Disembarkation in Amsterdam & Return Flight Time

NukeTim

Has anyone had any experience with disembarkation in Amsterdam and getting a return flight back to US on the same day?  With the recent problems with flights at Schipol airport, we're going in early for our Rotterdam cruise.  On return, we have the HAL transfer to the airport and Flight Ease recommends flights after 11:30am.  Schipol is saying arrive at the airport 4 hours early.  Really in a quandary whether or not to book a return flight on disembarkation day.  Thoughts?

We ended our cruise in Amsterdam two months ago and stayed the night in a hotel near the airport.  Of course, we had to take the time for another Covid test (the rules have changed since then) and we spent time with an old friend who lives there.  Nonetheless, we needed three hours the next morning to go through the airport terminal to reach our gate.  If we had not been premium flight members, it would have been at least four hours. Schipol is a total mess, just as many people have said, for a variety of reasons.

We would never have made a morning flight the same day as disembarkation.

Another lesson learned - I highly recommend taking the HAL transfer bus to the airport like we did.  The taxi line was ridiculously long at the cruise terminal (maybe 150 poor souls waiting in line). We heard from one passenger later that their driver got lost going to the airport, yet charged 70 euros to flounder around the city streets.

33 minutes ago, crzr said:

We ended our cruise in Amsterdam two months ago and stayed the night in a hotel near the airport.  Of course, we had to take the time for another Covid test (the rules have changed since then) and we spent time with an old friend who lives there.  Nonetheless, we needed three hours the next morning to go through the airport terminal to reach our gate.  If we had not been premium flight members, it would have been at least four hours. Schipol is a total mess, just as many people have said, for a variety of reasons.

We would never have made a morning flight the same day as disembarkation.

Another lesson learned - I highly recommend taking the HAL transfer bus to the airport like we did.  The taxi line was ridiculously long at the cruise terminal (maybe 150 poor souls waiting in line). We heard from one passenger later that their driver got lost going to the airport, yet charged 70 euros to flounder around the city streets.

What hotel did you stay at by the airport? We are staying at the Hilton by the airport after our cruise in August before our flight the next day. How did you and your luggage get to your hotel after being dropped off by the airport? 

I was there last month. I stayed at the Hilton Schiphol which is literally attached to the airport.  I left  my room at 7 for a 10:30 flight and it was ok, we had a few minutes to go to the lounge for a quick bite.  I understand it has gotten worse since then.  I would not try to get from the port to get onto a morning flight.  

we hired a driver for the debarkation day and toured the area outside of Amsterdam then arrived at the Hilton at 4:30.   It was the perfect plan. I will do the same when I arrive in Rotterdam next spring. 

Edited by Mary229

Our most recent flight out of Amsterdam was at 3:15 PM.  We did stay a number of days after disembarking, but could have had this flight time on the day of disembarkation. Flight Ease should be able to arrange an afternoon flight for you that would enable you to avoid any issues with the airport delays without the extra expense of staying overnight. Of course, Amsterdam is a lovely city to visit...

We disembarked the Rotterdam and had a 10:55 am flight. We got on line for self disembarkation at 6:15am….first ones….we left the ship around 7:10….was first in a taxi and was at the airport about 7:45. Lines were crazy. We got to our gate at about 10:15…..it was a long walk to Our Delta flight. Part of the problem was you could not get a boarding pass unless you went to an agent because they had to check your covid test results. Since testing is no longer for returning to the US, I would think some of the issues will be resolved but do not know that for a fact. We had sky priority which got us on a shorter security line which helped out. No doubt it was stressful but we had our flights before these delays at Amsterdam started so we had to go with it.

We left Schipol last Tuesday. Tuesday is basically the only day of the week that their app shows as busy instead of peak. We got there 3.5 hours early and had plenty of time. Granted we were in business class which saved us at least 45 minutes checking in. Personally I would not risk it but that is your call. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, occruiselady said:

What hotel did you stay at by the airport? We are staying at the Hilton by the airport after our cruise in August before our flight the next day….

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I was there last month. I stayed at the Hilton Schiphol which is literally attached to the airport.  I left  my room at 7 for a 10:30 flight and it was ok, we had a few minutes to go to the lounge for a quick bite….

I thought the Hilton was quite convenient. We stayed there upon arrival the last time we sailed out of AMS, and when our return flight got canceled, went back as a walk-in and stayed again. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

15 hours ago, NukeTim said:

On return, we have the HAL transfer to the airport and Flight Ease recommends flights after 11:30am.  Schipol is saying arrive at the airport 4 hours early.  Really in a quandary whether or not to book a return flight on disembarkation day.  Thoughts?

Don't book a return flight on disembarkation day. As others have said: Schiphol is a mess at the moment (I live in the Netherlands and hardly a day goes by without News about Schiphol) and nobody will be able to tell you what the situation will be on the day of your departure.

Personally, I would be unable to fully enjoy my cruise if I were in a situation where I had to fly back to the US on the same day as disembarking in Amsterdam. Get yourself peace of mind and book a flight for the next day and stay in the Hilton or the Sheraton. Both are attached to Schiphol and the Sheraton is at only 2 or 3 minutes walking distance from the departure hall, the Hilton perhaps 5 or 6.

• Like 2

We are departing Rotterdam in late August for return to Canada on an early flight that has been booked by Holland America.

We have advantages as we are flying Business Class and my husband needs a wheelchair so will go through lines faster with Airline assisstance.

I also hope that Holland America will be responsible if we miss our flight as they are if we miss embarkation due to late flights

1 hour ago, trtog7 said:

I also hope that Holland America will be responsible if we miss our flight as they are if we miss embarkation due to late flights

They are not responsible if you miss your flight. HAL allows you to pick the flights.  You may need to revisit your plans. Please reread the terms.  What time is your flight?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, occruiselady said:

What hotel did you stay at by the airport? We are staying at the Hilton by the airport after our cruise in August before our flight the next day. How did you and your luggage get to your hotel after being dropped off by the airport? 

Hilton hotel at the airport.

We walked to the hotel with our luggage.   Once we learned how to get there, it was an easy five-minute stroll without traffic.

We disembarked the Rotterdam on May 22nd at 9 AM.  There was no one in the taxi line, so we got a cab with no waiting and went straight to the airport.  Our flight was at 1 PM.  It took about 3 hours for us to get checked in with our luggage, get through passport control and security.  It was a very long walk to our gate.  Once at the gate we had about 20 minutes to spare before they started the boarding procedure.  I would do this again, but would ensure that I disembarked the ship closer to 8 Am instead of 9 AM.

I like that everyone is trying to warn people to not booked flights that are early on disembarkation day. But sadly 90% of the people you are warning booked their flight 9 months ago when this was not a problem, booked tickets that were 1/3 the cost now and it is simply impossible to make changes. So as much as you are trying to warn people it simply is not doing any good unless someone is looking at booking a last minute cruise.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

We have a 2:30 pm flight.  Should this be sufficient time?

If you immediately leave the ship by Uber and go directly you should be ok. Try to be at the airport no later than 11.   3.5 hours should be safe.  After my experience I would go 4 hours next time.  If you are on business class there is a lounge near the gates. 

49 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I like that everyone is trying to warn people to not booked flights that are early on disembarkation day. But sadly 90% of the people you are warning booked their flight 9 months ago when this was not a problem, booked tickets that were 1/3 the cost now and it is simply impossible to make changes. So as much as you are trying to warn people it simply is not doing any good unless someone is looking at booking a last minute cruise.

If they are going to miss their flights it is far better to change now, fees and all, than to wait to the future and try changing it standing in line.  It is hard enough to get in touch with flight ease or an airline, why add that kind of stress to your life.  Pay money now or pay in stress later 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If they are going to miss their flights it is far better to change now, fees and all, than to wait to the future and try changing it standing in line.  It is hard enough to get in touch with flight ease or an airline, why add that kind of stress to your life.  Pay money now or pay in stress later 

Sorry I disagree, I checked on my return flights and to rebook for the next day there is nothing that gets me home unless I want to take 30+ hours the following day and then it would cost me $2600.00 more per person, that is not an option. We are flying Business Class so hopefully that will give us a slight advantage in getting through security which I am being told we do have seperate line for. I am more than aware of the problems but everyone keepspreaching about changing and just sometimes that is not a possible option and one just has to wing it and hope for the best.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Sorry I disagree, I checked on my return flights and to rebook for the next day there is nothing that gets me home unless I want to take 30+ hours the following day and then it would cost me $2600.00 more per person, that is not an option. We are flying Business Class so hopefully that will give us a slight advantage in getting through security which I am being told we do have seperate line for. I am more than aware of the problems but everyone keepspreaching about changing and just sometimes that is not a possible option and one just has to wing it and hope for the best.

I don’t know your timing but be prepared for at least 3 hours. I was business class and yes there is a line but it does not function as you imagine.   There is one person on this thread who is traveling from Rotterdam with a wheelchair.  She never did say the time of her flight, only said early.  I have my doubts.  Once you miss the flight you are at square one

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I don’t know your timing but be prepared for at least 3 hours. I was business class and yes there is a line but it does not function as you imagine.   There is one person on this thread who is traveling from Rotterdam with a wheelchair.  She never did say the time of her flight, only said early.  I have my doubts.  Once you miss the flight you are at square one

adding:  I guess if you have really good travel insurance you can not worry