Latest time to disembark Reflection at Civitavecchia ?

barneymag

Hi, what is the latest time we can expect to disembark Reflection at Civitavecchia in September ? 9.00am/10.00am ?? We have an late afternoon flight out of Rome Fiumicino and trying to avoid kicking our heels for 6 or 7 hours in the airport 

no point going back into Rome as we are spending 3 nights pre-cruise

anything to do around the airport ??

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sailed last month at the latest was 9:00 am, although they tried getting everyone off even earlier 

Thanks for the quick reply

if we manage to stay on until 9am how long was it taking from leaving the ship to be outside the terminal ? We will be arranging a private transfer to the airport so trying to gauge what time to book transfer for.

We might drop bags at airport and jump in a taxi to Fiumicino City and have a look around the town for a few hours and grab lunch

Anyone visited the town of Fiumicino and an6 recommendations ??

If you want to kill a few hours near FCO you could visit the ruins at nearby Ostia Antica.  The area is quite impressive.

As to the city of Fiumcino, the area along the sea is a typical sea resort neighborhood with a beach and associated walkway.  Across the street from the beach there are some decent restaurants.   Otherwise there is not much worth seeing.

Hank

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Generally 9:00 but could be slightly earlier or later.   They initially make a final call to disembark and then begin the B2B process once they zero out the ship. 

Is this for a 5am arrival?  Curious as our Edge cruise is to arrive at 5am so not sure when they're going to expect us out of the stateroom - we are the opposite though, we want off ASAP as we are flying home the next day so want to get as much Rome in as we can as we only have the night we return and the night before we depart.

20 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Is this for a 5am arrival?  Curious as our Edge cruise is to arrive at 5am so not sure when they're going to expect us out of the stateroom - we are the opposite though, we want off ASAP as we are flying home the next day so want to get as much Rome in as we can as we only have the night we return and the night before we depart.

Things are often the same but could be different if arriving from an non-Eu country.   My experience is they usually begin walk off's around 6:00 - 6:15 AM.    They then start calling numbers.   They usually ask you vacate your room by 8:00 so they can begin preparation of rooms for the next cruise. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Things are often the same but could be different if arriving from an non-Eu country.   My experience is they usually begin walk off's around 6:00 - 6:15 AM.    They then start calling numbers.   They usually ask you vacate your room by 8:00 so they can begin preparation of rooms for the next cruise. 

Thanks so much Jim.  Our previous port is Naples (cruise begins/ends in Rome and also visits France/Spain so we will be in the EU already).  We are being crazy people and going to Europe with carry-ons only (GASP!) so will look forward to getting off as soon as we can - just need to figure out when the train starts running from the port now but I'll look for departures around 7am or so, so we can get a bit of breakfast in.  Doing a tour of the Vatican at 1pm so should give us plenty of time to dump our bags at the hotel and do a bit of sightseeing in between.

55 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

We sailed from Rome last month. We did arrive at 5 am, but walk off started at 6:30

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Thanks so much Jim.  Our previous port is Naples (cruise begins/ends in Rome and also visits France/Spain so we will be in the EU already).  We are being crazy people and going to Europe with carry-ons only (GASP!) so will look forward to getting off as soon as we can - just need to figure out when the train starts running from the port now but I'll look for departures around 7am or so, so we can get a bit of breakfast in.  Doing a tour of the Vatican at 1pm so should give us plenty of time to dump our bags at the hotel and do a bit of sightseeing in between.

Here's a really neat way with little work-

Go to Google Maps and put in Civitavecchia and then from the map click Directions and choose the Transit Icon (a train) and where you want to go. (Roma Termini)

It will show you the train schedule.    When I just did it the first train is about 4:30am.   You can choose the departure day and time to fine tune.

From the Cruise Ship they have a free shuttle to a parking lot just out side of town.  From there you buy a bus ticket (a couple Euros) and it drops you off right at the train station.   All the attendants speak English and bus depart about every 15-30 minutes.   Takes about an hour  to 1 1/2 hours to Rome depending on which station you are going to.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Here's a really neat way with little work-

Go to Google Maps and put in Civitavecchia and then from the map click Directions and choose the Transit Icon (a train)  

It will show you the train schedule.    When I just did it the first train is about 4:30am.   You can choose the departure day and time.

From the Cruise Ship they have a free shuttle to a parking lot just out side of town.  From there you buy a bus ticket (a couple Euros) and it drops you off right at the train station.   All the attendants speak English and bus depart about every 15-30 minutes.   Takes about an hour  to 1 1/2 hours to Rome depending on which station you are going to.

Being the Rick Steves fangirl that I am, I find this site he suggested invaluable for trains - even though it is German it has all the trains in Europe no matter what country you're in as it obviously communicates with all the regional companies!  Thought I would post it for anyone else looking for the same...

https://www.bahn.com/en

Yep - one can experience everything Rome has to offer in 3 days pre-cruise.../s/

If you don't want to go into Rome, try Ostia Antica.  Its the port Rome of Rome starting around 3rd century BC though 4th century AD.  Accord got Wiki:  The site is noted for the excellent preservation of its ancient buildings, magnificent frescoes and impressive mosaics.  Its a fun and interesting place to visit.  Facilities and food available.

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

I guess if they kick people out before 9am then I can just as well book a flight ex FCO at 10:50am.

Not recommended.  We were there last month.  We left the ship early, just after sunrise.  It took almost an hour by taxi to the airport.  Once there, the line to check in was very long, even for American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum customers.  It took well over an hour from the time we exited the taxi until we got to our departure gate.  They started boarding almost an hour before flight time, and closed the door nearly 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time, so an hour and 50 minutes likely will not be enough.  Italian airport authorities suggest arriving at the airport three hours before departure.  We got there about 2-1/2 hours early and barely made it.

Edited by The Traveling Man

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I guess if they kick people out before 9am then I can just as well book a flight ex FCO at 10:50am.

Just fine if all works perfectly.   You need to be at FCO a minimum of 2 hours early and it I'd an hour to FCO IF there is not an accident.  Others have already commented about long lines at FCO.  Check in last week for grandson took 2+ HOURS.

7 of 8 cruises had no customs check at Civitavecchia.   The other time a huge inspection looking for possibly drugs.  Took till 9am as a walkoff to get out of the dock area.

7 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Not recommended.  We were there last month.  We left the ship early, just after sunrise.  It took almost an hour by taxi to the airport.  Once there, the line to check in was very long, even for American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum customers.  It took well over an hour from the time we exited the taxi until we got to our departure gate.  They started boarding almost an hour before flight time, and closed the door nearly 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time, so an hour and 50 minutes likely will not be enough.  Italian airport authorities suggest arriving at the airport three hours before departure.  We got there about 2-1/2 hours early and barely made it.

I'd take Lufthansa with carry-on only to Frankfurt. That being said I'm not in a rush, just the other flights are double in price and that would be a waste.

Ask about extend your stay, we have done this before and it worked well for us with a late flight, you pay a little extra and can stay onboard the ship longer.  At the moment I would not consider anything before 1pm, as so many airlines and airports are experiencing huge issues with lack of staff which backs everything up. 

We have on Sept 5 an 11:05 am flight out of Fco to the US. We plan to walk off the Reflection at 6:30am and Roma cabs will pick us up at 7:15 am. With on line check in the day before I think this should be sufficient time as it is after the July/August vacation crush and on a Monday, not a weekend which is a holiday in the US.

4 hours ago, ladylemondrop said:

Ask about extend your stay, we have done this before and it worked well for us with a late flight, you pay a little extra and can stay onboard the ship longer.  At the moment I would not consider anything before 1pm, as so many airlines and airports are experiencing huge issues with lack of staff which backs everything up. 

It has been reported that this isn't available in the Covid era due to ship cleaning and sanitization

We also have a late afternoon flight and will disembark as late as possible around 9.30am.

We are staying in Civitavecchia before the cruise and our hotel has agreed to store our luggage post cruise for a few hours and organise the taxi to Rome airport from there later in the day.

Previously we would have purchased the 'Extend your stay' package and remained on the ship for a few extra hours but this option is not available for the foreseeable future due to covid.

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

Does Celebrity offer airport transfers to book while on board?

Still have to call them to see if they have day of departure transfers too. Not really in the mood to pay 100-150 EUR for a taxi to go to/from the port.

Last month the taxi from the port to FCO was 200 Euros.  We didn't have that much cash, so the driver was willing to accept 150 Euros plus $60 US.  Last October the same trip for two persons plus luggage was just 150 Euros.