Why Cunard

swjumbo

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I am very glad I have sailed with Cunard. If I hadn't, this sort of comment would have put me off for good.

exlondoner, there have been  comments on this board over the years which would have made me think twice about trying Cunard for the first time.  I joined CC after my first Cunard cruise so didn't come across any of them before hand which was lucky as I know, as do you, some of the more high hat thoughts displayed occasionally on one or two issues, don't actually exist onboard ship.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

How true… Only ‘Trade’ make offers to sell

Trade and proud off it, but at least I understand meaning of "irrespective of the price" .  

Of course being trade  and thinking that price or "ow mooch" is important part of the decision,  doesn't mean one can't speak English. Nor that one is not very well educated . Just that one wouldn't dream of having a pretence of superiority, simply because of the cruise line one choses .

• Like 1

In answer to the topic heading of "Why Cunard"; To date we have chosen cruises primarily for the destination. Alaska; considered various and chose Princess (pre Carnival). Panama Transit; a too good to be true deal came up on P&O Arcadia. Transatlantic Crossing on an ocean liner, I don't recall there being a choice!

Ideally I would avoid P&O in future as the food offering was far too British for our taste, but wouldn't rule them out completely.

We may return to Alaska in future and the QE itineraries offered in recent years would suit us.

If I really felt like prising myself away from home to travel on a ship for the sake of it, the only candidate would be Queen Mary 2 in Britannia Club, round trip. Avoiding any exposure to Midtown Manhattan where we are just now. Or as I like to call it: Blackpool on steroids!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I suppose the real answer to why Cunard is that we first went because we wanted a TA, returning by Concorde, which meant Cunard. And we had a very nice time indeed, food, cabin, mainly lovely staff, quiet, elegant ship. And because of that and because they conveniently sail from Southampton, we are so boring and unadventurous that we've stuck with them.

That is something which none of us will ever be able to experience and can only dream of how exciting it must have been.

7 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

That is something which none of us will ever be able to experience and can only dream of how exciting it must have been.

I know we are straying a little off topic, but it was particuarly exciting because the Concorde landed back at Bournemouth (Hurn), where we live, and it was amazing to look down as we approached and see thousands of people who had come out to see the plane. Anyway, not really off topic, because all thanks to Cunard.

28 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

We were on a British Airways Concorde yesterday.

At the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.

It didn't move very far and we had to listen to a young aviation geek rythme off all the things we already knew about her. But it's the nearest we'll get to the experience.

• 7 months later...

Massive apologies for re-opening this interesting and drawn-out/much debated topic but I am pretty new to these boards and enjoying soaking up some good information from the regulars. 

I’d like answer “Why Cunard” with an American point of view. Cunard is British and for the most part has held their standards to stay British. Some of our British cousins may lament that the currency is US$ and the line owned by Carnival, but I enjoy seeing British words for food (courgette, aubergine), being offered traditional British foods we can’t find here, especially British meat products served, and the seeing addition of the “u” to “or” words in communications… Favourite etc…

I feel like I’m really going away while in a Cunard ship (haven’t been on QV yet) because the British atmosphere onboard plays a big role in my enjoyment. 
This is my highly subjective take on Why Cunard. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Massive apologies for re-opening this interesting and drawn-out/much debated topic but I am pretty new to these boards and enjoying soaking up some good information from the regulars. 

I’d like answer “Why Cunard” with an American point of view. Cunard is British and for the most part has held their standards to stay British. Some of our British cousins may lament that the currency is US$ and the line owned by Carnival, but I enjoy seeing British words for food (courgette, aubergine), being offered traditional British foods we can’t find here, especially British meat products served, and the seeing addition of the “u” to “or” words in communications… Favourite etc…

I feel like I’m really going away while in a Cunard ship (haven’t been on QV yet) because the British atmosphere onboard plays a big role in my enjoyment. 
This is my highly subjective take on Why Cunard. 

Interesting. I think Cunard is really transatlantic, because I see all the US bits, like the dollars, and the tuxedoes, and terms like broiled and transportation.

An interesting and somewhat illuminating thread!  I chuckled a little about the discussion on fares  :  our first cruise with P&O was several years ago and we had paid what I thought was a really good price (still do if I'm honest) but we'd barely set foot on the ship when a very strange woman rushed up to us, asked us how much we had  paid and before I could even think of a polite reply, she told us what she'd paid - it was over £100 pp less than what we'd paid!!!  

But why Cunard?  Simple really  - we enjoy every aspect of every sailing, from the formal nights, the guest speakers, entertainment, food, etc etc.  We've sailed on other lines, on the mega ships and have also enjoyed them, but with Cunard there is that almost tangible something extra that draws us back time and time again.

BTW, we once followed up a crossing with a short cruise on the NCL Breakaway and when I asked for info on the ship (on CC forum) some people were absolutely horrified that as senior citizens who sail Cunard we would be on a 'fun' ship and some even went as far enough as to suggest that we changed to a smaller and quieter NCL ship!!!  Needless to say, we didn't and actually had a great time.  DH was particularly taken by a young lady who came into the MDR one night wearing the shortest pair of shorts we've ever seen!!     Now that would never happen on a Cunard ship.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Interesting. I think Cunard is really transatlantic, because I see all the US bits, like the dollars, and the tuxedoes, and terms like broiled and transportation.

And how about being exposed to different terms for the best part of your meal: pudding, afters, or just plain dessert?

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And how about being exposed to different terms for the best part of your meal: pudding, afters, or just plain dessert?

Better still, is the diverse understanding, interpretation and consideration of the statement “polite orderly queue” 😉

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which consideration makes dining at a shared table on a Cunarder generally more enjoyable than on ships of Carnival’s other brands.

No idea what consideration is found on a shared table now?  
Migrated away from this concept many years ago.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Better still, is the diverse understanding, interpretation and consideration of the statement “polite orderly queue” 😉

For a full insight, perhaps you should have tried the main Post Office in Rome about 50 years ago. Probably completely changed now.