Quantum Alaska Positive After Getting Home

Lol, ugh!!! 

We were on Quantum last week in Alaska having an amazing vacation away from the kids and chaos . I was the one with the mask on, getting hand sanitizer at most of the stations and vac boosted and all. Saturday night I felt a weird feeling in my throat. Then on Sunday in Victoria I felt what I thought was a head cold. We had amazing weather, but from cold to hot cold to hot my sinuses usually wreak havoc. Flew home Monday and it still felt like a summer head cold. Tuesday morning joking with the wife I said just to be 100% sure I am going to take a pcr test. OMG 😳 it was positive. Took another just to be sure. I’m shocked. Then watching rc blogs video on YouTube EF681875-36DD-4911-AF75-287FDC41D267.thumb.jpeg.3d59fef72407d614c37456c0e677633b.jpegwhere he too had the same symptoms and results and reading all of the comments in his video, it’s the real deal. Not sure where it came from, on land in Alaska or the ship, who knows. Just be careful. Well heck not sure that works either. I guess just know if something feels weird don’t pawn it off as it could be just a head cold. 

On a positive note, this was cruise 14 or 15 for us, 2nd time to Alaska and had such an amazing time. D10389D0-45F7-4B2D-8747-AE6865A473DF.thumb.jpeg.66b8e08346fd0d54636737ce0a098552.jpeg5EC0DE5B-3748-42FF-8516-2F4C4FE83A46.thumb.jpeg.a8fb8614a50c64009685f24523f6e4ff.jpeg8AD640A6-DF8E-4846-8AE1-DFE30A5BB297.thumb.jpeg.76cc748861146d0c677bfa8d8e7ef95b.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Our 1 genie was positve on our trip 2 weeks ago, I also believe notconfirmed our other genie also had positive.  My son was positive the following Tuesday.  Not bad symptoms but still positive.  IMHO they sold to a much higher capacity making venues crowded and very close contact all over the ship, than my previous 7 since covid restart.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear you caught the covid! My husband got covid on a cruise in October, and then gave it to me. He then caught the flu on a May cruise which later became "flurona" We just know now that its on the ships and we have accepted it. It won't stop us from cruising.

Vaxxed and double boosted so we no longer worry. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Our 1 genie was positve on our trip 2 weeks ago, I also believe notconfirmed our other genie also had positive.  My son was positive the following Tuesday.  Not bad symptoms but still positive.  IMHO they sold to a much higher capacity making venues crowded and very close contact all over the ship, than my previous 7 since covid restart.

Two genies?  Interesting.  How did that tipping situation play out?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

... and the airline, airports, etc., etc., etc.

Yes I am going to contact everyone. Bad thing about it, there was lots of coughing on the plane ride home. Funny I wasn’t one of them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

I hope your son feels better soon and no one else gets it.  I tested positive on Quantum in May and ended up quarantining in Seattle.  My DH was negative and flew home due to work commitments.  He ended up positive five days after he got home.  Many on our sailing tested positive after the cruise and did not test on the ship so they could fly home.  I was too sick and ended up having to go to medical. 

The ship is sailing full capacity and the crew is really overwhelmed because so many are in quarantine.  I saw many crew down in medical that were testing positive as they were in chairs in the corridors in medical as the rooms were full.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChadC880 said:

Lol, ugh!!! 

We were on Quantum last week in Alaska having an amazing vacation away from the kids and chaos . I was the one with the mask on, getting hand sanitizer at most of the stations and vac boosted and all. Saturday night I felt a weird feeling in my throat. Then on Sunday in Victoria I felt what I thought was a head cold. We had amazing weather, but from cold to hot cold to hot my sinuses usually wreak havoc. Flew home Monday and it still felt like a summer head cold. Tuesday morning joking with the wife I said just to be 100% sure I am going to take a pcr test. OMG 😳 it was positive. Took another just to be sure. I’m shocked. Then watching rc blogs video on YouTube EF681875-36DD-4911-AF75-287FDC41D267.thumb.jpeg.3d59fef72407d614c37456c0e677633b.jpegwhere he too had the same symptoms and results and reading all of the comments in his video, it’s the real deal. Not sure where it came from, on land in Alaska or the ship, who knows. Just be careful. Well heck not sure that works either. I guess just know if something feels weird don’t pawn it off as it could be just a head cold. 

On a positive note, this was cruise 14 or 15 for us, 2nd time to Alaska and had such an amazing time. D10389D0-45F7-4B2D-8747-AE6865A473DF.thumb.jpeg.66b8e08346fd0d54636737ce0a098552.jpeg5EC0DE5B-3748-42FF-8516-2F4C4FE83A46.thumb.jpeg.a8fb8614a50c64009685f24523f6e4ff.jpeg8AD640A6-DF8E-4846-8AE1-DFE30A5BB297.thumb.jpeg.76cc748861146d0c677bfa8d8e7ef95b.jpeg

Yep. We were with you. My husband has evaded the dread COVID roberts for two years while traveling the world…and he got it on vacation. 

Hope you feel better soon! 

Kinda the same story.  Our party of six were on Quantum May 23-30.  All have been

fully vaccinated and boosted.  On Saturday (2 days before debarking) we took a whale-watching

excursion. It was a cool day and windy...Sunday I was coughing and congested; really thought

it was my sinus issues or allergies.

Fast forward to Tuesday, my BIL and my husband had "the cough", BIL took an at-home

covid test..came back positive. So, the remaining five took a test..three more came back

positive.  All our symptoms were cold-like. Only my husband had a little trouble breathing.

I really don't think it was ship related.  Could have been the crowded airports, on-shore,

a bus, a store, our transportation....anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wearing regular mask may not be enough. My wife and I got off an Alaska cruse last Sunday. DW began feeling unwell starting this Tuesday. Sore throat, slight cough, stuffy nose. She used the blue regular mask during the cruise. I wore mostly N95 every time I stepped outside my cabin. So far, I remain negative and have zero COVID symptom. Stick with N95 mask.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is what I don't understand why Royal (CDC) is still requiring everyone  to pre-test. It doesn't help and is a HUGE pain in the rump. 

All kids 6 months and up SHOULD be required to vaccinate now. ( to cruise)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, newcruzer2 said:

This is what I don't understand why Royal (CDC) is still requiring everyone  to pre-test. It doesn't help and is a HUGE pain in the rump. 

I hope you’re not thinking that the vaccinated can’t catch or pass on the virus. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newcruzer2 said:

The same people getting covid are also vaccinated. That doesn't hep either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Wearing regular mask may not be enough. My wife and I got off an Alaska cruse last Sunday. DW began feeling unwell starting this Tuesday. Sore throat, slight cough, stuffy nose. She used the blue regular mask during the cruise. I wore mostly N95 every time I stepped outside my cabin. So far, I remain negative and have zero COVID symptom. Stick with N95 mask.

I did wear the blue mask and my wife had bought some n95 but I didn’t like them. Lesson learned for sure. 

2 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I don’t know the answer or comment to this. I just wish there was a way to have a healthy cruise. We are in our mid 40’s and have been on a bunch of cruises. I got the norovirus from a kid sick on the pool deck many many cruises ago and man did that kick my butt. Ever since then I have always been a  germaholic since. That’s what started the washy wash saying. 

3 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

Have you been reading this thread?  All of the vax and double boosted while wearing N95 masks all cruise long stories.  Then they still get Covid.   What exactly is vaccination of kids going to do?  These people aren’t getting this in the kids club.  You do realize the current variants run right past prior infection and vaccine protection?  Vaccinating everyone isn’t going to stop the spread of the current dominant strains.  Royal isn’t going to require little kids to be vaccinated any time soon so it doesn’t matter.  

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Regular surgical masks do little if there isn’t a tight seal which is hard to get with those.  Some of the brands of surgical masks do filter about a level of 90 or higher (relative to N95).  There was a cool you tube channel that tested actual filtration on lots of brands.  However, doesn’t matter what the mask is, if it isn’t a tight seal, you are breathing in unfiltered air.  Most people leave or have gaps in their masks.  It makes them much more comfortable to wear.  It also renders the now more comfortable mask mostly ineffective.  Masks can help if they are worn tightly and are of high filtration (ex KN95).  But few if any would wear them for any duration in a way that makes them as effective as they hope them to be.  The main problem with masks is operator error.  It is understandable enough.  It is really hard to wear them in a way that maximizes their effectiveness and way too easy to resort to wearing them in a way that makes them nearly useless.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

Have you been reading this thread?  All of the vax and double boosted while wearing N95 masks all cruise long stories.  Then they still get Covid.   What exactly is vaccination of kids going to do?  These people aren’t getting this in the kids club.  You do realize the current variants run right past prior infection and vaccine protection?  Vaccinating everyone isn’t going to stop the spread of the current dominant strains.  Royal isn’t going to require little kids to be vaccinated any time soon so it doesn’t matter.  

Yes Thank you I have been reading this thread, hence the WHY pre-test Everyone.  EVERYONE  is catching it  anyway

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

Yes Thank you I have been reading this thread, hence the WHY pre-test Everyone.  EVERYONE  is catching it  anyway

Ok. So then why require vax for kids?   I don’t get the logic.   As if that is going to change anything?   All of this would be happening if the ships were 100% vaccinated quadruple boosted.  I don’t like all the tests either, but at least that keeps people with Covid from getting on the ships and spreading it more.  Seems to me that testing is the only defense mechanism.  It has it’s obvious limitations and downsides, but at least it does work to some degree.  There is zero doubt that keeping Covid positive people from boarding the ship will reduce Covid spread.  Of course, some will always slip through the cracks.   

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1