Anyone missed their cruise lately because of flight cancellations?l

sdnich

Pre-retirement I felt like I was spending half of my life on airplanes just getting to jobs, post retirement and pre-pandemic it was a of flying for cruises etc.  The two things I learned in all of those miles and hours, one, stuff happens and two, always have a plan B and maybe C and D as well.  I get that a lot of working people don't have the luxury of flying in a day or two ahead but I always found a way to make it work.  I am much happier sitting and waiting when I know I have a buffer.  

I have a question that’s probably best asked on the Cruise Air forum, but while we are talking flights. I know most airlines have an automatic update or tweaking of their schedules either 60 or 90 days out. Does anyone know which it is, or is it airline dependent? I wonder, also, given all the cancellations and chaos if the6 will forgo the automatic changes.

in the past (as in 6 months ago), our flights would frequently change by a few minutes or change flight numbers. Only once about 4 years ago we got a post-cruise flight moved so much that we were concerned about making the flight and had to actually change it.

We've always flown in a day before the cruise, but for our trip from FLL later this month, we've been debating whether that is enough. But frankly, I don't think just flying an extra day early may help: stories I hear about cancellations are that you are unlikely to be re-booked the next day. So instead, we made a one-way refundable reservation on a different airline for the next day. Best case, the first flight goes and we refund the second flight. Plan B, we get a refund on the canceled flight and take the other flight the next day. If there's a two-day disruption....

As it happens, we had booked a separate return, which is one reason Plan B works here. I'm a big fan of booking separate returns when possible; every now and then, the extra flexibility comes in handy.

20 minutes ago, klflote said:

As it happens, we had booked a separate return, which is one reason Plan B works here. I'm a big fan of booking separate returns when possible; every now and then, the extra flexibility comes in handy.

We have started to do that routinely now.  Never any cheaper to book R/T domestically and sure makes it easier when you decide that you need to make a change for whatever reason... and there seem to be quite a few reasons these days... lol

On 6/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, bh6605 said:

Does it help if you booked flights through the celebrity website? Currently we're booked to fly direct from PHL to SEA arriving noon one day prior to cruise embarkation.

Really wouldn't matter.   When a flight is cancelled there are a limited numbers of flights and seats available.   FBC will work to get you there but can't guarantee it nor will they necessarily pay the difference if you use a different airline to complete your journey.

Normally to fill open seats each airline has a specific wait list pecking order based on Price paid and Frequent Flyer status. 

Several years ago, we always flew in the day of the cruise due to work and school for DD. We booked a rare February cruise that worked with DD school, but it was Super Bowl in Miami and hotel prices were outrageous, so we planned on flying early am. Two days before, a Nor’easter was predicted and we were able to change our flights to the evening before. The problem was hotels were booked and we ended up sharing a room with our friends who travel with us. He snored…loudly. That was it… we now alway go a day before and currently plan 2 days before due to airline issues. 

Well, not so far, because so far we haven't had a fly cruise (all been from Southampton, we're in the UK).  But now I am really worried that we're about to.

I think (whether we get there or not) I have made a terrible mistake, and will learn from it. We are flying on the day on Monday to Rome (from Manchester via Frankfurt, with Lufthansa). At the time of booking I thought we might be being smart.  TA assured us yes, booked with Celebrity and so they get you there. OH was with me when I booked, and didn't stop me either 🙂  And we thought being smart avoiding budget airlines.  And do have a decent transfer window in Frankfurt. And (some) time spare if delayed into Rome.

Of course, when we booked, there were not the issues there are now.  We do at least have early morning and morning flights so that might reduce the risk of cancellation/delay. But we can't change the flights now (and booking new ones would be crazy expensive, and perhaps not with Celebrity), so the flights now are what they are.

Will certainly learn the lesson and fly out a day or two early in future.  Hopefully we will get there (many flights are happening as usual) but I have caused myself unnecessary stress.

1 hour ago, talljules1 said:

Well, not so far, because so far we haven't had a fly cruise (all been from Southampton, we're in the UK).  But now I am really worried that we're about to.

I think (whether we get there or not) I have made a terrible mistake, and will learn from it. We are flying on the day on Monday to Rome (from Manchester via Frankfurt, with Lufthansa). At the time of booking I thought we might be being smart.  TA assured us yes, booked with Celebrity and so they get you there. OH was with me when I booked, and didn't stop me either 🙂  And we thought being smart avoiding budget airlines.  And do have a decent transfer window in Frankfurt. And (some) time spare if delayed into Rome.

Of course, when we booked, there were not the issues there are now.  We do at least have early morning and morning flights so that might reduce the risk of cancellation/delay. But we can't change the flights now (and booking new ones would be crazy expensive, and perhaps not with Celebrity), so the flights now are what they are.

Will certainly learn the lesson and fly out a day or two early in future.  Hopefully we will get there (many flights are happening as usual) but I have caused myself unnecessary stress.

Fingers and toes crossed for you…

• Like 1

I am flying to Rome Aug 5 for Aug 8 cruise, when I booked last year Air Canada gave me a couple of hours to connect in Toronto. Spent 2 hours on the phone on Saturday to request a new flight, my reasoning was the time now to connect is no good and I've been watching the flight status recently for the time they gave me - all but 1 have been cancelled.  So now they officially cancelled the 6am flight for the day I asked for the 9am flight I'll sit at Pearson airport until my 8pm flight and just work from there (one reason I had a later flight was work, I was going straight from work to the airport) - I want to give myself enough of a buffer between flights - next challenge is going to be luggage lol