HARMONY SAILING JUNE 19 - JUNE 26, COVID GOT SOME OF US

On 6/28/2022 at 9:13 PM, UNCFanatik said:

Imagine that… some caught Covid on a cruise ship.. what a rare occurrence 

And my hubs caught it on land...just this May...what a rare occurrence also! Glad for the vaccines.  Where you are is irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Honest question, does everyone not go out to eat or around crowds on land for the last 2 years? 

Honest answer: We eat out at least 3 nights a week.  We were eating out the day before the restaurants were shutdown, and we were the first in-house customers at our favorite Mexican restaurant when it reopened.  And during the lockdowns, we were in Home Depot, Costo, Walmart and every other "essential service" store several times a week.  

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Honest answer: We eat out at least 3 nights a week.  We were eating out the day before the restaurants were shutdown, and we were the first in-house customers at our favorite Mexican restaurant when it reopened.  And during the lockdowns, we were in Home Depot, Costo, Walmart and every other "essential service" store several times a week.  

I always wonder as many are worried about the crowds on a ship and the dining rooms. We never really stopped seeing friends and family (maybe 2 months and hubby was an essential) and we started being around big crowds when they lifted the mandates and masks in May of 2021. 

Just now, hazeleyes46 said:

I always wonder as many are worried about the crowds on a ship and the dining rooms. We never really stopped seeing friends and family (maybe 2 months and hubby was an essential) and we started being around big crowds when they lifted the mandates and masks in May of 2021. 

Same here.  We tried to live as "normally" as possible.  I have been WFH since 2016, and my wife was WFH 2 days a week, and then went fully WFH during the lockdown (and has stayed that ways since).  I got COVID in Nov. 2020.  I caught it the Wednesday before Thanksgiving from the lady who cleans our house.  We had invited her to join us and other family for Thanksgiving the next day, but she called with regrets the next morning as she was not feeling well.  She called Friday to say she tested positive.  She got it from the client she cleaned for the day before ours.  I had a head cold for a week but never ran a fever.  None of the others who came over got it - not even my wife and kid who live with me!  

5 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Same here.  We tried to live as "normally" as possible.  I have been WFH since 2016, and my wife was WFH 2 days a week, and then went fully WFH during the lockdown (and has stayed that ways since).  I got COVID in Nov. 2020.  I caught it the Wednesday before Thanksgiving from the lady who cleans our house.  We had invited her to join us and other family for Thanksgiving the next day, but she called with regrets the next morning as she was not feeling well.  She called Friday to say she tested positive.  She got it from the client she cleaned for the day before ours.  I had a head cold for a week but never ran a fever.  None of the others who came over got it - not even my wife and kid who live with me!  

Ugghh that stinks. I WFH for a year and half and doing 3 days in office and 2 days at home now and love it. Knock on wood none of us have ever had it too. Me included who was unvaccinated up until last month (to go cruising).

Just now, hazeleyes46 said:

Ugghh that stinks. I WFH for a year and half and doing 3 days in office and 2 days at home now and love it. Knock on wood none of us have ever had it too. Me included who was unvaccinated up until last month (to go cruising).

I got vaccinated as soon as I could (early 2021) and took the J&J since my doc told me the mRNA vaccines were causing people with COVID antibodies a lot of adverse reactions.  It was fine, and then I got a J&J booster in the fall of 2021.  I travel a bit and we are not shy about going to concerts and events, and we've had no issues.  If any of us have had Omicron, it has been so mild as to not even bother us - like allergies.  

15 hours ago, rudeney said:

I got vaccinated as soon as I could (early 2021) and took the J&J since my doc told me the mRNA vaccines were causing people with COVID antibodies a lot of adverse reactions.  It was fine, and then I got a J&J booster in the fall of 2021.  I travel a bit and we are not shy about going to concerts and events, and we've had no issues.  If any of us have had Omicron, it has been so mild as to not even bother us - like allergies.  

I would have never gotten it if I didn't want to cruise. I was tested for work for months so knew I didn't have it. 

21 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Honest question, does everyone not go out to eat or around crowds on land for the last 2 years? 

honest answer: nope. We have worked from home since the pandemic started. I go out shopping about twice a week, always wearing a mask.

We got vaxxed as soon as our age was eligible. It took some time to convince my parents to get vaccinated, because they thought themselves immune forever after having original covid in May 2020. I got through to them because by that time it was clear that the immunity didn't last forever. 

DS went to school online for a year and in person last year, masks were required through mid-November of 2021, but he wore his until the school ended in May. We got lots of exposure notifications that bus riders were positive but DS didn't ride a bus.

DS has participated in outdoor sports, but not ones with super close contact.

We only got take out or ate outside on the patio.

Never in a crowd. We ventured out on a cruise last November, many wore masks unless actively eating or outside, and planes were fully masked. We didn't get covid that time and we felt safe - so, I booked the May cruise. Turns out, it was completely different from Nov cruise, and we got covid. Now my DH doesn't really want to go on Nov 2022 cruise because he thinks we'll get it again and it wasn't light enough for the two of us to just brush it off like some posters did.

My BFF went to a conference in Vegas last summer - thousands of people in a theater/arena setting, no masks, lots of audience hyping activities, singing and dancing. Many participants got covid and some died. BFF and her entire family had covid shortly before the conference so she was relatively safe (they vaccinated after getting covid).

2021 covid deaths of two of my (unrelated to each other) cousins who lived their lives like covid was just a cold only reinforced my efforts to protect myself and my family.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

honest answer: nope. We have worked from home since the pandemic started. I go out shopping about twice a week, always wearing a mask.

We got vaxxed as soon as our age was eligible. It took some time to convince my parents to get vaccinated, because they thought themselves immune forever after having original covid in May 2020. I got through to them because by that time it was clear that the immunity didn't last forever. 

DS went to school online for a year and in person last year, masks were required through mid-November of 2021, but he wore his until the school ended in May. We got lots of exposure notifications that bus riders were positive but DS didn't ride a bus.

Never in a crowd. We ventured out on a cruise last November, many wore masks unless actively eating or outside, and planes were fully masked. We didn't get covid that time and we felt safe - so, I booked the May cruise. Turns out, it was completely different from Nov cruise, and we got covid. Now my DH doesn't really want to go on Nov 2022 cruise because he thinks we'll get it again and it wasn't light enough for the two of us to just brush it off like some posters did.

My BFF went to a conference in Vegas last summer - thousands of people in a theater/arena setting, no masks, lots of audience hyping activities, singing and dancing. Many participants got covid and some died. BFF and her entire family had covid shortly before the conference so she was relatively safe (they vaccinated after getting covid).

2021 covid deaths of two of my (unrelated to each other) cousins who lived their lives like covid was just a cold only reinforced my efforts to protect myself and my family.

Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, LizEsq said:

I’m sailing on the Harmony on 7/24. Any recommendations regarding safer options to grab some food (I.e. avoiding self-serve buffets where passengers are all touching the serving utensils and possibly the food itself)? Is the MDR the best option in your opinion?

COVID spreads more through proximity to breath (tiny droplets) of infectious person rather than surfaces.

As far as you sanitize your own hands before you eat, siting away from others preferably in open area is more helpful than packed enclosed MDR.

Small rooms events are riskier than open deck events obviously.

Elevators are one of the high risk area.

This post is in direct response to your question. Not interested in butting head with "covid is gone", "there is no higher risk on ships", "it is just a flu" crowd. They are entitled to have their own risk/reward analysis and reasoning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Thank you for your very useful input.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:40 PM, Tlbecker1 said:

I am sure that my DH also had COVID in May.  We were on 3 cruises and he tested a total of 6 times and all negative.  He still doesn’t have his sense of taste back. Hmmmm

Yea....strange. Either the tests are always correct or something else going on.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, Junkhouse said:

Been on Paxlovid since Tuesday with only symptom remaining is lethargy. 

When I had Covid without treatment I too was extremely lethargic. It is a common side effect  of Covid, but I haven't looked to see if it is side effect of Paxlovid. It took me about a week to get over it. 

On 7/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, hazeleyes46 said:

We continued to go out to church, work, restaurants.  Only time we didn't go somewhere was when things were completely shut down.   DH and both our sons and our DIL all went into work.  Some jobs can't be done from home.  As Fed contractors, DH and both DS couldn't work from home as a lot of their work is not allowed to be taken home nor can they access their computer network.   DDIL is a nurse. Other DDIL doesn't work.   Only one DS and one DDIL caught Covid and that was just this past April  after my son traveled to CA for work.  We eat out on Sat and Sun every weekend unless we have plans with family.  We saw my parents twice in 2020 (in their early 80's) before we all got vaccinated.  We just kept our distance while visiting.  We went right back to church when it opened back up as soon as the state allowed it.  We do not live our lives in fear.  We're on EN on Friday and will not wear masks or avoid people.  We lost no family members or friends.  Only the brother of a friend of my BIL.   

Edited by BND

On 7/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, BND said:

We continued to go out to church, work, restaurants.  Only time we didn't go somewhere was when things were completely shut down.   DH and both our sons and our DIL all went into work.  Some jobs can't be done from home.  As Fed contractors, DH and both DS couldn't work from home as a lot of their work is not allowed to be taken home nor can they access their computer network.   DDIL is a nurse. Other DDIL doesn't work.   Only one DS and one DDIL caught Covid and that was just this past April  after my son traveled to CA for work.  We eat out on Sat and Sun every weekend unless we have plans with family.  We saw my parents twice in 2020 (in their early 80's) before we all got vaccinated.  We just kept our distance while visiting.  We went right back to church when it opened back up as soon as the state allowed it.  We do not live our lives in fear.  We're on EN on Friday and will not wear masks or avoid people.  We lost no family members or friends.  Only the brother of a friend of my BIL.   

Thanks 🙂