Skagway Rockslide at the pier!

WxNerd

19 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

My geologist husband suspects that nothing can be done until the active sliding ceases.  There is that section closer to the community at the top of the Railroad dock forward which experienced a major slide several years ago.  The repair was the vertical insertion of large metal beams into the rock surface with heavy steel mesh netting

When I was there is 2019, I remember seeing that steel mesh netting.  

For those on ships that are docking at RRA, tendering to the Small Boat Harbor is a benefit.  It's a long walk from the aft part of that dock towards town.  

• Like 1

Perhaps a benefit only if you are not a full-time wheelchair user and sailing Princess--then you are not allowed to tender. Very disappointing as well as frustrating to see everyone else getting off the ship (and still having to pay port charges)

Edited by montgomeryfamily
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, rkacruiser said:

……..

For those on ships that are docking at RRA, tendering to the Small Boat Harbor is a benefit.  It's a long walk from the aft part of that dock towards town.  

The ramp from the small boat harbor floating dock to land was quite steep.  We are in excellent shape but some overweight and out of shape folks were huffing and puffing.  I would not describe the walk from the RRA docking position into Skagway as being long.  Given the flatness of the terrain some of the folks last week would have preferred to dock versus struggling up that ramp.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

The ramp from the small boat harbor floating dock to land was quite steep.  We are in excellent shape but some overweight and out of shape folks were huffing and puffing.  I would not describe the walk from the RRA docking position into Skagway as being long.  Given the flatness of the terrain some of the folks last week would have preferred to dock versus struggling up that ramp.

2019, the Westerdam was docked at the RR forward position.  No issue on getting off the ships and boarding the tour buses waiting for us.  Returning, the buses were not allowed on the pier.  (And, why is that?  Oh, silly me.  There is a gift shop or two one has to pass before getting on the ship.)  The walk where I was left off the bus, which was before the Small Boat Harbor, to get to the gangway was quite enough of a walk for me!  To get to whatever ship was docked to our stern, that would have been quite a walk!    (Of course, your experience may have been different than mine.)  

On 7/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, Travel some more said:

Sometimes the tide is really low, which makes going up the ramp even more steep. I hope they can get the dock fixed soon!

The tide was low when we were there last week and that was quite the climb for some folks.  Walking from the ship would have been much easier for some than that ramp.  And for those who don't care to walk there are free shuttles (think enlarged golf carts) which run continuously from the ship gangway to the port entrance.

The tendering issue caused an issue for passengers with shore excursions.  For example, for those with WP&YRR shore excursions Celebrity asked them to gather really early in the Solstice theater to ensure that they would make their train.  While the tender ride is very short it will be a relief to the cruise lines when the rock slide with be dealt with and the ships can return to docking.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, Suzanne123 said:

Just FYI.  Skagway dock schedule 

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.189/2xl.54d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SKG-Skagway-2022.pdf

RRF: Railroad Dock Forward
RRA: Railroad Dock Aft
BRD: Broadway Dock
ORE: Ore Terminal Dock
AMH: Alaska Marine Highway Dock

I'm sailing on Ovation in August which is listed as RRA. that's over 4000 people to tender, with priority surely being to their own customers. Probably not advisable to book any private excursions now, huh?

We were on the Majestic last week. NoSkagway, but the Steve Kroschel  wildlife preserve was outstanding! We saw a bear, wolverine, wolves, snowy owl, caribou, baby moose, porcupine, lynx, and a mink. Hit the Fogcutters bar in Haines to hang with the locals and the hammer museum. Lots to if you can’t be in Skagway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

We were on the Majestic last week. NoSkagway, but the Steve Kroschel  wildlife preserve was outstanding! We saw a bear, wolverine, wolves, snowy owl, caribou, baby moose, porcupine, lynx, and a mink. Hit the Fogcutters bar in Haines to hang with the locals and the hammer museum. Lots to if you can’t be in Skagway.

When did you find out you were skipping Skagway?  We are on the Majestic is two weeks.  We have two excursions planned.  One through Princess and one through an outside company.  I just want to make sure we have time to cancel the outside excursion if need be.

6 minutes ago, wblotner66 said:

We’re on Majestic starting on this Saturday the 9th . Any updates on whether we will dock at Skagway?

Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (secureservercdn.net)

Re-Check your schedule itinerary - don't find Majestic Saturday July 9th -

However there are only two ships scheduled for that date -

There are two available docks not affected by the rockslide -

And there has been tendering activity from one of the (rockslide) Railroad dock 

It looks to me that Majestic starts on the 9th and is in Skagway on the 12th with several others. Now listed at RRF which could be affected but I don't know that for sure. Maybe call Skagway port. 

sightcrr

The captain informed us the day before as we went to Glacier Bay. I immediately called Chilkoot tours to cancel and she was grateful to know which ship wasn’t coming in. Then called the Steve Kroschel wildlife preserve and they told me to book through Princess.

We will be in Skagway next month on the Majestic Princess and she us scheduled to use the RRF dock.

In looking at today's scheduled ships in Skagway, Royal Princess is scheduled to use the RRF dock.

image.jpeg.bc51fe54ea181a39cbc4fcc3f3866ac7.jpeg

Per Cruise mapper and Royal Princess' live web cam feed, the ship is in Skagway now but It looks to be a bit away from the dock so could it be tendering?

Really hoping not have to cancel Skagway.

image.jpeg.01574d257b4e791bfb9f7b50a4a6b71d.jpeg

So I am scheduled on Carnival Spirit to be in Skagway on July 17th. There are only 2 ships listed in port that day, the other being Silver Muse. Spirit is scheduled at RRF and Silver Muse at RRA. Might they possibly move us to the other ORE and BRD berths?

Sometimes the size of ship for the depth of the water is a determining factor as to where they can moor the ship so just because there is an empty pier doesn't mean they can put you there. Short tender rides may be required. 

sightcrr. 

4 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

I believe the port can take 3 of 4 ships. We were scheduled for the the berth with the rock slide, so no go. If less than 4 ships are scheduled, should not be a problem.

We were at Skagway on 6/29/22 with 4 ships.  Royal Princess was on the damaged dock and being tendered.