee in the AM.
All in all we liked our first one enough to book another inside spa cabin.  
I think if you are going inside, it’s best to get as close to the action you are interested in as possible.  
I would hesitate if it was on Deck 1 or 2.  
The older I get the more I value the convenience of not having to trek long distances on a ship LOL. 

Edited by CarolSW

Guest BasicSailor
7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

That is a handy tip, but..
we always found that our natural body clock woke us up
and when we checked the time on our watches,
it was the usual minutes before 6 a.m.!

Time to go up on Lido, to fetch Her some juice and a nibble.

The only natural thing that wakes me up is potty time, kinda glad that still works 😴  Potty time, 😆 Too many grandkids running my life these days .

Edited by BasicSailor

Guest BasicSailor

What year was this picture taken😉😇 just judging from the TV and the black-haired fellow in the mirror🙃

Cabin2314-595.jpg

I would order room service breakfast with coffee and some nibbles to start the day.  Take a cup of coffee to the nearest door that opens to the outside and take a seat.  That's what I did on MG and Sunshine (while my mom slept in) and it was great!  At night I would get a cocktail and go back to said outside area.  Usually by myself and enjoying the night sky.

My tip would be to try to change to an interior room on Deck 12.  They are "sideways" with the entry door between the headboards and bathroom wall.  Makes for a much more efficient use of space.  And the closets, bathroom door and entry door do not interfere with each other meaning a person can be messing around in one of the closets and not be blocking the entry door or bathroom door...or any combination of those three.  IIRC there are 1-2 of these rooms on deck 11 as well.

• Thanks 1