New NCL AMEX Offer - $250 off $1,000 (Targeted)

5 hours ago, nyc12345 said:

Thanks, found offers on both my card and my significant other's card.  Does it have to be a single charge of $1000 or can it be two separate charges totaling $1000?

It’s not clear on the offer terms, but typically it can be one or more charges that total the amount required. So you should be ok with two separate charges. 

Hm I’ve read the fine print but if I purchase (pre-cruise) a few excursions or a photo package or dining package wouldn’t it just appear on my bank statement as Norwegian Cruise Line and I’ll be able to trigger the credit? Would anyone know how Amex will know if it’s for a reservation just by the charge? Any advice is welcome!

1 hour ago, rabadipscavern said:

Hm I’ve read the fine print but if I purchase (pre-cruise) a few excursions or a photo package or dining package wouldn’t it just appear on my bank statement as Norwegian Cruise Line and I’ll be able to trigger the credit? Would anyone know how Amex will know if it’s for a reservation just by the charge? Any advice is welcome!

Yes you can do this. They will post the same way as a payment on a reservation so yes they will trigger the credit. I did this back in January, I called and pre-paid my tips, and paid for some shore excursions and that got me the credit. 

The only thing that won’t trigger it is a gift card purchase, as those are usually charged and fulfilled by a third party company. 

2 hours ago, rabadipscavern said:

As long as it is posted to NCL, it should work. I have done this in the past with AMEX (an offer from a  different cruise line) by buying OBC.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, graphicguy said:

Delta branded MEX seems to have different rules.  I know the OBC my Platinum AMEX offers isn't valid with the Delta Platinum AMEX card.

I don't know how they keep track of what offers they have, and who they offer them to.  It's a lot of them.  And, at least to me as an individual, I don't understand how they can make an offer to one person, with the same card as I use, and not to another.

For a while, they didn't have an offer for me on NCL, but did have one for me on Celebrity.

I tried the suggestion of deleting offers to reduce the 100 in hopes of getting the NCL offer. but that `didn't work. Though I have cruised RCL and Celebrity, I am platinum on NCL.  I would actually use the NCL offer.  LOL

37 minutes ago, CherWolf said:

I tried the suggestion of deleting offers to reduce the 100 in hopes of getting the NCL offer. but that `didn't work. Though I have cruised RCL and Celebrity, I am platinum on NCL.  I would actually use the NCL offer.  LOL

I tried the same I have Delta and Hilton branded AMEX - no dice.  The only upside to using the NCL card for everything NCL is a very quick and easy way to see cruise related expenses.  I guess you gotta take what you can get.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CherWolf said:

MIght be worth calling them on the ph# on the back of the card and ask them to add the offer.  Can’t hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

Log into your account.  Go to your vacation summary.  Scroll down and you will see prepay service charge.  

On 6/18/2022 at 7:04 AM, Cruise Gopher said:

Yes you can do this. They will post the same way as a payment on a reservation so yes they will trigger the credit. I did this back in January, I called and pre-paid my tips, and paid for some shore excursions and that got me the credit. 

The only thing that won’t trigger it is a gift card purchase, as those are usually charged and fulfilled by a third party company. 

FWIW…I just used the $500/$125 Amex offer to prepay service charges, upgrade internet and purchase two excursions.  It posted to my Amex account NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE — RESERV. However it posted as separate transactions…one for NCL svc chrg and upgrade and a second one for the excursions.  Hopefully it will trigger the offer.  I also paid $200 on another cruise just in case the excursions get excluded.  Fingers crossed that the multiple transactions trigger the offer credit.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

MIght be worth calling them on the ph# on the back of the card and ask them to add the offer.  Can’t hurt.

I do not believe they can do that, but other than wasting some time, I guess it cannot hurt to try.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I do not believe they can do that, but other than wasting some time, I guess it cannot hurt to try.

I’ve found AMEX Plat customer service to be quite good.  They may not be able to help on their end, but they have always pointed me in the right direction to get any request/issue taken care of.

Obviously, up to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve found AMEX Plat customer service to be quite good.  They may not be able to help on their end, but they have always pointed me in the right direction to get any request/issue taken care of.

Obviously, up to you.

Not platinum, but I have found AMEX customer service also quite helpful. When I said they could not add offers, I was going by past posts I have read over the years from posters who had tried and failed to have offers added.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, hrmkr said:

Cruise Gopher,  

Thank you very much for seeing the Amex offer.  

I have the basic blue card and my promotion was $1250 off $1000.  Guess I got lucky.

Here is something for others to try.  I did this in the past with a Carnival Amex offer and it worked.  Contact Amex and ask for a 2nd card under your primary account. It will have a different account number.  The offer should/may also be eligible on the 2nd card. You can double dip. 

With my blue card, there is no annual fee so it is basically free money.  Just ordered the 2nd card. 

On 6/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, kickbutt10 said:

The last offer they had with American Express, the offer only appeared on the first card on our account.  I contacted Amex and they said it is not a given that both users will receive the same offer.  Just a heads up.  I was bummed out and none of our cards are part of this offer.  

It was reported on a Disney site (for a past Disney targeted offer) that if you have 2 different types of Amex cards the only way to get it on both cards its to have 2 different online accounts, one for each card.  If your cards are linked to the same account it probably will not work.  

3 minutes ago, jimsig said:

It was reported on a Disney site (for a past Disney targeted offer) that if you have 2 different types of Amex cards the only way to get it on both cards its to have 2 different online accounts, one for each card.  If your cards are linked to the same account it probably will not work.  

I just received my secondary card and created a 2nd online account. Since it is linked to my primary account, the offer was not on the 2nd card.  I even tried to see if they can add it but it was not available to be added.  Oh well.  it was worth a try.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, laudergayle said:

FWIW…I just used the $500/$125 Amex offer to prepay service charges, upgrade internet and purchase two excursions.  It posted to my Amex account NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE — RESERV. However it posted as separate transactions…one for NCL svc chrg and upgrade and a second one for the excursions.  Hopefully it will trigger the offer.  I also paid $200 on another cruise just in case the excursions get excluded.  Fingers crossed that the multiple transactions trigger the offer credit.

Yes multiple transactions should be just fine. You should have gotten an email right away that said congratulations you just redeemed your AMEX offer. Did you get that?

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

MIght be worth calling them on the ph# on the back of the card and ask them to add the offer.  Can’t hurt.

It's definitely worth a try.  I will report back on what I find out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not platinum, but I have found AMEX customer service also quite helpful. When I said they could not add offers, I was going by past posts I have read over the years from posters who had tried and failed to have offers added.

Thanks. I won't waste my or their time on that.

I did an online chat with an Amex rep several years ago because I hadn't received an offer.  He said there was nothing he could do for me and it was completely random.  I have since gotten offers on several cruise lines which I have happily used but, alas, not this time.  Hopefully I will get another one in the future.

8 hours ago, CherWolf said:

Thanks. I won't waste my or their time on that.

Again, I do not think you will get it, but you really won't waste much time. The message will be due to high call volume expect a longer then usual wait. And then it will say your expected wait time is 2 minutes.  🤣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yes multiple transactions should be just fine. You should have gotten an email right away that said congratulations you just redeemed your AMEX offer. Did you get that?

I did not, but I just double checked that the offer was selected—which I did before making the purchase.  My statement drops in 6 days so I will report back if I got the credit.  

• Like 1

I prepaid tips, bought the 2 meal package for our son (3rd passenger), and bought our son internet.  It showed up as 3 separate charges on the card on 6/18.  I did NOT get the "congratulations" email.  The $125 credit posted on 6/21.  We still have the $250 back on $1000 on my husband's card.  That may be harder to use since our cruise was already paid for.  My husband's card and my card are the same credit account but different online accounts (we log in separately).  We have often received the same offer on each card and been able to use it.  

• Like 1