Live report for Coral Princess 16th June

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I reckon the HW got the 15% gratuity, taking the Dom sale from table waiter, lol. He would be happy.

Not sure. We have had some really good head waiters on Princess. On some lines, you only seem to notice them on the last night.

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not sure. We have had some really good head waiters on Princess. On some lines, you only seem to notice them on the last night.

If your cruise was on an Australian-based itinerary and if it was within the last 14 years, there wouldn't have been a gratuity added to the cost of the wine.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If your cruise was on an Australian-based itinerary and if it was within the last 14 years, there wouldn't have been a gratuity added to the cost of the wine.

Just a bit longer ago. Even then, there was a gratuity but was built into the price.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, plettza said:

I know a lot of appliances are multi-voltage but things like hairdryers and curling wands don't work so great on 120v

I’m not sure that, even if an Australian outlet is fitted that the voltage is changed - the sensible thing would be if it is wired into where the Euro were, as they are 220v. But not sure Coral ever had Euro outlets?
Only way to be sure I guess is ask ships engineers or electricians - or take a multimeter - 😉 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Even more lethal if it is within the cap of the plus package. I hope the medallion has a homing device to help you find your cabin after a night of drinking them.

Yes, there is. The app will show you how to get to different places onboard as well as how to get to your ship mates. 

You can, within in the Medallion Class app, bring up a screen for any one in your party and if they're already in bed, you can locate them on the app or the touchscreens around the ship and then tap "show me how to get there" or words to that effect

I never tried it on the app but I think I can usually get home OK after a few Schotchies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

25% discount on bottles of wine is the only discounted part I have seen.

Small bottles from the bar are included in the plus package. Your in cabin water bottles are not included in the package, and are charged via room service.

Thanks for that info, doing my rat in about a hours time,,,,my luggage is waiting for me to decide what to pack  getting exciting.

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I’m not sure that, even if an Australian outlet is fitted that the voltage is changed - the sensible thing would be if it is wired into where the Euro were, as they are 220v. But not sure Coral ever had Euro outlets?
Only way to be sure I guess is ask ships engineers or electricians - or take a multimeter - 😉 

I was told that the voltage was changed and that this was fairly simple, but they didn't change the cycles per second. The latter would be more difficult. The result is power that is 240 v but 60 cycles rather than 50 cycles as Aussie power is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I couldn’t fit both my multimeter AND my calipers!!!!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Cbtours said:

We boarded 11am and we’re in our cabin by 11.20am and our luggage was there when we got back from MDR lunch.

however we were the first cruise so no passengers before us so everyone’s cabin would have been ready.

everyone has to vacate their cabin in disembarkation by 8.30am so I would think there’s a good chance everyone’s will be ready promptly.

Remember though, on your first stint, no one had probably been in your cabin since 2020 😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

So we've sailed Legend and Spirit before and the hair-dryer has always worked without issue but on Coral on 120v, it just didn't achieve the same fan speed or heat. We didn't find any euro sockets either, hence why I was a little disappointed the cabin wasn't really ready of our hasn't been fitted with an Aus outlet. 

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was told that the voltage was changed and that this was fairly simple, but they didn't change the cycles per second. The latter would be more difficult. The result is power that is 240 v but 60 cycles rather than 50 cycles as Aussie power is.

So, we could bring a hairdryer?

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

Remember though, on your first stint, no one had probably been in your cabin since 2020 😁

I understand, but other rooms had outlets.  And with so many other cabins empty, we felt the offer of being moved to another would not have been too much of an imposition but slithery room was offered. We didn't unpack until we spoke to our steward and finally guest services, none of whom understand volts, amps and watts, etc. They just see our plugs have a funny male pin-out and the wall socket has a more familiar female connector. The solution? Just put in a plug adapter. Add I wrote elsewhere, you'd need a transformer to step the voltage up. 

As one moves through the corridors, the names of the people in the cabin is shown on the LCD panel by the door. Empty rooms did not list anyone's name. 

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I'm going back to my electronics technology days but most things should be ok even on 60 Hz but a heating element and a fan might give a slightly higher output as it's not rectified. Maybe with continued use, you'd prematurely burn the motors and elements out but 60 Hz shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Bringing along an old TV from the 80's might change the scan rate of the tube and some incandescent lights might flicker when you take video footage... 

But who's gonna bring along an old CRT TV? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No probs for any phone/pad chargers, most of which need less than 9 volts to charge.

There are travel hair dryers that have inbuilt 110-250V, 50-60Hz capability, but any that require 240V 50Hz would be a problem. There is a so-so hair dryer in the cabin, but I don't need to style a bouffant.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, plettza said:

I'm going back to my electronics technology days but most things should be ok even on 60 Hz but a heating element and a fan might give a slightly higher output as it's not rectified. Maybe with continued use, you'd prematurely burn the motors and elements out but 60 Hz shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Bringing along an old TV from the 80's might change the scan rate of the tube and some incandescent lights might flicker when you take video footage... 

Someone who packs very light??? 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Oh no ………… I just got a red box ……… seems I might be in trouble 😳

F22A5BD2-2E01-4EA4-A5DE-6EB34C4128F6.png

Nah, sometimes a post just doesn't take, and it sits there waiting for an admin to manually OK it. I waited 3 days once.

You might not be in trouble, but I think you broke CC

Edited by arxcards
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Nah, sometimes a post just doesn't take, and it sits there waiting for an admin to manually OK it. I waited 3 days once.

You might not be in trouble, but I think you broke CC

On nooooo 😵 sorry everyone!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. You can bring a hairdryer and also a hair straightener if you use one.

Thanks, just the hairdryer - I have one of those travel ones that switch between 110/240 so it’s the go 👍

11 minutes ago, plettza said:

We haven't had a problem using the 240-240v 60 Hz. Electrical appliances run  tiny bit faster. I heard of someone who had a plug-in clock. They didn't realise it would be running 20% faster and they were puzzled when they went outside for breakfast, that the ship appeared deserted. Eventually they realized that they had got up very early.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

Thanks, just the hairdryer - I have one of those travel ones that switch between 110/240 so it’s the go 👍

I have got one of those, but I just use the hairdryer that is supplied. It is very slow but OK for me as I have short hair.