New Evaluation Procedure

jeriram

I just got off the Sirena and had a wonderful cruise.  The one change from my last cruise with Oceania was the evaluation form is now filled out online while you are on the cruise.  I really didn't like taking my time while I was on vacation to fill it out, so I didn't.  I would rather be off enjoying myself than filling forms.  What does everyone else think?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is important for the crew. I always fill in my form and mention by name those crew members who went above and beyond. People are quick to complain but not so quick to praise! besides, if there are any issues they can potentially be resolved whilst onboard.

• Like 4

Oceania started doing it this way back in 2019. Internet was so slow and problematic that most of us couldn’t complete the forms. I just took the drill as meaning Oceania didn’t really care much of what we thought.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania started doing it this way back in 2019. Internet was so slow and problematic that most of us couldn’t complete the forms. I just took the drill as meaning Oceania didn’t really care much of what we thought.

I agree!  On my last two Oceania cruises, November, 2019 and February 2022, it was impossible to use the online forms.  It would not allow me to fill in information at all.  After several tries at different times I gave up.  It would be nice if Oceania would send us the evaluation form after the cruise, like Azamara and Princess.  Then we would have more time to provide our responses.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Mid-cruise survey is still the sheet of paper that you return to the box near the guest services desk.

I have usually gotten a quick direct response from manager level cruise staff regarding any concern I have expressed on the mid cruise survey. This has included "Miami makes me do it." response from over announcing cruise director Dottie, to an offer of a "do over" from specialty restaurant where we had a service issue...so sometimes helpful and sometimes not, but at least a response which indicates they do read and respond to mid cruise survey. End of cruise survey...who knows????

• Like 6

On our last cruise, we experienced the online survey for the first time.  DH didn’t even bother.  After 2 failed attempts on my iPad, I went to guest services.  They gave me an iPad and set it up for me.  Halfway through, the screen went blank.  I was so frustrated that I refused the offer to set it up again.  Three strikes and it’s out!  I sent an email with comments once I got home.  With so many of us experiencing difficulties, or simply not bothering, I wonder if O will consider returning to paper and pencil.  I don’t think it’s a matter of not caring.  I think it’s a bottom line issue.  People using technology is cheaper than continually paying for printed paper surveys that end up in trash post cruise.

• Like 2

In theory the online survey is a good idea, in practice it is frustrating.  There just isn’t enough bandwidth the last day for everyone to fill it out and submit it successfully. Personally I wish the survey referenced a server onboard rather than relying on the limited satellite bandwidth….or just allow us to do it when we get home.  

As for the mid cruise comment cards, they do read them.  I noted something silly in their, and they followed up with me!

The mid cruises are definitely read and the staff sees your comments from that one and the online. Nautica was having an awful time with their internet system in April and it kept going down. Even the staff was locked out.  Too many bugs in the system.  It started to improve slightly towards the end of May.

we were on 4 segments so I know the end of the cruise online comments were read as I had feedback from crew and officers.  I was not in a suite or concierge  Cabin, so I know all comments were read

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, no fuss travel said:

The mid cruises are definitely read and the staff sees your comments from that one and the online. Nautica was having an awful time with their internet system in April and it kept going down. Even the staff was locked out.  Too many bugs in the system.  It started to improve slightly towards the end of May.

we were on 4 segments so I know the end of the cruise online comments were read as I had feedback from crew and officers.  I was not in a suite or concierge  Cabin, so I know all comments were read

This is precisely why I did not want to fill the survey out while still onboard.....as I was uncomfortable thinking that anyone that I complained about would know about it!  Silly I know.....but it also takes too much time although I did manage to finally do it.....just was not quite as "honest" as I would have been if I had been able to complete it after returning home.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

... I was uncomfortable thinking that anyone that I complained about would know about it!  Silly I know.....

Not so silly at all. If it's a process issue that leads to a negative comment, I leave the name of the person off of my survey comments (changes in training or policy could help). If it's an important issue where I want to name someone, I prefer to bring it up with management during the cruise. Anything in between you could always send a note to Miami naming the person - a note that is separate from/after the survey.

It's also an issue (or was in November 2021) to fill out 2 different surveys on a single device - we ended up getting a second login assigned (no charge, a whopping 30 hours or so of use lol) to make the survey process work

• 3 weeks later...

On May 6 Sirena cruise, O held a session for completing the evaluation form online.  I was so burned out from doing online (app) stuff for the various countries we were visiting that I never filled it out.  I know they're trying to cut down on paper (not cut down trees?) but I felt bad that I wasn't able to do the evaluation. It's the first time I missed doing it.  

On 7/8/2022 at 12:23 AM, chloemonkey said:

This is precisely why I did not want to fill the survey out while still onboard.....as I was uncomfortable thinking that anyone that I complained about would know about it!  

Really? You should not complain unless you are willing to say it directly to anyone involved in the issue. Stating it part way through on a comment card should never matter. You are giving them a chance to explain or improve.  Unless of course your negative comments are not valid or defensible.

22 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Really? You should not complain unless you are willing to say it directly to anyone involved in the issue. Stating it part way through on a comment card should never matter. You are giving them a chance to explain or improve.  Unless of course your negative comments are not valid or defensible.

That's an interesting perspective.  Personally, my work life involves a lot of telling people that they aren't meeting expectations directly, and I really would like a break from life on my vacation.  It is somebody else's problem to deal with at that point, not that they aren't valid comments.  (With that said, I have not had negative comments to leave on our trips.)

I'm not talking about these issues BUT on an earlier cruise I posted something at Cruise Critic on the message aboard about a problem we had encountered.  I don't recall specifically what it was about, but the result was that the staff asked me to meet with them to discuss the issue.  This MAY have been when Noro was on board ... but I had a pleasant discussion with two staff members and had no fear that they were going to throw me overboard ...

So just be aware that staff DOES monitor what you say at CC when you are on a cruise ...

This isn't necessarily bad!!

Mura

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mura said:

I'm not talking about these issues BUT on an earlier cruise I posted something at Cruise Critic on the message aboard about a problem we had encountered.  I don't recall specifically what it was about, but the result was that the staff asked me to meet with them to discuss the issue.  This MAY have been when Noro was on board ... but I had a pleasant discussion with two staff members and had no fear that they were going to throw me overboard ...

So just be aware that staff DOES monitor what you say at CC when you are on a cruise ...

This isn't necessarily bad!!

Mura

As this is an anonymous board with pseudonyms, exactly how did they identify you from a post you made?  And, if I understand you correctly, they do so on a second cruise you took complaining about something on the first cruise?  

Probably because I use my real name here and I was on board at the time.

To answer your question:  no.  The problem we encountered was while we were on board the ship.  I doubt they'd have followed up if I were complaining about a problem from a previous cruise.  They certainly couldn't call me in for a personal meeting in that case!

5 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

As this is an anonymous board with pseudonyms, exactly how did they identify you from a post you made?  And, if I understand you correctly, they do so on a second cruise you took complaining about something on the first cruise?  

There was a thread not long ago about staff monitoring CC

not sure if true or not   but I did make a comment on one cruise about a problem & got  a letter/call from the GM

Now DH did mention a problem to the GM a few day prior  so maybe that is why

DH had made a comment  on the scones  in the mid cruise comment card  we got a call for a meeting with the Exec Chef   so they do read the comment cards  😉

On 7/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

On May 6 Sirena cruise, O held a session for completing the evaluation form online.  I was so burned out from doing online (app) stuff for the various countries we were visiting that I never filled it out.  I know they're trying to cut down on paper (not cut down trees?) but I felt bad that I wasn't able to do the evaluation. It's the first time I missed doing it.  

We were also on that cruise. The online form worked fine on my iPhone. Spouse didn’t. I liked it. Oceania certainly liked not trying to read my handwriting!

• 5 months later...

I slightly bristle at Oceania wanting me to take precious time near the end of my cruise to do the evaluation. It's an imposition. Moreover, even if I had done the evaluation, it would have been before our final evening and last morning so I would not have been able to tell management what a crappy dinner we had in Tuscan Grille on our last night and how disembarkation was much worse than we've experienced on any other cruise line. (Still can't figure out why disembarking 600 passengers took longer than cruises we've been on with 3,000 passengers.) Prior to these glitches, we had mostly good things to convey about our cruise and would have been happy to do so via an online survey after the cruise. 

• Like 1