Celebrity WiFi Question

kpark895

Hi.  Sailing solo on the Summit in June 26th.  I have the all inclusive package, including the basic wifi.  Even though I am solo, it's for 2 devices.  Last week I called to upgrade to the premium wifi, for which I paid for a one device upgrade.  Since I am bringing 2 devices onboard - a phone and an Amazon Fire, how do I switch the premium wifi between devices?  Do I just have one device logged onto the wifi at a time?  I really don't want to spend time in line at the internet desk after boarding - that's a waste of good enjoying the ship time!  TIA!

On 6/17/2022 at 10:02 AM, jakebloke said:

I was on the Summit last week using an iPhone and an iPad.  It’s good that you are getting the upgrade because the basic free WiFi was horrible.  In fact, worst reception I have had on any cruise, ever.  Anyway, if you have WiFi enabled on one device and try to log on to another, you will get a message telling you that your original device will be logged off and the new one logged on.  You have to agree.

Edited by Suzanne123

OP has a two device package, so no kicking off the device.

My guess is that the first device will be higher speed, but not sure they can even control which is which. Potentially logging off first device would make high speed connection available to third device.

Would not surprise me if both devices will get the upgraded internet unless they give you two different logins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kpark895 said:

Hi.  Sailing solo on the Summit in June 26th.  I have the all inclusive package, including the basic wifi.  Even though I am solo, it's for 2 devices.  Last week I called to upgrade to the premium wifi, for which I paid for a one device upgrade.  Since I am bringing 2 devices onboard - a phone and an Amazon Fire, how do I switch the premium wifi between devices?  Do I just have one device logged onto the wifi at a time?  I really don't want to spend time in line at the internet desk after boarding - that's a waste of good enjoying the ship time!  TIA!

Two device package will allow you to have both devices connected at once - I’ve had this, you connect at the beginning and choose duration of trip.

What I don’t know is how upgrading one device will affect this. I usually get the upgraded one device pkg and switch between my 2 devices, although it was nice that one time to not have to swap constantly. If it doesn’t automatically upgrade both devices, I would read the prompts very carefully when first signing on because you will likely want your most used device to get the upgrade.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how they handle with 2 devices with different packages.   I would assume you create two separate accounts - on regular and one High Speed. 

In a RS you get 2 devices per passenger and with that it just knows how many devices are logged on.  If I log on a 3rd device it asks me if I want to knock another one off the air.  

If you want to use the high speed on 2 devices all you have to do is log out of one and log in on the other.    My rational is that if two passengers were traveling in your room and only one upgrades the other is still the basic.  

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who answered my question.  Unless I actually get high speed on both (by accident!), I guess I'll have to mostly do the log on/log off thing.  I'll mostly be using my phone during the day, and my Fire late evening if I want to try and stream some recorded TV show, or even stream my available television shows from my provider, although not sure if even high speed WiFi would be good enough.

9 hours ago, hoklun said:

Curious what phone do you have? Recent androids allow you to wifi tether now, so u can share 1 login.... 

I have a Samsung A42.  But not interested in any tech work arounds.  My package allows for two devices to be logged in at one time, I assume, since it specifically states I have wifi for 2.  I guess I'll find out how the premium works when I board and how to switch it between the two devices.

I always thought that if you had 2 comp packages you could just setup 2 different accounts selecting a different comp package for each.   When I tried that when I tried to setup the second account under my folio number it said I already had an account.   I had to get the iLounge to add the second device.   In my case the packages were both stream so that worked ok.   In your situation where you have one surf and one stream I do think you are going to need to inquire once on board.