Just been downgraded!

mumoftwo

Just had email from Cunard - leave on QE on 24th July - they need to move our cabin and only available is of a lower grade.

I am confused we are in a 4 berth cabin and as far as I can see there are no lower grade cabins that can take 4 people.  Email says they can not provide any more details at this time as they are sorting it out and we should know the new details within a few weeks.

Anyone else got this?  I wonder where we are being moved to.......

30 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Just had email from Cunard - leave on QE on 24th July - they need to move our cabin and only available is of a lower grade.

I am confused we are in a 4 berth cabin and as far as I can see there are no lower grade cabins that can take 4 people.  Email says they can not provide any more details at this time as they are sorting it out and we should know the new details within a few weeks.

You'll have sailed in a few weeks. And why tell you, if they can't provide any details? To give you a chance to move cruises perhaps, but that may not be easy. You will of course expect massive compensation. 

Edited by exlondoner

Can have full refund or $100 OBC offered as compensation and refund of the lower price.  We are travelling with others and have things organised before and after so no chance we can get something else.

What is puzzling me is where we are being downgraded to - daughter asked if she will have to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor (which actually they both be totally fine with)!

Thankfully excellent TA who is looking into it for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mumoftwo said:

Can have full refund or $100 OBC offered as compensation and refund of the lower price.  We are travelling with others and have things organised before and after so no chance we can get something else.

What is puzzling me is where we are being downgraded to - daughter asked if she will have to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor (which actually they both be totally fine with)!

Thankfully excellent TA who is looking into it for me.

Not refund of the lower price (that would be nice) no refund of the difference in price.

4 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Not refund of the lower price (that would be nice) no refund of the difference in price.

$100 OBC is measly, even if it is each for the four of you. One thing though, it is highly likely quite a number of people will drop out in the next month. Perhaps a Q1 will suddenly become free. 😀

• Like 2

No just the one $100 OBC - agreed rubbish.....particularly given the uncertainty for 'two to three' weeks whilst we can not ask them for any details whilst they sort it out.

Q1 would be good - one of the kids can sleep in the bath!

50 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Do you mind me asking what category you booked initially? Perhaps I can offer some insight into what category you might be downgraded to. More likely I'll be equally stumped, but I'll be glad to offer a second set of eyes on the deck plans.

I should not leave it 'two to three weeks', I should keep contacting them, or get your TA to do it, in the politest possible way, so you are in the front of their minds when the Q1 becomes free. I'm sure they could find a way to squeeze in a bed for the second child.

GC - TA confirmed there are no lower grade 4 berth cabins than this.......although the cunard rep has assured her there are.  TA told her no there are not and has a more senior contact she is emailing for us.

Very curious.

13 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

GC - TA confirmed there are no lower grade 4 berth cabins than this.......although the cunard rep has assured her there are.  TA told her no there are not and has a more senior contact she is emailing for us.

Very curious.

Very curious indeed. Please do let us know what you find out since I'm not able to make sense out of what you've been told by Cunard so far either.

The only category downgrade I can come up with from a deluxe inside GC to accommodate four passengers might be for Cunard to move you into two standard inside IA-IF cabins. I've heard of families using that strategy intentionally. That can be done as long as there is one adult on the booking for each cabin. I would hope that's not what Cunard has in mind. Just thinking out loud here.

Watching with some interest as we board on the same day and have deluxe inside booked - its a cabin marked with extra berths - but we are only 2 people and have the cabin booked with a "do not upgrade) for about 2 years - cabin 1064 . We are on until the 29 Aug though 

Two interconnecting standard insides would be fine - but would be nice to know what is going on.  Our friend is joining us - US booking single cabin  - almost identical email but being told they are getting an upgrade! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Two interconnecting standard insides would be fine - but would be nice to know what is going on.  Our friend is joining us - US booking single cabin  - almost identical email but being told they are getting an upgrade! 

How longa cruise - are you going all the way to Barcelona? 

11 minutes ago, lissie said:

Watching with some interest as we board on the same day and have deluxe inside booked - its a cabin marked with extra berths - but we are only 2 people and have the cabin booked with a "do not upgrade) for about 2 years - cabin 1064 . We are on until the 29 Aug though 

We are 1043 - will let you know what happens...ours has also been booked for about that length of time.  Those deluxe insides work for us lots of space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

We are 1043 - will let you know what happens...ours has also been booked for about that length of time.  Those deluxe insides work for us lots of space.

Us too we looked at upgrading to a balcony for the same price - but it was a big downgrade in inside space and we said no.  

Made a mistake - we are on in LA off Fort lauderdale - we fly into San Francisco 6 days before making our own way down the coast, then doing some time in Disney at the other end....away for almost 4 weeks in total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mumoftwo said:

Made a mistake - we are on in LA off Fort lauderdale - we fly into San Francisco 6 days before making our own way down the coast, then doing some time in Disney at the other end....away for almost 4 weeks in total.

Nice trip - we are starting to get excited too - we have 10  days in Hawaii and SF first.  Starting to actually believe it will happen. 

2 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

There are numerous 3 & 4 berth cabins that no longer appear on the deck plans for both QE and QV although they are still fitted as such. We have been in a couple of them.

@bluemarblehad a similar thought to me, maybe they’re thinking about two connecting two-berth cabins?

Does QE have connecting cabins? There is no symbol for connecting cabins on the QE deck plans so it's hard to tell from the deck plans alone. Some websites I've found indicate QE has no connecting cabins but those sites may simply be going by what the deck plans indicate.

I do remember numerous three and four berth cabins on QM2 were changed to double occupancy following the QM2 remastering. The thinking then was that was done to compensate for the new cabins added on deck 13 during the remastering. I'm intrigued to hear there are also cabins on QE and QV that are fitted as three and four berth cabins but not indicated as such on the deck plans.

As an aside, is anyone able to spot where this ¥ symbol is used on the QE deck plans? That symbol appears in the "Key to symbols" on the QE deck plans with the description "Indicates 3rd and 4th berths are single sofabeds". I can't find any cabins where that symbol is used though.

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

As an aside, is anyone able to spot where this ¥ symbol is used on the QE deck plans? That symbol appears in the "Key to symbols" on the QE deck plans with the description "Indicates 3rd and 4th berths are single sofabeds". I can't find any cabins where that symbol is used though.

Deck 1 1063 1043  and many others  that symbol is to the inside of the cabin number 

Edited by lissie

23 minutes ago, lissie said:

Deck 1 1063 1043  and many others  that symbol is to the inside of the cabin number 

We may be talking about two different symbols.

The QE deck plans I have show this  double dagger symbol next to many of the deluxe insides such as 1063, 1043, etc. That symbol is described as "Indicates 3rd and 4th berth are a single sofabed and one upper bed".

I'm looking for where this ¥ yen/yuan sign symbol is used. That symbol is described as "Indicates 3rd and 4th berths are single sofabeds".

I hope those two different symbols are coming across correctly in this post. I appreciate different platforms might not be reproducing those symbols here the same way I'm seeing them.

• Like 1