Most Effective Way to Report Cruise Deficiencies (Vision)?

We recently returned from 8 night Vision OTS Med.  cruise and were very disappointed in the cruise experience. We did fill out the online survey, but would like to direct some specific comments regarding the ship’s condition, food and entertainment (or lack thereof) to someone who might actually care and/or do something about it. 
Service was excellent on the ship, but it couldn’t make up for the appalling deterioration of the ship and furnishings, the mediocre food and the lack of variety in entertainment. 
This was by no means a “cheap” cruise so I expected much more for our money. 

I have contacted the CEO’s office in the past regarding a delayed refund but didn’t know if this was the most expedient route. 

36 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I have contacted the CEO’s office in the past regarding a delayed refund but didn’t know if this was the most expedient route. 

Yes. Perhaps feedback like yours will speed up the ship's departure from the fleet, then RCI doesn't have to worry about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Is the ship the problem or the crew?  Some things that might even seem to be problems with the ship could really be the crew not attending to maintenance issues.  Of course it could also be that RCI is not giving the crew the proper resource to do that maintenance.  The problem we have now with everything - not just cruise ships - is that "because...COVID" and "because...supply chain" we have a notable degradation in all services, and routine maintenance gets delayed until sometimes it's just too late.  

1 hour ago, librarylady19 said:

We recently returned from 8 night Vision OTS Med.  cruise and were very disappointed in the cruise experience. We did fill out the online survey, but would like to direct some specific comments regarding the ship’s condition, food and entertainment (or lack thereof) to someone who might actually care and/or do something about it. 
Service was excellent on the ship, but it couldn’t make up for the appalling deterioration of the ship and furnishings, the mediocre food and the lack of variety in entertainment. 

Well, I would lay off on the ship itself, it is old, and the condition will reflect it.  They have been operating on a shoe string budget for a long time.  

You may complain about the entertainment, but everyone is having issues booking entertainment still and complaining won't solve the issues being faced.  This complaint was even  discussed at the Captain's corner.  They are well aware of it. 

Food, you need to be more specific, is it bad, or the selection is not pleasing?  I was on the Radiance, and saw areas for improvement, but nothing that can't be fixed with some constructive comments.  

Politely asking if you spoke to someone onboard regarding these issues? If so, what did they say?

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes. Perhaps feedback like yours will speed up the ship's departure from the fleet, then RCI doesn't have to worry about it.

All 4 seem to living on borrowed time

• Like 3

I did the following 12 night cruise - sailed on the Vision many times and had no problem with the ship and the staff were excellent, although obviously the numbers were depleted.

The food, however, was another matter - it was the worst I can remember in any main dining room.  I put this on the post-cruise survey but had already taken this up with the staff on board

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Politely asking if you spoke to someone onboard regarding these issues? If so, what did they say?

I did not as I didn't think there was anything they could do about it honestly. For example, our balcony was rusted, railing needed varnishing, chairs and table were in disrepair and windows sorely in need of washing. I doubt the ship's staff could fix all those issues. This seems to be more of an executive decision not to sink any $$ into older ships and focus on newer onesIMO I had sailed on Jewel in Feb. and, although also dated, it was in much better condition. Next 2 Royal sailings are on Quantum & Harmony so hopefully the issues of delayed maintenance will not be evident. 

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

I am sorry your experienced varied so drastically from mine.  I was on the Vision for 3 weeks in March, and she was in great shape, food was excellent, and I agree the crew were amazing.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I did not as I didn't think there was anything they could do about it honestly. For example, our balcony was rusted, railing needed varnishing, chairs and table were in disrepair and windows sorely in need of washing. I doubt the ship's staff could fix all those issues. This seems to be more of an executive decision not to sink any $$ into older ships and focus on newer onesIMO I had sailed on Jewel in Feb. and, although also dated, it was in much better condition. Next 2 Royal sailings are on Quantum & Harmony so hopefully the issues of delayed maintenance will not be evident. 

Cruises been on the Paint and Railings PreCv was Annual Maintenance done after Ships Returned to US warm weather in Fall. One week they'd take off Dozen's Railings, if you are in one those Cabins that Cruise you have no Railings. Next week they were put back on after being sanded and Varnish moving on to next bank of Cabins. Same with Painting turn around day they's do Dozen Balconies then while ship is at Port Stops they'd start touching up everywhere else. What I observed on B4B's and longer it takes about 6-8 weeks get everything done. Interesting this happened even on 2 Ships that had just left Dry Dock, this work was done later after returning to reg Cruises. Covid unique situation seeing Vision Parked w/o most Crew for many Season's. Maybe they should have had Crews return early and work on Ship for 4-6 weeks before returning her to regular Cruises. Have feeling Corp discussions were made whether to keep her or Transfer her to another Line. Not saying you are wrong to complain, you should. Me, long as have at least Good Food I'm ok with Rust and the way they do Maintenance as I described in Pre-CV times. Think Ship is on borrowed time. Will be a sad day for me and other's when Vision and Radiance size Ship's are gone...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Thanks for the various insights and opinions - all are appreciated. 

In future I will not book any cruises on older ships, unless they have been recently updated. It is too expensive and exhausting to travel to risk our time and money. There is no excuse for stained and decrepit furnishings IMO. Others may disagree. This has helped me prioritize my future vacation dollars. 

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If you don't want to deal with the limitations of sailing on a small 24 yr old ship, RC does have newer ones.

Otherwise yes, she'll show her age and limited entertainment possibilities.

Agree that is true, but the price should be lowered appropriately then. 

• Like 8

The Vision is an older ship, and when we were on it in March it was clear she could use a refresh.  OTOH, I knew that before I boarded (or booked for that matter).  If you were looking for more perhaps you should book a newer ship and spend a little time doing your homework rather than belly aching.

It's a fleet wide problem, not just a Vision problem. I had a bad toilet on Navigator, and a janky balcony door on Oasis. This is not a luxury cruise brand. I suppose they do their best at this price point. If I were paying more I might complain.

8 minutes ago, pcur said:

I did a little research about the Enhantment recently.  I am booked on her in January, and I read a thread reporting some serious issues.  The picture of the side of the ship was off-putting, for sure.  So, I went and read the reviews from Feb-June (so far) 2022.  It was 50/50.  

Not sure I would get on a ship that the reviews were just 50/50 in less it was priced really, really low  or if the itinerary was a must do one of a kind never ever been there before.

To many other fish in the sea.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

The Vision is an older ship, and when we were on it in March it was clear she could use a refresh.  OTOH, I knew that before I boarded (or booked for that matter).  If you were looking for more perhaps you should book a newer ship and spend a little time doing your homework rather than belly aching.

So now we have to book Royal Caribbean cruises , as a BUYER BEWARE. or maybe they should lower the price for the product they are putting out there?

Vision in Europe is priced  high.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So now we have to book Royal Caribbean cruises , as a BUYER BEWARE. or maybe they should lower the price for the product they are putting out there?

I live by caveat emptor, so yes. 

I haven't seen the prices for Vision in Europe, but I know the cruise we were on in March (The first she had since the restart) was priced high too.  I assume if the Wonder was doing the same itinerary, it would have been priced higher.  That hardly matters though.  I saw the cruise, I liked the cruise, I accepted the price.  If I thought it was priced too high I shouldn't have booked it.

• Like 1

You are probably right about the decision to not invest in older ships that are probably not long for the scrapyard.  It will say that we cruised on Freedom when it was about a year old and still the largest cruise ship on the seas.  The wooden railings were completely weathered with no hint of varnish and a splinter risk.  Areas on the balconies and decks were rusty, and there were other minor wear-and-tear issues.  Having owned a 36-foot sailboat that I kept on the gulf coast of Alabama, I can tell you that the salt water is hell on all these things.  I spent more than 10% of the time on my boat doing maintenance on things exposed to salty water and air.  I can only imagine what a challenge it would be for a cruise ship.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Vision in Europe is priced  high.

I agree. We paid $3200 for aft corner balcony for the 8 nighter - worth $2K imo

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Sorry, but I don't consider it "belly aching" when there was an expectation of better given the cost. I do plenty of homework CK (I am a librarian after all 😀) I was asking for input from others who also found a cruise / ship to be below their standards and the best way to communicate that to Royal. If we cruisers blindly accept a ship's flaws, just because it''s old, there is no pressure on the cruise line to price it lower and/or update it. 

And, frankly, I had so many issues with previous cancellations with Royal, I just couldn't see cancelling due to negative opinions and having to deal with months of arguing over refunds again. 

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure I would get on a ship that the reviews were just 50/50 in less it was priced really, really low  or if the itinerary was a must do one of a kind never ever been there before.

To many other fish in the sea.

The cruise is my Pinnacle certificate cruise, and it was one where another Pinnacle and I could go together.  Cost is port taxes and gratuities.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Congrats !!

Thanks!  

I am just not fussy when it comes to cruising.  I can tolerate a lot, and don't get upset if there's some rust, or a torn chair somewhere, etc.  I just did not see these things on the Vision for that 3 weeks.  

• Like 2

Now, you ask CoralC about her cruise where they had overflowed toilet water in their cabin, and soggy carpets for days.....................THAT'S TO COMPLAIN and get a partial refund!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1