Fiji Re-opening to Cruise Ships

I didn't realise they even had a cruise ban - just the overall ban on visitors. Oh well, either way it is good they are open, but that pre-arrival RAT is gonna scare a few ships off.

Edited by arxcards

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Includes a valid medical travel insurance policy with international coverage of Covid-19"

I wonder how they determine this?

My travel insurance through my employer covers Covid 19. It doesn't say in the policy that it does, it just does. It is not listed as an exclusion. Just like it doesn't say i'm specifically covered for Norovirus, tetanus, or a staph infection. We got an email last summer from the company saying that their travel policies cover Covid.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

My travel insurance through my employer covers Covid 19. It doesn't say in the policy that it does, it just does. It is not listed as an exclusion. Just like it doesn't say i'm specifically covered for Norovirus, tetanus, or a staph infection. We got an email last summer from the company saying that their travel policies cover Covid.

Ā 

Id just check with my travel insurance company that the policy covers me for international coverage of covid 19 and keep a copy of their response.Ā 

Just now, Mikamarii said:

Ā 

We just came back from Fiji. We just had to show we hadĀ  insurance cover they don't check through it.

Ā 

5 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

We just came back from Fiji. We just had to show we hadĀ  insurance cover they don't check through it.

Ā 

Thats good, all we have is a travel card with important numbers/policy numbers.Ā  It always just makes me wonder why there are these strict policies they don't really have a way of enforcing.

Ā 

And thank you MMDownunder for your reply as well.

Ā 

We have no port stops in Fiji but I imagine other islands will be look to apply similar restrictions as they re-open as well. Our final payment for our transpacific is due in about 3 weeks.Ā 

In short, they don't determine this, but they are also saying - told you so - if you happen to get sick while there. There is the potential of random screening, but like you say, how can they know based on a policy number.

Ā 

Similarly, New Caledonia has long required all tourists/visitors to have travel insurance, but I am not aware of anyone being stopped at the wharf to have this checked.

1 hour ago, Mikamarii said:

Thats good, all we have is a travel card with important numbers/policy numbers.Ā  It always just makes me wonder why there are these strict policies they don't really have a way of enforcing.

Ā 

And thank you MMDownunder for your reply as well.

Ā 

We have no port stops in Fiji but I imagine other islands will be look to apply similar restrictions as they re-open as well. Our final payment for our transpacific is due in about 3 weeks.Ā 

I have been on two cruises where I had to have evacuation insurance coverage. Ā One was this year on a small Australian ship. Ā There was an Australian company which provided this level of insurance for passengers on ships with under 100 passengers. Ā The other time was when I did a 25 day cruise to Antarctica etc. Ā I wouldn't cruise there without it. Ā Can you imagine what it would cost to be evacuated from Antarctica?

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Ā  Can you imagine what it would cost to be evacuated from Antarctica?

Oh for sure. I'm definitely not doubting the need for travel insurance. I have separate policies through mine and my wife's work, plus 2 that come with credit cards. I regularly review them to ensure I understand the coverage.Ā  Just saying I don't understand the "you must have this type of insurance to enter "unless they plan to have someone reading and verifying policies.Ā 

Maybe the cruise companies could cover the Covid bit to appease the Fijians.Ā  I've been looking at insurance policies and the Covid restrictions are quite confusing to say the least when you read the fine print.

Ā 

We could take our own RATS with us because we will take several days to get to Fiji and will probably call in at Noumea or somewhere on the way.

Ā 

I have a Fiji trip booked for next Feb on the Grand Princess.Ā  Booked at least 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Maybe the cruise companies could cover the Covid bit to appease the Fijians.Ā  I've been looking at insurance policies and the Covid restrictions are quite confusing to say the least when you read the fine print.

Ā 

We could take our own RATS with us because we will take several days to get to Fiji and will probably call in at Noumea or somewhere on the way.

Ā 

I have a Fiji trip booked for next Feb on the Grand Princess.Ā  Booked at least 18 months ago.

Ships security might confiscate your RATs then use them on pax on board @ $99 plus gratuity, lol.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Ships security might confiscate your RATs then use them on pax on board @ $99 plus gratuity, lol.

I don't know about the cruiselines that haven't re-started in our region, but Princess has stated that they supply complimentary RATS.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know about the cruiselines that haven't re-started in our region, but Princess has stated that they supply complimentary RATS.

Same on P&O. If you need to be tested, it is free. I am not sure for either if you can ask for a free test, or if it is only supplied if you have symptoms or are a close contact to someone who has tested positive.

Ā 

If there is screening required prior to a port visit, it would be free. Personally though, I think the ships will largely dodge any port that requires screening, as it might also generate reportable numbers.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, Ondine said:

Ā 

Ā 

In Fiji 2 weeks ago we had to have a supervised RAT test which we had at the Hilton,Ā  we then got sent a Fiji government certificate. They really didn't even look at it to embark on our 7 night cruise. And then we got covid within 3 days on the boat anyway. It's Really all for nothing really other then making money I reckon.Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was joking, you dont understand my warped style of humour, lol.