Upgrading OLife Air to Business Class?

FolsomMike

Unfortunately, from here UA only connects through Denver, generally not in the direction I'm going. For the most part I'm stuck with AA or Delta. Only an hour flight to ATL or DFW. I'm pretty good on getting free stuff. Can't remember the last time I've paid for a hotel room. 

And Mike, or should I rename you EDH Mike,

if you book enough excursions to qualify for the YWYW discount, you can get 25% off even the more expensive excursions. All your Free tours count toward meeting your minimum number so life is good!  
Mauibabes

On 6/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, FolsomMike said:

Just booked the cruise with a $1200. Discount p.p. off the OLife rate and booked $1500. worth of ‘free’ shore excursions. Good deal. 

As I understand it your use of the term Olife air is confusing to the discussion. Oceania lets you choose whether you want cruise only, cruise with Olife no air, cruise with air and not Olife and cruise with both Olife and air. So air has zero to do with Olife.

• Like 2

Just now, edgee said:

As I understand it your use of the term Olife air is confusing to the discussion. Oceania lets you choose whether you want cruise only, cruise with Olife no air, cruise with air and not Olife and cruise with both Olife and air. So air has zero to do with Olife. If i am wrong about this, someone please clarify.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:35 PM, FolsomMike said:

Just booked the cruise with a $1200. Discount p.p. off the OLife rate and booked $1500. worth of ‘free’ shore excursions. Good deal. 

Ok I am confused...  you said you booked direct with O.in another post.    Are you saying the O sales guy offered you a $1200 pp discount off the  regular fare?    And.... in adddition you got $1500 more in free shore ex.      ALL from and O agent???      That amigo is a first I have ever heard     O giving huge discounts off its fares, far above what agents can  do        thats $3900 discount  !!!!

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ok I am confused...  you said you booked direct with O.in another post.    Are you saying the O sales guy offered you a $1200 pp discount off the  regular fare?    And.... in adddition you got $1500 more in free shore ex.      ALL from and O agent???      That amigo is a first I have ever heard     O giving huge discounts off its fares, far above what agents can  do        thats $3900 discount  !!!!

Incomplete info. All sorts of ways to explain that (e.g., booking $199 tours for O Life pretty much doubles 4 excursions each).

$1200 pp price drop could be price drop 30 days pre-Cruise sale and/or in combo with 10% off O Club sale..   ETC ETC ETC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Ok, I guess I’m not familiar with precise O terminology…I booked OLife without air (which I did not see in their brochures) and was given $1200. off the full OLife fare p.p. I then chose the excursions offer which ‘saved’ $1500. for the two us (ok, $750. Each). I hope that clears everything up. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

Ok, I guess I’m not familiar with precise O terminology…I booked OLife without air (which I did not see in their brochures) and was given $1200. off the full OLife fare p.p. I then chose the excursions offer which ‘saved’ $1500. for the two us (ok, $750. Each). I hope that clears everything up. 🙂 

If you do not use the included air  then they give you  a discount  in your case $1200 pp

The amount will vary by  cruise

They do not tell you  that if you do not use the air you get a lower price 😉

Another one of O's little insider secrets 😄

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

If you do not use the included air  then they give you  a discount  in your case $1200 pp

The amount will vary by  cruise

They do not tell you  that if you do not use the air you get a lower price 😉

Another one of O's little insider secrets 😄

Enjoy the cruise

FWIW:

it’s pretty clear when you check the O website and are given a choice of air/no air on page two and a price drop appears if you pick the latter. O Life page one minus o life w/o air page two equals the air credit.

1 hour ago, FolsomMike said:

Just to be clear: you actually got nothing more than what anyone else would get from O. Hopefully, you used a good TA who then paid your gratuities and/or shared commissions.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW:

it’s pretty clear when you check the O website and are given a choice of air/no air on page two and a price drop appears if you pick the latter. O Life page one minus o life w/o air page two equals the air credit.

Oh Dear

I am so dumb

I just  email my TA & tell her what I want   I never log in to the O site to do a booking 🙄

Thanks for enlightening me

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Oh Dear

I am so dumb

I just  email my TA & tell her what I want   I never log in to the O site to do a booking 🙄

Thanks for enlightening me

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Not remembering that OP didn’t use a TA (and thus relied solely on O is an easy mistake. At least, now s/he knows how to figure the air credit on the website if the next cruise is also DIY.

• Haha 1

Just posted this on a different thread but it is worth repeating……..

Guys, I own an AI company and I can tell you with 100% certainty that airlines track your flight searches on their websites as well as third party websites.  The algorithms will up the prices the more you look.  If you disappear for a while they may lower them again but no guarantee.  My son left my nuclear AI company to make piles of cash writing pesky consumer algorithms including those most pesky travel algorithms.

ALWAYS SEARCH IN PRIVATE MODE ON SAFARI OR INCOGNITO MODE ON GOOGLE.  (I know caps is being loud but it will save a ton of money so I am being loud about it)

Search a few third party websites (privately) and if they have lower fares than the airline website, choose the link directly to the airline to buy the tickets on the airline’s site.  

It used to be that the airlines tracked their own traffic only but no more, now they all coordinate and share info.

Also, another United flier here.  Customer service is the number one reason.  That and I lived most of my life in the frigid weather near their Ohare hub before finally moving south.  Plus they have the best FF program in the business.  I never pay for flights and always fly business simply from using my United Chase cards.  If I go to the store and even buy a loaf of bread, it goes on my card.  It all adds up to free flights quickly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Guys, I own an AI company and I can tell you with 100% certainty that airlines track your flight searches on their websites as well as third party websites.  The algorithms will up the prices the more you look.  If you disappear for a while they may lower them again but no guarantee.  My son left my nuclear AI company to make piles of cash writing pesky consumer algorithms including those most pesky travel algorithms.

ALWAYS SEARCH IN PRIVATE MODE ON SAFARI OR INCOGNITO MODE ON GOOGLE.  (I know caps is being loud but it will save a ton of money so I am being loud about it)

Search a few third party websites (privately) and if they have lower fares than the airline website, choose the link directly to the airline to buy the tickets on the airline’s site.  

It used to be that the airlines tracked their own traffic only but no more, now they all coordinate and share info.

Also, another United flier here.  Customer service is the number one reason.  That and I lived most of my life in the frigid weather near their Ohare hub before finally moving south.  Plus they have the best FF program in the business.  I never pay for flights and always fly business simply from using my United Chase cards.  If I go to the store and even buy a loaf of bread, it goes on my card.  It all adds up to free flights quickly.

Would using DuckDuckGo work the same?

Yep, that’s my preferred browser, unless they are extending to bing for searches as they use a Microsoft platform for web services.  Google incognito is a little less than ok.  Apple privacy is pretty good.  I always say, Google is in the business of selling your data, Apple is in the business of selling hardware, Microsoft is in the business of selling software and cloud services.  Steer clear of anything Google.  Don’t even get me started on social media, anyone who uses it is nuts.  Cruise critic is the only even quasi social media I use as it is incredibly informative and saves research time but even then, I run a VPN when I use it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

SFO as a major Pacific hub for United and their customer service et al. (Including their VISA card) are primary reasons they get most of our business.

Using ITA Matrix for the initial search and UA web for refinement (even knowing about the algorithms), I still usually book over the phone based on UA phone rep search (which can uncover partner connection sale prices) and my friendly request to waive the booking fee.

Ok, I do appreciate the folks who actually gave helpful advice but, please…enough with the condescending remarks about using a travel agent. I’ve been cruising for decades and (for my own reasons), I prefer to handle the details myself. Interestingly, I’ve never received so many snarky comments on any of the several other cruise line message boards I’ve used on C.C. over the years. I’m hoping it’s just a coincidence. Again, thanks to those folks who were actually helpful. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

Ok, I do appreciate the folks who actually gave helpful advice but, please…enough with the condescending remarks about using a travel agent. I’ve

sometimes  best to use the "Ignore" feature on CC 🤠

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Ok, I do appreciate the folks who actually gave helpful advice but, please…enough with the condescending remarks about using a travel agent. I’ve been cruising for decades and (for my own reasons), I prefer to handle the details myself. Interestingly, I’ve never received so many snarky comments on any of the several other cruise line message boards I’ve used on C.C. over the years. I’m hoping it’s just a coincidence. Again, thanks to those folks who were actually helpful. 

I have a great travel agent. Over 25 cruises. Never booked on my own. She always points something out I would have missed

On 6/29/2022 at 7:58 PM, the more ports the better said:

I asked you this on the other thread and you didn’t answer. Still waiting.

Are you implying that if two people go , at the same time, to United’s official website and search a route, those two people can/will be offered different fares based upon their inquiry history of those routes?

• Like 1

Sorry Pinot, I’ve been visiting my grandson.  But yes, it will give different fares based on your search and purchase history.  I have searched fares and they have gone up the more I searched.  I split time between FL and IN.  Once I was flying north for a few days and looked at the fare a few times on the United app while I was in Disney waiting in line.  When I finished the activity I went to purchase the ticket and it was about $75 higher.  I grabbed my daughters phone and purchased it on her app for the original price.  It’s pretty typical.

Also, when purchasing tickets for flying overseas, I set my vpn to a country where the currency is weak and purchase from that location.  As long as it’s an English speaking country there are no issues.  I typically save quite a bit that way.  I’ll purchase on UA being redirected through a third party or directly on their website but the fares on their site are typically the highest.

When I use the United app logged into my account, that is where I see the highest prices.  I travel for business and fly business class and their algorithms know it!  Once I purchase, I just add the reservation to my account on the app and use it as normal with boarding passes and such.

But, the short answer is yes, they track your search activity and your past purchases and price tickets accordingly.

I hope this helps….

4 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

...the short answer is yes, they track your search activity and your past purchases and price tickets accordingly.

This is one of the reasons why I use ITA Matrix for a basic idea of flight options then call United (most often on a phone other than the one associated with my FF account) when ready to buy and ask for cheapest bizclass tix (starting with non-stops) as multi-city, OW and/or RT (depending on cruise/land plans). BTW: easy to get the $25 phone fee waived. 
Other United caveats:  If using their search engine, setting it for an entire day without selecting a time span will never give you all the flights. You need to do a time span search (don’t choose “United only” to see all Star Alliance flights) within that span. AND you also need to look at the difference between multi-city and one-way fares (this can be very surprising!). Yet another reason to call and often save $ thousands on intercontinental bizclass (no exaggeration).

I agree Flatbush.  Sometimes, I can purchase a flight to Frankfort, London or Munich then purchase my connection separately on Lufthansa, SAS…… to the final destination for a lot less than purchasing a one stop flight all on United even using the same flights.  The only hassle is that you have to recheck your bags at the transit center.  I’m UA 1k so the $25 fee is never an issue but even if it was, the savings is worth it.  My big issue with calling is that the hold times can be ridiculous even on the 1k line.  I’ll try your ITA Matrix.  I’ve never used it but it seems helpful.