Live report for Coral Princess 16th June

We have done most types. In, out, balconies, minis and some suites. Also a few aft facing balconies/suites, as that is an awesome outlook.

Seems the prices difference from inside to balconies has shrunk for most of the lines, so it is easier to justify the improved cabin. One we haven't tried is a forward facing, so what better way to try a forward facing outside than a Tasman crossing to Hobart and back on Celebrity Edge. We are hoping for a bit of a swell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Its certainly been good while it lasted. I'm open to inside if it means the difference between cruising and not cruising, however Balconies booked for our next three cruises, especially as first is 28 days, then 14 day Alaska which I couldnt bear not to have for that one, then 35 days hawaii. As there are lots of sea days we preferred it too. Not so bad with lots of ports that you are off the ship more than on.

We did the 35 nights in an inside cabin. Never again! Maybe for very short cruises in the future but not for long ones.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

We did the 35 nights in an inside cabin. Never again! Maybe for very short cruises in the future but not for long ones.

That was Franks concern cos wr Booked inside as only one available back when we were desperate to go anywhere lol. But waitlisted a balcony which became available 🥰

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We have done most types. In, out, balconies, minis and some suites. Also a few aft facing balconies/suites, as that is an awesome outlook.

Seems the prices difference from inside to balconies has shrunk for most of the lines, so it is easier to justify the improved cabin. One we haven't tried is a forward facing, so what better way to try a forward facing outside than a Tasman crossing to Hobart and back on Celebrity Edge. We are hoping for a bit of a swell.

Are you one of those people who sleeps through anything? I wouldn't get any sleep at all in one of those cabins. We had an aft-facing cabin on Carnival Legend once and it was quite noisy when the ship was running at full tilt which it did one night after a med-evac 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Are you one of those people who sleeps through anything? I wouldn't get any sleep at all in one of those cabins. We had an aft-facing cabin on Carnival Legend once and it was quite noisy when the ship was running at full tilt which it did one night after a med-evac 

Yes and no. Some ships do have a creaky aft. I won't sleep through anything, but don't notice the noise or motion for long. On the other hand, our first cruise was in one of these on Sun Princess, with waves up to 9 metres. While asleep, I was tossed a foot into the air, and Barb said I just stirred, rolled over and went back to sleep. The latch on the balcony door also failed that night - that woke me up for sure.

The one thing I don't like about them is you spend a lot of time walking corridors.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arxcards said:

what better way to try a forward facing outside than a Tasman crossing to Hobart and back on Celebrity Edge. We are hoping for a bit of a swell.

You must have good sea legs if that's what you wish. Bass Strait is notorious for bad weather. I've been on the Spirit of Tasmania when the waves were breaking over the roof of Deck 10, and the whole ship was banging, shuddering and yawing as it hit the monster waves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

You must have good sea legs if that's what you wish. Bass Strait is notorious for bad weather. I've been on the Spirit of Tasmania when the waves were breaking over the roof of Deck 10, and the whole ship was banging, shuddering and yawing as it hit the monster waves.

Once there was the biggest grinding kind of noise throughout the night, that I was sure the Spirit was scraping along the bottom lol. Mind you, that's a MUCH small ship than any of the ocean cruisers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, happy with our sea legs, and won't be sad to see our window getting washed during the crossing. That said, the day time is less fun if the open deck are closed so I don't want too much of it either.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We also did the 35 day Hawaii /Tahiti cruise in an inside and we would easily do it again, as it is a fantastic cruise. We still are a few years off retirement and can't spend all our money yet. 😄

In our trivia team we had never discussed what cabin we were in until a few days till the end of the cruise when one of the other team members spoke about the inside cabin trash hogging all the chairs in the international cafe as they don't have anywhere to sit in their rooms. It was funny to see their faces when I told them we were in an inside cabin and by the way, ocean view and balcony cabins didn't have tub chairs anymore either. Turns out they were in a minisuite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 4 months later...

@Cbtours Irene, (and others),

I can't recall a specific thread about Coral's suites, but recall you managed to try a couple out. What cat did you have (Vista, Premium, Penthouse etc)

We can't stay away from Coral, so are looking at a suite for a shortie next Feb. Some good prices with their 3 for free promo, and I am wondering how Vista Suite C702 stacks-up. I have seen a few pics online, but they don't have a storyline with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I can't recall a specific thread about Coral's suites, but recall you managed to try a couple out. What cat did you have (Vista, Premium, Penthouse etc)

We can't stay away from Coral, so are looking at a suite for a shortie next Feb. Some good prices with their 3 for free promo, and I am wondering how Vista Suite C702 stacks-up. I have seen a few pics online, but they don't have a storyline with them.

We tried both a Premium and a Vista Suite. They are identical, you just pay a lot more for the location of the Premium suites. We actually preferred the Vista suite location as it had a bigger, fully covered balcony - we were on Dolphin deck though. I think the Caribe balconies are as big but only partly covered. 

The suites are gorgeous. I didn't take photos but the ones on the Princess website are accurate. The sitting room and bedroom have a thick curtain between them. There is plenty of storage although the wardrobe is a bit odd - plenty of hanging space but awkward to get to some of it. The bathroom is in two parts with a door between - spa bath and separate shower on the bedroom side, toilet and handbasin on the other side. There is a sofa, chair, desk, and wet bar area with fridge in the sitting area. Comfy padded lounge chairs with footrests, plus two other chairs and a table on the balcony.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We were in two diff vista suites as did 4 B2B. C 628 and c643 from memory. Identical apart from one of them had balcony doors easier to slide.

we were very happy with it all. We never used the spa bath for same reason others have mentioned in the past! We didnt want to get not be able to get out lol

loved the perks! Sabatini for breakfast especially. Two of my personal faves at breakfast! Roasted potatoes with poached egg & hollandaise, and French toast with maple syrup and crispy bacon.

if we got good special we’d book in an instant! However our next cruise is 14 day vancouver return Alaska cruise in may on the Grand. We’ve never been so be interesting. I believe it’s oldest ship in princess fleet.

628B7B1A-7BA9-493D-848F-54F45A3AD119.jpeg

798F132F-6F29-4719-90A0-4C68B1AAFFD9.jpeg

5E4F6BAC-3949-43BD-92E0-73DDA9FF3686.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We tried both a Premium and a Vista Suite. They are identical, you just pay a lot more for the location of the Premium suites. We actually preferred the Vista suite location as it had a bigger, fully covered balcony - we were on Dolphin deck though. I think the Caribe balconies are as big but only partly covered. 

The suites are gorgeous. I didn't take photos but the ones on the Princess website are accurate. The sitting room and bedroom have a thick curtain between them. There is plenty of storage although the wardrobe is a bit odd - plenty of hanging space but awkward to get to some of it. The bathroom is in two parts with a door between - spa bath and separate shower on the bedroom side, toilet and handbasin on the other side. There is a sofa, chair, desk, and wet bar area with fridge in the sitting area. Comfy padded lounge chairs with footrests, plus two other chairs and a table on the balcony.

Thanks.

I was just looking at the available suites and am now surprised how few Coral has. I was wondering if it was only a location difference between the Vista and Premium. There is quite a price difference between the two locations, and the aft lifts look super convenient to me.

I did place a hold on C702, as it was the only port side Vista cabin left. From photos, the ones on Caribe appear to be at least 80% covered. Nicer views for entry into Sydney & Newcastle, but no view of the coast heading south. I will give a bit of a rethink toward a Dolphin starboard suite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Thanks.

I was just looking at the available suites and am now surprised how few Coral has. I was wondering if it was only a location difference between the Vista and Premium. There is quite a price difference between the two locations, and the aft lifts look super convenient to me.

I did place a hold on C702, as it was the only port side Vista cabin left. From photos, the ones on Caribe appear to be at least 80% covered. Nicer views for entry into Sydney & Newcastle, but no view of the coast heading south. I will give a bit of a rethink toward a Dolphin starboard suite.

We found the aft elevator location perfect in the suites we had which were almost opposite each other - just other side of ship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We were in two diff vista suites as did 4 B2B. C 628 and c643 from memory. Identical apart from one of them had balcony doors easier to slide.

we were very happy with it all. We never used the spa bath for same reason others have mentioned in the past! We didnt want to get not be able to get out lol

loved the perks! Sabatini for breakfast especially. Two of my personal faves at breakfast! Roasted potatoes with poached egg & hollandaise, and French toast with maple syrup and crispy bacon.

if we got good special we’d book in an instant! However our next cruise is 14 day vancouver return Alaska cruise in may on the Grand. We’ve never been so be interesting. I believe it’s oldest ship in princess fleet.

628B7B1A-7BA9-493D-848F-54F45A3AD119.jpeg

798F132F-6F29-4719-90A0-4C68B1AAFFD9.jpeg

5E4F6BAC-3949-43BD-92E0-73DDA9FF3686.jpeg

Yes, Grand is a couple of years older than Coral. Been a while since I was aboard for Alaska out of San Francisco. Nice ship, and a great way to cruise Alaska.

Thanks for the food tips, that always goes down well. 

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

Yes, Grand is a couple of years older than Coral. Been a while since I was aboard for Alaska out of San Francisco. Nice ship, and a great way to cruise Alaska.

Thanks for the food tips, that always goes down well. 

First time Alaska and it’s our bucket list! Doing as much as we can while we have 12 month worldwide travel ins gir Frank seeing as he’s passed that magic age that declares you’re old!!!

we were going to do Hawaii from Sydney on coral in September but decided to cancel when Franks son in South Africa went from having pain in knee on 12 Dec to his wife being told they either amputate or he dies! Not a pleasant way for us to travel home but he’s still hanging on and coming to terms with it as he had no knowledge of what had to happen 😩😩 so we’ve booked to go back to South Africa instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Thanks.

The aft lifts were great. And you get plenty of exercise walking through to midships. 😁 

We had an aft balcony cabin on Baja deck on one of our cruises and could see people standing at the balcony railing in the Caribe suites below but I don't think we could see them if they were sitting on the loungers.

I did try the spa bath on one cruise - it was lovely but, yes, tricky to get out of if you're a plus size with wonky knees!

I think Princess may have started adding more suites with the Grand Class ships. Coral is a Panamax Class, designed to fit through the original Panama Canal locks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

First time Alaska and it’s our bucket list! Doing as much as we can while we have 12 month worldwide travel ins gir Frank seeing as he’s passed that magic age that declares you’re old!!!

we were going to do Hawaii from Sydney on coral in September but decided to cancel when Franks son in South Africa went from having pain in knee on 12 Dec to his wife being told they either amputate or he dies! Not a pleasant way for us to travel home but he’s still hanging on and coming to terms with it as he had no knowledge of what had to happen 😩😩 so we’ve booked to go back to South Africa instead.

Wow, so sorry to hear about Frank's son. That would have been a huge shock to him and his family. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wow, so sorry to hear about Frank's son. That would have been a huge shock to him and his family. 

It has been huge shock and he was unaware that decision had to be made. He’s got a long road ahead. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The aft lifts were great. And you get plenty of exercise walking through to midships. 😁 

We had an aft balcony cabin on Baja deck on one of our cruises and could see people standing at the balcony railing in the Caribe suites below but I don't think we could see them if they were sitting on the loungers.

I did try the spa bath on one cruise - it was lovely but, yes, tricky to get out of if you're a plus size with wonky knees!

I think Princess may have started adding more suites with the Grand Class ships. Coral is a Panamax Class, designed to fit through the original Panama Canal locks.

Our two last year were both in minis. The first was D620, right near the vista suites. It was easy to get around with just 2 flights down to the prom. The other was A504 and handy to midship lifts,  but lots more traffic and too many flights of stairs for my knees. Walking is fine though, which was usually past a bar or international cafe.

The price difference between minis and suites on this 3 nighter is so negligible, that we will enjoy the extras included - a bit of time in the thermal suite, an included Bayou dinner, Sabatini's breakfast and heaps of room.

Just a minor thing - have they improved the tiny TVs? The minis had 2 big screens that were easy to read info from, but the suite pics I have seen have older and smaller screen(s).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Wow. That puts cruising in perspective. Family comes first for sure.

I would be surprised if you don't fall in love with Alaska. C702 that we have a hold on is next door to C628, so good enough for us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Our two last year were both in minis. The first was D620, right near the vista suites. It was easy to get around with just 2 flights down to the prom. The other was A504 and handy to midship lifts,  but lots more traffic and too many flights of stairs for my knees. Walking is fine though, which was usually past a bar or international cafe.

The price difference between minis and suites on this 3 nighter is so negligible, that we will enjoy the extras included - a bit of time in the thermal suite, an included Bayou dinner, Sabatini's breakfast and heaps of room.

Just a minor thing - have they improved the tiny TVs? The minis had 2 big screens that were easy to read info from, but the suite pics I have seen have older and smaller screen(s).

The suites have the big screens too, as far as I can recall. I think all the TVs have been replaced by flat screens on Coral but since we rarely use cabin TVs I'm not 100% certain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

It has been huge shock and he was unaware that decision had to be made. He’s got a long road ahead. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Wishing him all the best for recovery, both physical and emotional. 😘

• Thanks 1