Travel Agent Question

Rsrcruise

I’m a Gary Bembridge fan, and he often mentions that it can be helpful to book with a travel agent.  I’m not asking for a recommendation for specific travel agents, because I understand that’s not allowed on the board. I am so new to travel, my question is broader!  How do you find a travel agent that you can trust?  (apart from cold calling random people you find on Google? ).  What process did you use?  How do you make a decision, particularly with respect to getting the best cruise value?  What kinds of things can a travel agent help with? Also do you use a travel agent specialized in cruising for cruises and other travel agents for other travel needs?  All I’ve got is Google at the moment so I’d like some ideas about how people eventually found an agent they liked.  Also would appreciate it if there’s any considerations if you’re traveling with a family/small children.  Thanks in advance and sorry for the broad question! 

1 hour ago, Rsrcruise said:

I’m a Gary Bembridge fan, and he often mentions that it can be helpful to book with a travel agent.  I’m not asking for a recommendation for specific travel agents, because I understand that’s not allowed on the board. I am so new to travel, my question is broader!  How do you find a travel agent that you can trust?  (apart from cold calling random people you find on Google? ).  What process did you use?  How do you make a decision, particularly with respect to getting the best cruise value?  What kinds of things can a travel agent help with? Also do you use a travel agent specialized in cruising for cruises and other travel agents for other travel needs?  All I’ve got is Google at the moment so I’d like some ideas about how people eventually found an agent they liked.  Also would appreciate it if there’s any considerations if you’re traveling with a family/small children.  Thanks in advance and sorry for the broad question! 

Perhaps the following Cruise Critic articles will help:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line

What to Look For in a Travel Agent In The COVID-19 Era

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer

Family Cabins on a Cruise: What to Expect

Family Cruise Tips

And to help you protect your 'investment': Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers

Please note the latest updates on the articles. Some are 'oldies but goodies' for sure!

• Like 2

Trial and error was my approach.  Never found one that I would recommend to others.  So became my own agent.   Have not used an agent for 10+ years for any travel related product.   

I lost confidence in agents who booked flights 6 months in advance of a cruise which I later could not change flights.  TA was making money on the tickets by block bookings; this was years ago.

Lost confidence when buying travel insurance had an agent lie to me saying the increased costs was due to Obama care, I knew that was not true.

Had TAs book flights getting seats for only the outgoing flight, I had to get seat assignments for the return later.

Had agents book hotels thru groups and the quality sucked.

Had agents tell me they were giving me perks that I would normally get from the cruise line without the agent.

Had an agent book an international flight with as an non refundable ticket without telling us.    When we needed to make a change mid trip had to buy a whole new ticket.  Change would have been at significant cost, luckily an airline ticket agent suggested a charter flight for a quarter of the cost we could book to solve this problem.  

When the internet made travel info readily available, booking everything myself was a lot easier and then I knew what I had in advance.  No unpleasant surprised later.  

I read here that many feel they have great agents.  I just have not found one - guess I do not know how to that well.   I have talked to friends who use agents, they are happy because they don't want to do the work for themselves.    When they want to make changes they need to send the agent a message, wait for response and action.   While they are waiting I can take action myself.   Unless you have complicated travel, I think it is easy to do on your own.  

Good luck finding one.   Maybe others will give you some good suggestions.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rsrcruise said:

Sadly- there are some really bad Travel Agencies and Agents. And even when you find one, they may not be around forever.

That said, you may want to do a search here on CC. I have (on several occasions) posted detailed instructions on how best to find a good TA who specializes in cruising.

One thing for sure: It usually takes time and effort! But, it can be rewarding both in level of service/problem solving and added perks like commission sharing.

• Like 1

I use the travel agent my parents used and have always been happy with her.  The original agent retired and my agent who had been working there took over.  I have found them especially helpful for more complicated travel.  For our cruise out of Copenhagen she found us a hotel in a perfect location.  When one of our cruises was canceled (bird flu) and replaced with another she handled all our arrangements.  Now that we are not cruising she has been helping with our arrangements for a land vacation to Universal.  She always comes up with great packages for the parks.

• Like 1

When you do take your first cruise, participate in the Roll Call here on cruise critic (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/20-roll-calls/) and sign up for the Meet and Mingle usually held on the first sea day with your fellow Roll Call members.  Attend and pick their brains for recommendations; most of us like to share our knowledge and experiences. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rsrcruise said:

I can comment on a couple of your queries.  I've booked all our travel for years and years.  Through an online travel forum I participated in, I got to know a TA in South Carolina and she offered to book a cruise for us.  She's a 'cruise expert' TA.  I had gotten to know her fairly well and knew that she was savvy and very detail oriented.  It would be almost impossible for me to 'give my trip' to a TA unless they were 'nearly perfect'! The deal she put together for us on Holland America to Alaska was phenomenal.  She has now booked what seems like hundreds of cruises (most of them cancelled during the virus hysteria) and she functions flawlessly.  I would never book with a cruise line agent or an online booking service. 

I do all my own research and figure out all the details, so all she really does is book the cruise.  But she adds great value with her expertise and experience with so many cruise lines.  She knows our priorities ... no cabins under or over any public areas, aft-facing balcony, smaller ships ... that kind of thing.  In order to determine which cruise we want, I often make up a spreadsheet with all the attributes of the cruises we are considering.  It's really helpful and the best choice usually pops right up.

Up until then, the only advice I had been given on finding a TA was "ask your friends and family" ... totally useless.  There is a professional association (maybe more than one) called ASTA which might be a good source of a good TA.   I wish I had a magic wand for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pris993 said:

Trial and error was my approach.  Never found one that I would recommend to others.  So became my own agent.   Have not used an agent for 10+ years for any travel related product.   

I lost confidence in agents who booked flights 6 months in advance of a cruise which I later could not change flights.  TA was making money on the tickets by block bookings; this was years ago.

Lost confidence when buying travel insurance had an agent lie to me saying the increased costs was due to Obama care, I knew that was not true.

Had TAs book flights getting seats for only the outgoing flight, I had to get seat assignments for the return later.

Had agents book hotels thru groups and the quality sucked.

Had agents tell me they were giving me perks that I would normally get from the cruise line without the agent.

Had an agent book an international flight with as an non refundable ticket without telling us.    When we needed to make a change mid trip had to buy a whole new ticket.  Change would have been at significant cost, luckily an airline ticket agent suggested a charter flight for a quarter of the cost we could book to solve this problem.  

When the internet made travel info readily available, booking everything myself was a lot easier and then I knew what I had in advance.  No unpleasant surprised later.  

I read here that many feel they have great agents.  I just have not found one - guess I do not know how to that well.   I have talked to friends who use agents, they are happy because they don't want to do the work for themselves.    When they want to make changes they need to send the agent a message, wait for response and action.   While they are waiting I can take action myself.   Unless you have complicated travel, I think it is easy to do on your own.  

Good luck finding one.   Maybe others will give you some good suggestions.  

I agree about using a TA for other kinds of travel beyond cruises.  I had a good one 30 years ago, but she ran off with a Frenchman and I was never able to replace her.  I went through exactly the kinds of garbage you experienced. It was so bad that I wondered if people who failed at everything else became travel agents.   I'll always book my cruises through my TA, and I'll always book everything else myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I booked my own cruises for years because I never trusted anyone to do it for me.  

Then I met my wonderful travel agent on a cruise.  He never pressured me to go with his agency and we were actually friends about a year before I started using him.

I have his cell phone number and can always reach him by phone, text, email or private message anytime I need him.  During the restart he was invaluable to me handling all my FCC applications.

It’s hard to find a good one…..but so great if you do!

• Like 2

Just be sure to use a credit card to pay for for any cruise, airline, or hotel. Then be sure to verify that your credit card statement shows the charges were made by the applicable cruiseline, airline or hotel — not the TA or travel agency!  If not, dispute the credit card transaction immediately and then get another agent!  There have been past cases where agent and/or agency goes bankrupt before trip and travelers loses all their prepaid money and don't get their trips!

• Like 3

Wow, this thread is so very useful, and I’m so grateful for everybody’s thoughtful comments! This is such an awesome community, and I’m so glad to have found it! I have some homework to do, but I think it’ll be well worth it. Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

The advice above is excellent. I would stress the importance of using an agent who specializes in cruises. I put more faith in an agent who insists on doing the booking on the telephone, as opposed to me filling out forms online. A good agent should be asking you questions to help choose the correct destination, line and ship, as well as dining preferences, and other on-board things. If the agent doesn't strongly recommend that you buy travel insurance, use someone else.

• Like 1

I find Gary’s videos to be very entertaining. But you gotta be careful with his advice (or anybody’s advice for that matter.) Gary just did a video on Alaska where he bragged about his travel agent for being so smart and “finding” him a train that goes from Anchorage to Whittier. 30 seconds of Google time will find you dozens of articles on how to make the trip. Every one of them mentioning the train. There’s only a couple ways to make the journey. Also, keep in mind Gary spends a ton of money on luxury cruises. Because commissions are higher, TA’s have a lot more they can do for you when booking expensive cruises or suites.

When it comes to run of the mill cruises, an individual who like to research and plan can do everything a TA can. And by booking everything direct, you’ll never have a problem when you want to change something and the cruise line says “we can’t talk to you, you have to talk to your TA.

Keep in mind you are on a forum where most of us not only can research and plan, that’s part of the fun. Where a TA really helps us when you don’t want to have to deal with all the minutia - you just want to tell somebody that you want to take a cruise in October, have them ask you a few questions and get to work for you.  

Edited by wcook
  • Like 1