Mt. Saint Michele

garyc20

31 minutes ago, garyc20 said:

On a transatlantic in August and out of the blue the Mt. Saint Michele excursions were cancelled for operational issues. Any idea what the real story is??

I guess you could ask Flatbush Flyer :).  He usually has an answer to anything related to "O" but rest assured the reason will not be the fault of "O."   But I have some ideas.  We assume you are on the Insignia which is scheduled to be in St Malo from 11 until  6.  The drive from St Malo is over 2:15 hours each way and I would assume your excursion would need to be back to the pier by 5:30.  Perhaps somebody finally realized this is not an ideal situation.  Just a guess on my part.

Hank

• Haha 2

St Malo is a fascinating village.  Read "All the Light We Cannot See" before you go.  

That being said, many years ago, I did both in the same day with friends from Brittany.  That was a hell of a lot of walking, in quite a bit of heat.  I would not recommend to anyone who isn't very fit.

I am on a 21 day Marina cruise in the fall and was surprised to see that Mont St. Michelle excursions were offered from Le Havre.  I will have to go back and check again.

4 minutes ago, Sny said:

I am on a 21 day Marina cruise in the fall and was surprised to see that Mont St. Michelle excursions were offered from Le Havre.  I will have to go back and check again.

That would be a long  day   from Le Havre

A few years ago we went to MSM from Le Harve it was one of the greatest day trips we have ever went on !  But, also, one of the most stressfull !  Yes, 2 1/2 or so hours to get there and 2 1/2 to get back.  

Off the ship at 7, first in line to get a rental car at 8.  GPS in French !  Got there at 1030 or so, saw everything we could in 3 hours. It

I told my Wife at 130 or so we have to leave.  The ship didn't leave until 7, but, the car had to be checked in by 5.  Couldn't just leave it in their parking lot.

As stressful as it was, I'd do again in a second !  MSM  was AMAZING, hopefully, we can get back there again !!

• Like 1

Mont St Michel is inaccessible during high tides (at least that is how I remember it). This could affect tours and timing of tours.

‘As well one can no longer drive. All must take the free shuttle bus (or walk) which will certainly lengthen the duration of a tour.

3 hours ago, Robjame said:

Mont St Michel is inaccessible during high tides (at least that is how I remember it). This could affect tours and timing of tours.

‘As well one can no longer drive. All must take the free shuttle bus (or walk) which will certainly lengthen the duration of a tour.

We took a taxi and he waited for us.   6 of us.  Not too much money.   Great day.   Wonderful place. 

3 hours ago, daveispar said:

High tides don't matter any more.  After you park and get your tickets, a bus will take you on a road above high tide or you can walk along the road to MSM.

The only issue with the tides used to be the large parking area which would flood at high tide.  That has been eliminated so it is no longer an issue.   MSM is interesting but we discovered it is really amazing after dark (when cruise tours are long gone).  A few years ago, while on a driving trip, DW and I drove to MSM and booked a small motel about 2 miles from the place (right on the same approach road).  We spent the afternoon exploring MSM and than returned to our room.  Later that evening, after dark, we came out of our motel room to drive back to MSM for dinner.  That entire town was lit up with eerie lighting that was spectacular.  MSM is one of the great tourist traps in Europe...but after dark it becomes magical.  It also turns out that the city is empty at night and it was even more magical to walk through the street with no other folks and that special lighting.

Hank

• Like 1

I'm planning a private excursion to Mont St. Michele; day trip only.  For those who have went, how much time should I allow to provide time to enjoy the experience, have lunch and not rush through it?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, vadraw said:

I'm planning a private excursion to Mont St. Michele; day trip only.  For those who have went, how much time should I allow to provide time to enjoy the experience, have lunch and not rush through it?

Thanks

I think when we did the private tour we were there 2-3 hrs

we did stop for lunch in one of the restaurants there 

some went to the top so it may have been a little more than 3 hrs

We also went to Dinan  & spent an hour or so there

4 hours ago, vadraw said:

Thanks

I think 2 hours (inside the city) would be enough time for most folks.  But toss in lunch and it that really depends on where you eat and your pace.  DW and I can easily spend 2 hours enjoying lunch in France and Italy :).  Others want to gulp down their food and be done in 30 minutes.  Just keep in mind that in France (and much of Europe) getting a check and settling the bill can take much longer than one might expect.  

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

We did a Mont St Michel tour from Le Havre this May with Overlord tours.  The ride was about 2 hours each way and we spent a good 4 hours at the site.  Climbed all the way to the top.  It was exhausting AND amazing and we are so glad we did it.  Highly recommend it!!

• Like 1

We had booked it for a June 2nd excursion from Le Harve while on the Sirena. Cancelled when we realized that Kate wouldn't/couldn't do the 565 stair steps to the top. Found some fabulous YouTubes though.