21 Chef’s Table Menus?

Clay Clayton

Finally had “Sweet and Salty” last night.  Perhaps my expectations were too high but it was just ok😢. It wasn’t helped that our scallops were overcooked and that the passion fruit sauce had baked onto the plate. The tenderloin was delicious but the whole menu didn’t read sweet and salty to me.  We are not sure that the paragraph about the black salt was about as we saw none🤔.  Forgot to take a picture of the granité. 

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

• Thanks 1

You have looked forward to this menu for so long I am sorry that it was a disappointment.  You should have sent the scallops back if they were overcooked and ask about the black salt.  I am sure they would have corrected the problem.

11 hours ago, Dukefan said:

You have looked forward to this menu for so long I am sorry that it was a disappointment.  You should have sent the scallops back if they were overcooked and ask about the black salt.  I am sure they would have corrected the problem.

They weren’t so overcooked as to be inedible or we would have sent them back. Just not as tasty as we’ve had elsewhere. 

After having been to Chef Table numerous times, I have concluded that the menu does not mean a whole lot (unless it contains lamb which I cannot tolerate). I find that for the same menu, the meals, in terms of taste, texture, presentation, and etc. are subject to each chef’s interpretation.  Sometimes, they are very different than typical expectation (oh, whatever). It is like rolling a dice, 1/3 wow hit, 1/3 meh, and 1/3 acceptable. Still, it is an acceptable and welcoming alternative.

We had Xiang tonight. As always very tasty. Two changes since last time we had it. Rather than rice in lotus leaf we had fried rice in bowl. Didn’t think about it being different than listed on the menu until after we left the restaurant so not sure what caused the modification. 

The dessert was the same but the presentation was different.  It was made to look like a mango (we had a similarly presented lemon dessert a few weeks back in The Restaurant and was served on a bed of pistachio “dust”. The qmango was beautiful and delicious!

1.Xiang

Amuse Bouche

Hot & Sour Soup - cantonese style

First Course

Fried Prawns - crispy garlic & chili

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Wok-Fried Beef - black pepper sauce, rice in lotus leaf

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7175.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had Xiang tonight. As always very tasty. Two changes since last time we had it. Rather than rice in lotus leaf we had fried rice in bowl. Didn’t think about it being different than listed on the menu until after we left the restaurant so not sure what caused the modification. 

The dessert was the same but the presentation was different.  It was made to look like a mango (we had a similarly presented lemon dessert a few weeks back in The Restaurant and was served on a bed of pistachio “dust”. The qmango was beautiful and delicious!

1.Xiang

Amuse Bouche

First Course

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7175.jpeg

We noticed the same change in our Xiang menu last December, Clay.

So perhaps it was a universal change.

I asked the (more senior) waiter about the lotus leaves versus rice on the plate.  Whether it is true or not, he did say that many people complained about having to deal with the lotus leaves and there were a several comments left about why couldn't they just put the rice on a plate instead.

If so, never ceases to amaze me what people complain about.  

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

Clay,

Your photo of the mango cream desert confirms my earlier conclusion that the food in Chef Table varies a little, subject to interpretation of the chef at the time.  The first and best ever mango desert that I tasted from Chef Table was on first day of last year’s World Cruise.  Your looks like the filling is mixed with tapioca, so I suspect the presence of tapioca would make the filling drier, more fluffy, and less smooth. Mine was more like creamy and smooth egg custard filling in typical Portuguese egg custard tart but without the overly rich taste. Our Chef added a thin fruit jam layer, which enhanced the refreshing taste without making it too sweet.  The outside shell in mine looks more crisp, I think. Any way, I think the Chef Table’s mango cream desert is one of the best Viking desert, especially that my most favorite fruit is mango.

Edited by dreamercruise
Redo photo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We noticed the same change in our Xiang menu last December, Clay.

So perhaps it was a universal change.

I asked the (more senior) waiter about the lotus leaves versus rice on the plate.  Whether it is true or not, he did say that many people complained about having to deal with the lotus leaves and there were a several comments left about why couldn't they just put the rice on a plate instead.

If so, never ceases to amaze me what people complain about.  

But why don’t they change how they list it?  Agree with you about people complaining…

7 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Clay,

Your photo of the mango cream desert confirms my earlier conclusion that the food in Chef Table varies a little, subject to interpretation of the chef at the time.  The first and best ever mango desert that I tasted from Chef Table was on first day of last year’s World Cruise.  Your looks like the filling is mixed with tapioca, so I suspect the presence of tapioca would make the filling drier, more fluffy, and less smooth. Mine was more like creamy and smooth egg custard filling in typical Portuguese egg custard tart but without the overly rich taste. Our Chef added a thin fruit jam layer, which enhanced the refreshing taste without making it too sweet.  The outside shell in mine looks more crisp, I think. Any way, I think the Chef Table’s mango cream desert is one of the best Viking desert, especially that my most favorite fruit is mango.

It was very smooth filling but I think you’re right about the tapioca.  And agree about how good it is and mango being my favorite…along with passion fruit. 

• Thanks 1

I prefer authentic sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaves (steamed with uncooked sticky rice grains stuffed with meat or steamed with fried sticky rice mixed with meat inside leaves) over regular fried rice (not sticky rice). The lotus leaves give special flavor to the rice, 

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

• Like 4

Clay,

The Xiang is our favorite Chef's Table menu. On our last Viking Cruise our fried prawns were cool and limp so thought a large batch was cooked and allowed to sit until served. As we were leaving the head waiter asked how our meal was.  I told him about the cool, limp prawns.  The next day we received a reservation for the Chet's Table, serving the Xiang menu.The head waiter checked with us several times about the quality of the food.  Everything was excellent, the prawn were hot and crispy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MSEm said:

Clay,

The Xiang is our favorite Chef's Table menu. On our last Viking Cruise our fried prawns were cool and limp so thought a large batch was cooked and allowed to sit until served. As we were leaving the head waiter asked how our meal was.  I told him about the cool, limp prawns.  The next day we received a reservation for the Chet's Table, serving the Xiang menu.The head waiter checked with us several times about the quality of the food.  Everything was excellent, the prawn were hot and crispy.

That's nice. But ----- should they need two tries?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

But why don’t they change how they list it?  Agree with you about people complaining…

I gather it was a fairly recent change.  I doubt Viking would do a complete reprint of all those menus for a bit.  At least they told us up front.  AND they could have updated the menus shown on the shipboard screens.   I wouldn't doubt it is down at the bottom of their overall priority lists.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had the new-ish Korean menu n Venus last night.  Overall , good review.   Other than the soup that replaces granite was extra salty.  I had the gluten free items and my husband had “ normal” offerings.  Both agree, overall very tasty,  but soup is too salty 

would go again 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

IMG_2445.thumb.jpeg.f39052576a312f3b018c269ad3c372b3.jpegIMG_2445.thumb.jpeg.f39052576a312f3b018c269ad3c372b3.jpegJust back from the new Philippine Menu. We really enjoyed it another great addition to the many menus. Al the dishes were amazing save the granite which was relatively flavorless.  I suspect that like folks from California say that menu isn’t very Californian, I suspect some would say this isn’t Phillipino, but during his demonstration the other day he said it was fusion and that it is-but very tasty fusion.  We asked when he stopped by our table if it was going to be served on other ships and he said, “hopefully on longer cruises”

Chefs Table Menus

1.Xiang

Amuse Bouche

First Course

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

2.Asian Panorama

Amuse Bouche

Chilled King Crab - coconut foam & curry

First Course

Lobster & Chicken Shu Mai - Shanghai style

Granité

Lemongrass & Red Chili Granité - lychee foam

Main Course

Peking Duck - crispy skin, Mandarin pancake, hoisin sauce

Dessert

Asian Trilogy - spring roll, crème brûlée & cheesecake

3.Mexico

Amuse Bouche

Tostadas De Pulpo

First Course

Tamalito De Pollo - salsa verde

Granité

Nopales Con Limon 

Main Course

Short Rib - mole, pure de camote, miel de agave

Dessert

Chocolate En Texturas - mousse, biscocho, crumble

4.La Route Des Indes

Amuse Bouche

Carrot & Cardamon Cream - orange & star anise foam

First Course

Spicy Tuna Tataki - Szechuan peppercorns, coriander & sesame oil; pickled vegetables

Granité

Ginger & Tarragon Granité - infused vodka, lemon foam

Main Course

Beef Tenderloin With Four Warm Spices - vitelotte mousseline, mushrooms, jus

Dessert

Apple Délice Facon Tarte Tatin - butterscotch calvados sauce

5.Erling's Scandinavian Bistro

Amuse Bouche

Reindeer Consommé - handmade ravioli

First Course

Salmon Déclinaison - herb crusted poached loin, aquavit infused gravlax, lingonberry infused tartare, caviar; pickled cucumber

Granité

Lappland Delight Granité

Main Course

Lamb Får-i-kål - façon chef’s table

Dessert

Cloudberry Soup, Vanilla - white chocolate panna cotta; sesame ice cream and goro (wafer)

6.Lotus

Amuse Bouche

Goan Potato Chop – semolina crusted potato, vegetable & cheese cake; sambal spinach

First Course

Chili Soft Shell Crab – crispy crab, tomato-chili gravy

Granité

Red Lotus – lychee & guava, cranberry juice, lychee liquor

Main Course

Thai Spiced Rack of Lamb – stir fried purple eggplant; sweet chili, baby corn

Dessert

Yuzu Cheesecake – green tea tuile, sake-marinated plum

7.Venice Carnival

Amuse Bouche

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Jelly – goat chesse latte foam

First Course

Beef Carpaccio – fig & mustard vinaigrette

Granité

Bellini – peach juice foam

Main Course

Cod Fillet – Jerusalem artichoke risotto, latte di tartufo

Dessert

Mascarpone Passion – mascarpone mousse & passion fruit cremeux

8.A Gastronomic Journey Through Time

Amuse Bouche

Roman Empire Delicacy – romaine & cucumber, goat cheese mousse

First Course

Gallic Oxtail Consomme – julienned vegetables

Granité

Medieval “Black & Blue” - vodka, mint & mixed berries

Main Course

Renaissance-Style Lamb Filet – sweet potato mash, glazed carrot medley, quintessential ju

Dessert

21st Century Nut Brownie – pecan & walnut, chocolate mirror glaze; pistachio ice cream

9.Sweet and Salty

Amuse Bouche

Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho

First Course

Grilled Scallop with Beet root and passion fruit

Granité

Procciutto & Melon

Main Course

Veal Tenderloin with pumpkin & red onion marmalade 

Dessert

Strawberry & Basil Delight with Grand Marnier Cream, basil jelly and black Hawaiian lava salt

10.Great Britain 1: Cuisine from an Island Nation

Amuse Bouche

Quail Scotch Eggs – quick pickle, edible flowers, dressed baby salad leaves

First Course

Beer-Battered Fish & Chips – vinegar salt, minted pea puree, tartar sauce

Granité

Gin & Tonic – lemon twist

Main Course

Mini Yorkshire Pudding & Slow Braised Brisket – rich beef gravy, garden vegetables with chive butter

Dessert

Whim-Wham – Scittish Regency trifle with raspberries, oranges & whipped cream

11.California

Amuse Bouche

Sweet Potato Chip with apple, rosemary, crème fraiche

First Course

Crab Cake with avocado, orange, fennel, shallot, dill & blood orange

Granité

Moscow Mule with vodka, ginger beer & lime juice

Main Course

Seared Halibut with California olive, herb vinaigrette, crumbled roasted cauliflower, buttered panko 

Dessert

Ojai Mandarin Parfait with candied ginger

12.Sri Lankan

Amuse Bouche

Sweet Potato Chip with apple, rosemary, crème fraiche

First Course

Rock Lobster Devel with Kothu Roti

Granité

Spice Garden Arrack Whisky

Main Course

Polonnaruwa Pepped Beef with curred galic rice, coconut, pickled vegetables, cilantro & red chili 

Dessert

Sri Lankan Tropical Dessert Watalappan & Coconut Mango Ice Cream, Jelly Custard

13.Great Britain 2: Cuisine from an Island Nation

Amuse Bouche

Glamorgan Sausages, Apple Chutney, Edible Flowers and Dressed Baby Salad Leaves

First Course

Beer-Battered Fish & Chips – vinegar salt, minted pea puree, tartar sauce

Granité

Pimm’s Number 1 Cup, with Cucumber, Strawberries and Mint

Main Course

Mini Beef & Guinness Pies, Champ Potatoes and Spiced Red Cabbage

Dessert

Everlasting Lemon Syllabub with Shortbread Fingers, Whipped Wine Infused Cream with Lemon severed with Candied Lemon Twist

14. Indian

Amuse Bouche

Dahl Bhalla (Chickpea and Tomato Croquette) served with tamarind sauce and garnished with yogurt, mint, chill and pomegrante

First Course

Tawa Macchi with spiced Prawns, Marinated Sea Bass with curry and cucumber salad

Granité

Sweet Tangy Mango infused with cumin, mint and chaat masala

Main Course

Lamb Korma, Pilau Rice and Cashews 

Dessert

Trio of Desserts, Rajbhog similar to Gulab Jamun a cheese fritter soaked in honey, Cardamom infused Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream), and Carrot Halvah

15.Anthony’s French Bistro

Amuse Bouche

Soupe aux Truffes (beef consumé with truffles)

First Course

Crottin de Chavignol (goat cheese in puff pastry)

Granité

Vignerons du Beaujolais (wine and cassis)

Main Course

Quenelle of Sole with Lobster Sauce 

Dessert

Millefeuille (Nepoleon)

16. Quebec

Amuse Bouche

Lobster Terrine

First Course

Arctic Char

Granité

?

Main Course

Deer Loin

Dessert

Maple Syrup Cake

17. Mexican(World Cruise)

Amuse Bouche

Smoked tuna tostada

First Course

Grilled Caesar Salad

Granité

Hibiscus, epazote, mint, chili tajin

Main Course

Fish Tacos

Dessert

Ginger spice cake with date ice cream

18.A Taste of Thailand

Amuse Bouche

Royal Leaf Wrap (foie Gras and tamarind)

First Course

Tuna Tartare

Soup

Tom Yum Lobster Bisque

Main Course

Massaman Curry Braised Short Ribs

Dessert

Mango sticky rice spring rolls

18. Indonesian

Amuse Bouche

Shredded vegetables with chili tamarind and pea shoots

First Course

Tuna on lemon grass skewers over lentil salad

Granité

Watermelon, ginger, & lime

Main Course

Beef Rendang (short ribs served in a curry sauce over sweet potato rice)

Dessert

Trio-chocolate chili mousse, coconut creme brûlée, passion fruit ice cream

20.Australia 1

Amuse Bouche

?

First Course

?

Granité

?

Main Course

?

Dessert

?

21.Australia 2

Amuse Bouche

WA Blue Swimmer Crab (crab, avocado, apple)

First Course

Aerated beet root (beet, goat cheese, lardo (fat), rhubarb-cherry vinegar)

Granité

A by Arras (sparkling wine)

Main Course

Wagu Beef Short Ribs

Dessert

White Chocolate Lamington with berries

22. Korean

Amuse Bouche

?

First Course

?

Granité

?

Main Course

?

Dessert

?

23. Japan 

Amuse Bouche

Tataki Three Ways

First Course

Kataïfi Scallops

Soup

Clear Noodle Soup with mussels

Main Course

Beef Tenderloin

Dessert

Passion Fruit Sorbet 

24. Philippines 

Amuse Bouche

Crispy Quail Egg

Appetizer

Tomato & Eggplant Salad

Granite

Calamodin Lime and Mint

Main Course

Seared Tuna

Dessert

Kape At Tinapay

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

IMG_2449.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Luckycruisers said:

We’re on the Star transatlantic starting March 18th. Are the Chef’s table menus available before or  when you board so we can decide which night to aim for? Thanks!

No you won’t know til you board on day 1.  Go check the menus when you board and pick ones you want.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

There’s an electronic board at the CT check-in, also listed on Voyager app once onboard, plus if still doing bookings at entrance to WC(port side).

And the TV in your stateroom, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckycruisers said:

We’re on the Star transatlantic starting March 18th. Are the Chef’s table menus available before or  when you board so we can decide which night to aim for? Thanks!

3 hours ago, HUNKY said:

CCW - Where do you check the Chef's Table menus?

FWIW, the individual menus being offered each day of your cruise are available on the app and tv for the entire cruise BUT they sometimes change. The worse part is that the menus shown don’t include the date for each-only the day of the week.  Perhaps not a problem on a short cruise, but on a longer one it means it takes two of us to figure out what we want to reserve on which day -one looking at the app with a menu, the other at the calendar.