Keukenhof Gardens

GoPackFan

I'd like to book a river cruise next Spring that would include an excursion to Keukenhof Gardens.  I'm looking for info from anyone that has done this before.  Do I need more than a half day to enjoy the gardens?  Also, how far are the Gardens from various ports - Utrecht, Amsterdam, and did you take a tour bus to get there?  

I did this on Uniworld in 2010. We had already docked the previous night in Amsterdam, and debarkation was the following day. We got to Keukenhof about 10 in the morning if I remember correctly. Uniworld had a choice of 2 return times; there was a bus going back at 12:30 and one at about 3:30. I'm not really interested in flowers; I was sure that I would be on the first bus back, but I LOVED Keukenhof. We were there at the end of April in a year where spring was a bit late and everything was in bloom. (I was amazed at how many people took the early shuttle back saying that they needed the time to pack, but that is another issue.)

That said, Keukenhof is easy to do on your own. I know that @Host Jazzbeaudid it recently. Perhaps he can comment.

There are many commercial tours to Keukenhof from Amsterdam, giving you a great deal more flexibility in the selection of your river cruise if you choose to visit the gardens before or after the cruise. Of you want a DIY outing, there's an easy train/bus routing that takes you there in just over an hour.

I would also second Fouremco's idea about doing a pre cruise (Amsterdam is extremely easy to get around on your own) and take one day to see the gardens.  We had probably about 4-5 hrs, and could easily have spent the whole day. Even my husband who was "dragged" there enjoyed it a lot. 

• Like 1

Definitely the whole day!  It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  I do love flowers and probably took 500 pictures that day.  Yes, I take too many pictures.  It is a beautiful, peaceful day.  Take the time to enjoy it and don't be rushed.  We also did it pre cruise, easy to get to from Amsterdam.  

We went straight from the airport to Keukenhof (they have an express bus from Schiphol and you can buy the combination tickets online).  Jet lag meant we pooped out after 2 hours there, which was fine for taking the bus and tram back to Centraal Station and walking to the ship.  [We used Bagpoint to transfer our luggage:  they met us at the airport, sent photos of the bags being handed over to AMA, and our bags were in our cabin when we got there!]

AMA also offered Keukenhof as an option toward the end of our cruise, which allowed us to see the rest of it.  I think most cruises billed as 'Tulip Time' will include Keukenhof, and it is so large that we were very happy we had split our visit – also we could notice the difference in blooms after almost a week [many beds are planted in layers so when the early tulips end the late ones are beginning].

While we really enjoyed Keukenhof, we enjoyed Floralia [a castle with over a million tulip bulbs in its gardens] even more!  It's located outside Brussels, and was offered as an excursion option from Antwerp.

I just booked a Tulip Time cruise with Avalon for end of April next year. Keukenhof is an option on the day we dock in Rotterdam. There are half day and full day options for Keukenhof. I'm going in 1 day early so will have extra time in Amsterdam and may go to Keukenhof independently as well. The main reason for this cruise is to see tulips.