Noisy Onboard Neighbors

surfergirl15

Just got off Carnival Liberty and everything was good except the noisy neighbors who seemed to think they were the only ones on the ship.  They were up and making noise smoking and partying until at least 3 am.  Called security 2nd night on ship at around 2 am and asked them to ask the neighbors to please be courteous and pipe down so we could sleep.  Security knocked on their door and they did not answer and were very quiet.  No sound came from their room at that time but as soon as security left they started up again.  3rd night on ship they started up again and at 2 am and I asked through the wall for them to please quiet down and they did not.  At 3 am I heard one of them go on their balcony apparently to smoke some weed so I went onto our balcony and asked them to please keep it down or I would call security and the guy said ok.  At 3:15 they were still partying loudly so I called security and I met the guard in the hallway.  I told him which room the noise was coming from and he asked me to go back inside my room which I did.  Heard him knock on their door and someone answer and there was no more noise that night. The last night same thing but I didn't call security because after all it was the last night and I wouldn't have to put up with their behavior again.

Please be mindful and courteous to your neighbors as most cruisers are.  It is no fun trying to wake up at 7 am on 3 or 4 hours sleep.

• Like 17

There is always someone (and many times several groups) on every cruise that show their ***'s and dont think the rules apply to them.  You did the best thing and called security but dont think for a minute that those types will ever think of others.  Unfortunately it comes with cruising sometimes.  

• Like 5

When you wake up at 7AM be sure to make as much noise as you can when they just got to sleep and bang on their walls and talk loudly. Dial their room number from your desk phone (accidentally) and ring them then hang up.. Be sure to knock loudly on their door in the morning to wake them up for nothing as you head out. This is the advice Carnival guest services gave me. Works well ......

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 21

28 minutes ago, surfergirl15 said:

except the noisy neighbors who seemed to think they were the only ones on the ship. 

I agree... that is the worst.  And I just don't get it?!  Why do people congregate in their rooms when there are so many public places on the ship open late, where you don't have to worry about disturbing your neighbors.

Our worst experience was in an inside cabin with a connecting door (will absolutely never book a connecting cabin again).  Not only was the noise level unbearable (yelling/laughing, etc) but all night long it sounded like people were trying to open the connecting door (it would thump and rattle) jarring me from sleep.

I also just don't understand the people who loudly yell their goodbyes/goodnights to friends down the cabin hallways at 2:30 am as they return to their cabins.  Again... why do people have to so completely inconsiderate?!  I taught my kids from a young age, that they are to assume there are children sleeping anytime from early  evening on, and they are to be quiet and courteous in the hallways of ships, hotels, etc.  

• Like 8

I have sailed with my two children since they were very young. I've told them to always mind their volume and any noises they make in the cabin with respect to our neighbors. Adults behave worse than children much of the time . 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Again... why do people have to so completely inconsiderate?!  I taught my kids from a young age, that they are to assume there are children sleeping anytime from early  evening on, and they are to be quiet and courteous in the hallways of ships, hotels, etc.

Just taking a wild guess here but I don't think they realize they are inconsiderate.  I think they're just morons with limited social skills.

• Like 5

Our last Carnival cruise we were lucky until the last night. The couples on each side of us partied together until all hours of the night. We didn’t get much sleep. I don’t get the people that make so much noise in the halls late in the night on the way back to their cabins. They have to know how the sound carries. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

When you wake up at 7AM be sure to make as much noise as you can when they just got to sleep and bang on their walls and talk loudly. Dial their room number from your desk phone (accidentally) and ring them then hang up.. Be sure to knock loudly on their door in the morning to wake them up for nothing as you head out. This is the advice Carnival guest services gave me. Works well ......

It's amazing what a little well-timed passive aggressive behavior will do. We had some late-night noisy neighbors on the first night of one of our cruises. I told my DH "Oh #%$@ no, we're not putting up with this all week." I like to get up very early on sea days, which happened to be our first full day of the cruise, and I might have once or twice (or five times) accidentally swung my empty suitcase into the wall between our cabins at 6am. Amazingly, we didn't have any late-night noise after that. Huh.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I have sailed with my two children since they were very young. I've told them to always mind their volume and any noises they make in the cabin with respect to our neighbors. Adults behave worse than children much of the time . 

Thank you for your efforts, we all benefit from well raised children.

• Like 4

Absolutely this!

Not cruising but reminded me of a camping trip one time when my kids were young, some jerks pulled into the site next to us at 2:30am, started blasting their techno music until about 6:00am which is just about the time my kiddo's got up.

While making breakfast, I told them they could  bang on the pots and pans with metal spoons and make as much noise as possible. Other campers must have had the same idea because their kids were running around screaming their heads off. Those people took off shortly after.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I know this doesn't guarantee anything but this is one reason why I only cruise when school is in session and usually only on longer voyages. Fewer college aged kids, fewer kids and young adults in general.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

Every time I get on a ship, I expect this to happen to me, but so far it hasn't.I'm sure, after 13 cruises, it's just a matter of time.  I don't know what I would really do.  I think I would complain, but I doubt I would have the guts to confront anyone.  I've read stories about the offenders raising the bar just to be a**holes after they are confronted.  Heck, I bought a house from a man who would do just that when the next door neighbor complained about the parties he and his teenage kids threw.  Honestly,  how many people who behave like your neighbors are going to say, "Oh, sorry.  My bad.  It won't happen again."  

I thought we were going to have this problem on the Vista earlier this year because starting on day one of our cruise,  we were woken up by the sound of people having a loud conversation around 4:30 in the morning. It lasted until almost 6:00 am.   No music or shouting, just conversation and some laughter.    I figured some family group was traveling from another time zone so they were wide awake when they should have been sleeping.  So, I let it go.  But the the next night, the same thing.  It started around 4:30 in the morning and went on for a couple hours. Before taking my problem to Guest Services, I did my best to find the source. It wasn't from next door, or the floor above me.  I stood on my balcony and I couldn't hear it.  It sounded like it was coming in through a vent.  Security come to my room.  They heard it too, and did the same thing-walked around trying to find the source in my room and around it.   About an hour after they visited my room, it stopped. I got a call from Security.  It turns out there is a staff break area right below my stateroom!  That explains the fact that it was only adult voices speaking languages I couldn't translate and the fact that it sounded like they were in an empty metal room.   I wish I could say it didn't happen again for the rest of the cruise, but it only stopped for a couple days. After another visit to Guest Services, the noise stopped.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

When you wake up at 7AM be sure to make as much noise as you can when they just got to sleep and bang on their walls and talk loudly. Dial their room number from your desk phone (accidentally) and ring them then hang up.. Be sure to knock loudly on their door in the morning to wake them up for nothing as you head out.

This is the advice Carnival guest services gave me.

Works well ......

Yep, ring their cabin tel.number
at 0610 hrs.  and again at 0625 hrs.

just as they getting back down nicely
and again at 0700 hrs.

Had to do that one cruise.   It works

and they are usually less loud the next nite

- or you do it again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

By the 3rd day, I would probably go to Guest Services and tell them that you've had Security called down twice, and these people are still being disruptive.  Ask to be moved to another cabin or take care of the problem.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
26 minutes ago, OmaDebbie said:

By the 3rd day, I would probably go to Guest Services and tell them that you've had Security called down twice, and these people are still being disruptive.  Ask to be moved to another cabin or take care of the problem.

Other cabins were not always available, other than covid days.