How to arrange a burial at sea with Celebrity?

mystori

Can anyone advise me on the best point of contact to arrange a burial at sea during an upcoming Celebrity cruise?  I’m aware of the protocols for releasing ashes at sea (e.g., biodegradable urn), but I can’t seem to find a point of contact to make the arrangements in advance of our Celebrity cruise. RCCL’s website has a FAQ and a contact email/phone, but it’s not clear if that contact information applies to Celebrity cruises as well.  Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance anyone can provide.

What is Royal Caribbean’s Burial at Sea policy?

Per company policy, we allow the tossing of a biodegradable urn containing ash while at sea.

Ashes must be in an approved scattering or biodegradable urn and the entire urn must be tossed. A certificate proving the urn is biodegradable may also be required. Guest will need to provide the death certificate and cremation certificate. Upon boarding, contact the Front Desk to set up a time and place for this request.

All requests must be submitted to the following:

Email: gfotravelservices@rccl.com 

Phone: 1-800-256-6649 (Prompt #1 twice)

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We scattered ashes in April.  Contact ship services with a written request.  They will provide you an approval letter.  You need all the items Jim-Iian mentioned as well as the approval letter.  When you board, contact guest relations.  They (special events coordinator) will collect all your paperwork and provide it to the ship’s environmental officer for approval.  They will tell you the day and time for your burial.  The environmental officer will be present.  I always thought we would be on a low aft deck.  Everything was arranged on deck 5, the Promenade deck forward.  Celebrity provided a very thoughtful set up complete with flowers and white rose petals to scatter.  The next day we received a certificate with the lat long of the burial location. We were thankful we could fulfill our parents final wishes.

A3F98431-C64D-40BA-AFFB-65D289C25A37.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

We scattered ashes in April.  Contact ship services with a written request.  They will provide you an approval letter.  You need all the items Jim-Iian mentioned as well as the approval letter.  When you board, contact guest relations.  They (special events coordinator) will collect all your paperwork and provide it to the ship’s environmental officer for approval.  They will tell you the day and time for your burial.  The environmental officer will be present.  I always thought we would be on a low aft deck.  Everything was arranged on deck 5, the Promenade deck forward.  Celebrity provided a very thoughtful set up complete with flowers and white rose petals to scatter.  The next day we received a certificate with the lat long of the burial location. We were thankful we could fulfill our parents final wishes.

Nice of you to do this.  When you say scatter ashes do you mean literally open the urn and scatter ashes into the water?  Or do you mean drop the urn into the water?

We took my father on one last cruise in September on the edge - appropriate as it was the same ship he sailed last on. All was as Jim stated. In addition, we met with the concier5on board who arranged everything.  They asked if we wanted a private burial or if we wanted an officer (beyond the environmental officer) to attend. I thought my dad would get a kick out of having an officer just for him, and said so. We were blown away when the captain himself attended. He read a poem and gave us a lovely portfolio with lat/long. It really was lovely and my father would have loved it. 

On a side note, they did comment that the boat had to slow to a certain speed and the wind had to be just right, so timing was really all based around that.

PXL_20210930_231422851.jpg

• Like 16

8 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Perhaps you missed the info in post 4:   THE ENTIRE URN MUST BE TOSSED

“We SCATTERED ashes?”  OP did not say “we dropped an urn into the ocean”.  Hence the question?  I suppose people are used to that language on land.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OtherFigment said:

We took my father on one last cruise in September on the edge - appropriate as it was the same ship he sailed last on. All was as Jim stated. In addition, we met with the concier5on board who arranged everything.  They asked if we wanted a private burial or if we wanted an officer (beyond the environmental officer) to attend. I thought my dad would get a kick out of having an officer just for him, and said so. We were blown away when the captain himself attended. He read a poem and gave us a lovely portfolio with lat/long. It really was lovely and my father would have loved it. 

On a side note, they did comment that the boat had to slow to a certain speed and the wind had to be just right, so timing was really all based around that.

What a beautiful ceremony. Certainly beats anything on land. Glad your day had a worthwhile sendoff into the great adventure!

12 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

As the OP, thanks for all the responses so far. To 81Zoomie, when you said to contact ship services, what contact did you use?  A week ago, I sent a written request to the email to the address listed on the RCCL FAQ (gfotravelservices@rccl.com ), but I wasn't sure if that was the correct address given that I'm trying to coordinate a burial at sea on a Celebrity cruise ship.  I know RCCL is the parent company for Celebrity, but I wasn't sure the correct point of contact.  Who did you work with?  Thanks

I had called the CC number and was told to email  emergencytravelteam@celebritycruises.com. i did get an email back after a couple weeks indicating it was possible. I had a follow up question that I never heard back on though, so definitely not the best communication.

That sounds like a wonderful service and procedure for burial at sea.

May I add a note about a story we were told several years ago by fellow cruisers who decided, on their own, to scatter mom's ashes at sea, which was at mom's request beforehand, from their cruise ship.  Of course they followed no rules and didn't seek permission.  So, they had a balcony, they opened the urn and scattered the ashes--naturally they thought they'd drop to the ocean.  No, indeed.  They blew against the side of the ship and never made it to the ocean.  Can you imagine--mom's ashes on the side of the ship.

So, we can see that it's important to get permission, use the urn and properly bury at sea.  I think that's how I want to be buried at sea--from a ship in an urn.

13 minutes ago, mystori said:

As the OP, thanks for all the responses so far. To 81Zoomie, when you said to contact ship services, what contact did you use?  A week ago, I sent a written request to the email to the address listed on the RCCL FAQ (gfotravelservices@rccl.com ), but I wasn't sure if that was the correct address given that I'm trying to coordinate a burial at sea on a Celebrity cruise ship.  I know RCCL is the parent company for Celebrity, but I wasn't sure the correct point of contact.  Who did you work with?  Thanks

My brother handled the correspondence.  The original request was pre CV.  We were delayed for 2+ years.  The original request went to an address provided by the Captains Club.  

As stated above, you toss the entire e envelope/urn.  It requires a pretty strong push to get clear of the ship.

air_sea_cci_web@celebritycruises.com 

13 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Sounds like Celebrity helped make this a very special and respectful service for you.   I'm sure you appreciated it and the memories will stay with you.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OtherFigment said:

You really have me choked up seeing how the Captain and his staff were there to support you and see your father off. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You really have me choked up seeing how the Captain and his staff were there to support you and see your father off. 

It was incredibly moving. Walking up and seeing all the stripes - dad would have absolutely giggled over it.

• Like 2

So over 20 years ago I decided to scatter some of my mother's ashes on a cruise. Last night at sea I had them in a ziploc baggie and went on the back deck and let em go. So about 2 tablespoons worth of loose ashes flying thru the air in the dark.

Yeah....it was very windy and some of them blew back. 1st and last time I did that.

Thanks for all this info. I already knew some of this but not all..so helpful for my mid October T/A on the Sillie. I'm taking my DH Kenneth along for his final cruise. He was in the USS Navy and also was a Docent on board the USS Midway for 10 years and this is what we had always talked about for him. His Celebration of Life was on board the Midway and the ocean will be his final resting place. We loved cruising so this will just be perfect.  Just an FYI re the urn...the initial one I picked was made of salt and VERY heavy...18 lbs for the urn alone. Fortunately one of the staff at the mortuary knew I would be flying with the ashes and suggested one made of cardboard. It has a lovely scene of the sea with a seagull. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, Jim_Iain said:

What is Royal Caribbean’s Burial at Sea policy?

Per company policy, we allow the tossing of a biodegradable urn containing ash while at sea.

Ashes must be in an approved scattering or biodegradable urn and the entire urn must be tossed. A certificate proving the urn is biodegradable may also be required. Guest will need to provide the death certificate and cremation certificate. Upon boarding, contact the Front Desk to set up a time and place for this request.

All requests must be submitted to the following:

Email: gfotravelservices@rccl.com 

Phone: 1-800-256-6649 (Prompt #1 twice)

Anyone know how long it takes for the group to respond?  I sent an email to the above address a week ago.  Also called Royal and the said the email was emergencytravelteam@rcck.com and sent it there as well with all the details, death cert, etc and haven't heard back.  Also, the telephone number doesn't work if you press 1 it wants a five digit extension number or it hangs up.

Thanks in advance.  I lost my husband in March and would really like to do this for closure. 

16 hours ago, Queenie&Dude said:

Anyone know how long it takes for the group to respond?  I sent an email to the above address a week ago.  Also called Royal and the said the email was emergencytravelteam@rcck.com and sent it there as well with all the details, death cert, etc and haven't heard back.  Also, the telephone number doesn't work if you press 1 it wants a five digit extension number or it hangs up.

Thanks in advance.  I lost my husband in March and would really like to do this for closure. 

Dont know if it was a typo in your post or not, but instead of rcck.com it's most likely rccl.com.

Otherwise sorry for your loss and hopefully someone will reply.

17 hours ago, Queenie&Dude said:

It took a couple weeks before I heard back. You may also want to try emailing emergencytravelteam@celebritycruises.com. that's who the captains club directed me to. So sorry for your loss.

I want to thank the OP and others for this information. I used the email address posted here just this morning and have already received the approval letter. I’ll need to go to guest services to arrange a day and time for the ceremony upon boarding. Thank you again!

• Like 4