Positive test interpretation

Fishboy1947

I have posted this in the Covid testing subject but there is little activity there and we are approaching our deadline.  Hoping someone has experience to help

My grandson just received an inconclusive PCR test.  He has no symptoms.  In 10 days he is due to board the ship.  Am I reading the FAQ right? He is being retested today, June 15.  If the test is positive and he continues to be asymptomatic he will be able to board on June 25. 

What if I had Covid-19 and recovered and still test positive. Will I still be able to travel?

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive

for COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation if they are at

least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with

no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19

infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

•             Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified                           
  •             laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or ...

The positive test would be ten days prior to boarding.  He is asymptomatic and has a positive viral test result from a certified lab.  I think he would be able to board

Of course, we're hoping that the second test tonight will be negative

Thanks for any insight

36 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

I have posted this in the Covid testing subject but there is little activity there and we are approaching our deadline.  Hoping someone has experience to help

My grandson just received an inconclusive PCR test.  He has no symptoms.  In 10 days he is due to board the ship.  Am I reading the FAQ right? He is being retested today, June 15.  If the test is positive and he continues to be asymptomatic he will be able to board on June 25. 

What if I had Covid-19 and recovered and still test positive. Will I still be able to travel?

infection.

•             Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified                           

The positive test would be ten days prior to boarding.  He is asymptomatic and has a positive viral test result from a certified lab.  I think he would be able to board

Thanks for any insight

First of all, I would be honest and not try to hide the fact that his PCR Test was borderline.  Hopefully a repeat PCR would be negative.

I would suggest having an antigen test 48 hrs before the cruise.  If he is asymptomatic, and test is negative, I do believe he would be free to go. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

infection.

Thanks for any insight

I researched CDC protocols, since PCL does follow them. It looks like 10 days

is correct.  This is based on being fully vaccinated.  The test would need to be dated today, which is 10 days.

Maybe someone out there has gone through this?

What about anyone in close contact with him, that may be cruising with him?  They could be asymptomatic too.

Anyway, good luck!  Hope it’s negative!

Let us know! 

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I researched CDC protocols, since PCL does follow them. It looks like 10 days

is correct.  This is based on being fully vaccinated.  The test would need to be dated today, which is 10 days.

Maybe someone out there has gone through this?

What about anyone in close contact with him, that may be cruising with him?  They could be asymptomatic too.

Anyway, good luck!  Hope it’s negative!

Let us know! 

Yes, he is fully vaccinated. The whole family, 5 of them, all were just tested. His was inconclusive the rest were negative.

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Why would your grandson & whole family be testing so early (10 days prior) for Covid ( PCR) with no symptoms? Did I miss something?

i thought it was 2-3 days prior to cruising.

Maybe going on a land vacation first, somewhere that needs testing. It’s a good question, for sure. 

13 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Why would your grandson & whole family be testing so early (10 days prior) for Covid ( PCR) with no symptoms? Did I miss something?

i thought it was 2-3 days prior to cruising.

One of their friends tested positive last week so they wanted to see if any of them were affected to control any spread.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

infection.

Thanks for any insight

You need a positive between 10 and 90 days from embarkation.   Combine that with a simple document of recovery from your DOC.   Of course, if the second test is negative, then none of the following is needed.   

This is from Princess' website for North American ports --  note that it may vary by embarkation port.  This is clearly laid out on their website.    

"Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of the date of their cruise departure date or cruisetour departure date (whichever starts first) do not need to get a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an offcial health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. Guests who are unable to provide documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, must take the required COVID-19 viral test before their vacation and show a negative result."

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

You need a positive between 10 and 90 days from embarkation.   Combine that with a simple document of recovery from your DOC.   Of course, if the second test is negative, then none of the following is needed.   

This is from Princess' website for North American ports --  note that it may vary by embarkation port.  This is clearly laid out on their website.    

"Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of the date of their cruise departure date or cruisetour departure date (whichever starts first) do not need to get a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an offcial health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. Guests who are unable to provide documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, must take the required COVID-19 viral test before their vacation and show a negative result."

I don’t see the requirement of letter from DOC. Says “paper or electronic copies of the positive test result …” plus must be at least 10 days from their COVID infection

3 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

I don’t see the requirement of letter from DOC. Says “paper or electronic copies of the positive test result …” plus must be at least 10 days from their COVID infection

See the second bullet in the pasted quote from Princess' website.   

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If you’re referring to this one, don’t overlook the “or” like I did when I first read it.

COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

• A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an offcial health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you’re referring to this one, don’t overlook the “or” like I did when I first read it.

Yikes!  I absolutely did overlook the "or".   Sorry about that.   I guess it is no surprise that Carnival has the same rule.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

44 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Scratch my earlier response.  See posts #14 & #15.  

9 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

One of their friends tested positive last week so they wanted to see if any of them were affected to control any spread.

Did you get a retest? If so, did you get a result?

16 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Just got the result NEGATIVE

can breathe a little easier now, but still 9 days to go

Thanks to all for your input

wear mask and social distance the rest of the time.  AND I would highly recommend that you also wear masks and social distance while you’re on the cruise.  It may be an inconvenience but it’s better than getting Covid during the cruise. I didn’t mask up and I tested positive after I got home. I then gave it to my son. 

Edited by wolvey

19 minutes ago, wolvey said:

wear mask and social distance the rest of the time.  AND I would highly recommend that you also wear masks and social distance while you’re on the cruise.  It may be an inconvenience but it’s better than getting Covid during the cruise. I didn’t mask up and I tested positive after I got home. I then gave it to my son. 

What you said is our plan.