TNF Games Onboard

This isn't really an important topic but I am hoping they still show the Thursday night football games while onboard with them being on Amazon Prime this year. Our team will be playing while we sail and we'd love to go to Playmakers for dinner that night to watch. 

6 hours ago, stephiek814 said:

This isn't really an important topic but I am hoping they still show the Thursday night football games while onboard with them being on Amazon Prime this year. Our team will be playing while we sail and we'd love to go to Playmakers for dinner that night to watch. 

I would be very surprised if any Thursday night games were shown on a ship this year. Amazon Prime has exclusive rights to these games, with the exception that games will be available in the local market of the teams playing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would be very surprised if any Thursday night games were shown on a ship this year. Amazon Prime has exclusive rights to these games, with the exception that games will be available in the local market of the teams playing. 

Well, that is good news for the local crowd.  Might not help on a cruise, but I was really disappointed to hear about the Amazon Prime deal for Thursday Night Football. What's next...Hulu for Monday Night Football?  Paramount + for wild card games?  Bad trend IMHO.

Two posts in the same day on this topic?...

Some of the TNF games will be carried on NFL Network, so you have a 50% chance of maybe seeing it on a TV.  Failing that, there's GamePass or trying to stream it live...

We subscribe to YouTubeTV, so at least I know worst case I can DVR it or use the FakeGPS app to get the locally airing version live. 

Edited by Lane Hog

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Amazon has rights in the US but not outside of the US including the Caribbean.  Typically ESPN Caribbean (which is not the same as ESPN domestic) has had the TV rights for football in the Caribbean.  Do they again in 2022?  We don't know yet.  

8 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Well, that is good news for the local crowd.  Might not help on a cruise, but I was really disappointed to hear about the Amazon Prime deal for Thursday Night Football. What's next...Hulu for Monday Night Football?  Paramount + for wild card games?  Bad trend IMHO.

Get used to it.

Streaming is the way of the future. It wasn't all that long ago the NFL required all of their playoff games to be on over-the-air TV.

Now, ESPN has a slice of the playoff pie.

One thing to consider is that the international broadcast rights are completely separate from the American rights. 
That is why you don't see the great commercials and get a completely different announcer crew if you happen to watch The Super Bowl on a ship than you would at home.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Two posts in the same day on this topic?...

Some of the TNF games will be carried on NFL Network, so you have a 50% chance of maybe seeing it on a TV.  Failing that, there's GamePass or trying to stream it live...

We subscribe to YouTubeTV, so at least I know worst case I can DVR it or use the FakeGPS app to get the locally airing version live. 

According to the NFL schedule, the only 2 Thursdays that the games won't be exclusively on Amazon Prime are the opening game in week 1 (on NBC) and the 3 Thanksgiving games that will be on national channels.  All other Thursday night games will need an Amazon Prime account.

19 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Don't want to get too off topic, but please explain the FakeGPS app for YouTubeTV.  We have YouTubeTV and our home TVs know where we live and we can no longer get our favorite local news.  We moved 30 miles away and we now have a new local area which is in Georgia and we live in Alabama. 🙄  I'm assuming you can only use that app on portable devices?

On 6/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, stephiek814 said:

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Stream them to your personal electronic device over the ship’s WiFi.

Are these games going to be free for Amazon Prime members?  My big beef with shows on Prime is they are always an added cost.  I doubt I'll pay $15 to watch a team that I don't care about.  If the local audience will still get the broadcast, then I wonder how many will actually fork out the $$ to see the game.  

21 hours ago, ATG said:

Was I the only person who looked at this to find out what a TNF was?

Yes.  I did not even know they had football games on Thursday nights until I read this thread lol.

9 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Are these games going to be free for Amazon Prime members?  My big beef with shows on Prime is they are always an added cost.

I've had Amazon Prime for years and have never paid extra for any show.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:51 AM, stephiek814 said:

Nope, not going to happen. But I'm sure you'll love yet another cricket match or some Central American soccer match. See, RCCL only has the licensing rights to show ESPN Caribbean. That's why they don't show any any F1 races, only ESPN US has those licensing rights. 

17 minutes ago, Blauelini said:

Nope, not going to happen. But I'm sure you'll love yet another cricket match or some Central American soccer match. See, RCCL only has the licensing rights to show ESPN Caribbean. That's why they don't show any any F1 races, only ESPN US has those licensing rights. 

Ever sail Royal Caribbean during a weekend during football season?  While they do show cricket or soccer, they do stream NFL and college football through the ESPN channels.

Hopefully the mods will allow the quick sidebar... 

5 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Don't want to get too off topic, but please explain the FakeGPS app for YouTubeTV.  We have YouTubeTV and our home TVs know where we live and we can no longer get our favorite local news.  We moved 30 miles away and we now have a new local area which is in Georgia and we live in Alabama. 🙄  I'm assuming you can only use that app on portable devices?

FakeGPS is an Android App that spoofs the phone or tablet's location to wherever you want it to be by selecting a point on a map.  I do not know if there's an equivalent app for iPhone.  This makes most location-aware apps like YTTV or the NFL App think you're actually somewhere else, and that in turn lets you stream the local broadcast networks/games. 

Right now I'm watching the news in Green Bay on my phone from Illinois.  YTTV won't allow me to record that my DVR. 

From both devices, I've been able to either Chromecast or a USB-C to HDMI cord to hook it up to our TV and watch the game.  It's also a way to stream Amazon Prime or Netflix to a non-smart TV with an HDMI input.

I've yet to find a way to make this work for a smart TV on home broadband (e.g. Roku or Fire Stick) because they determine location based on the gateway IP address.

One option for you might be looking to see if your favorite channel has a smart TV app... Many stations have these now in the Roku Channel Store that allow you to watch news broadcasts.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...