Carnival Television Survey

Lee Cruiser

So I just received a survey from Carnival about in-room television entertainment.  It asked questions about what you watched at home and what services you subscribe to.  It also asked detailed questions about Carnival's TV offerings.  Not positive, but it appears that they are looking at maybe going to a more "a la carte" paid TV service.  Did anyone else receive this survey?

• Like 2

Received it and just completed it. I welcome their interest in potential upgrading of TV programming.  When they went to streaming TV and only had CBS news it has become too limiting. 

Additionally I just finished 31 days in Europe on the Pride and there was ZERO, literally no daily updates on TV from the Cruise Director. The ship was very poor in communicating basic information. Why the CD chose to eliminate daily recorded updates on the TV shows a lack of concern for their passengers. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Received it and just completed it. I welcome their interest in potential upgrading of TV programming.  When they went to streaming TV and only had CBS news it has become too limiting. 

Additionally I just finished 31 days in Europe on the Pride and there was ZERO, literally no daily updates on TV from the Cruise Director. The ship was very poor in communicating basic information. Why the CD chose to eliminate daily recorded updates on the TV shows a lack of concern for their passengers. 

That seems like two different complaints. On the second complaint, did you ask the cruise director about it?

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Additionally, the CBS news they do offer is an abbreviated streaming service, not a full-length news broadcast. 

I also received and completed the survey, and indicated I spent almost no time watching their offerings, since they were of no interest. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That seems like two different complaints. On the second complaint, did you ask the cruise director about it?

No, I did not ask the Cruise Director about it. If I have the time and desire I will make my own post about my experiences on the Pride. I would like to give it some time so a can temper some of my thoughts about my time on the ship. An example of that is my softening of the overall appearance and condition of the Pride. Although I always thought the ship was immaculately clean (except for my balcony which after 2 weeks did get a thorough hose down to remove accumulated dirt and debris on the balcony floor) my first impressions were that the Pride was in disrepair. But after more thoughtful review and time my impressions were more colored by the dated design and decor and the Pride is actually in good condition for it's age. The MDR looked great and obviously the area where the Alchemy Bar is located since that was newly installed and the area surrounding it was refurbished to complement both the new and older portions of the ship. In a nutshell all the doodads and excessive wall treatments were removed for a cleaner and more contemporary look yet still retaining the darke, traditional design of the Pride.

After ten days off the ship my opinion has not changed about the CD and his ineffectual communications. My opinion on this is shared by numerous cruisers that participated on other social media sites pertaining to the three cruises I was on the Pride. Complaints from both new and veteran cruisers were commonplace.  

31 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

After ten days off the ship my opinion has not changed about the CD and his ineffectual communications......

Oh, but I bet the CD did a bang up job on the PA pushing bingo card sales.  🤣

Out of curiosity, who was the CD. 

I was on Pride twice last fall, I really doubt if it's the same CD we had since I thought he did a pretty good job.

OH, speaking of in-room television offerings, we did our first Holland America cruise a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed by all of the free offerings they had on TV which included on-demand movies.  

Edited by groundloop

28 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I was on Pride twice last fall, I really doubt if it's the same CD we had since I thought he did a pretty good job.

OH, speaking of in-room television offerings, we did our first Holland America cruise a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed by all of the free offerings they had on TV which included on-demand movies.  

His name was Felipe. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

No, I did not ask the Cruise Director about it.

If I have a complaint about service, food, whatever on a cruise, I try to get it taken care of while on the cruise and give them an opportunity to fix or at least explain. After the fact is too late. Of course, that is just my opinion.

• Like 2

I watch the daily ship shows, if broadcast and im free.  

No sports channels has to bum out some.  Id trade TCM for ACM.  75-100 year old films must have a very narrow sweet spot.  

The travel channel programming isnt much about travel nowadays.  Hgtv and Food are kinda dull.  

Love the ship cameras.  Have 4 on this sailing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

If I have a complaint about service, food, whatever on a cruise, I try to get it taken care of while on the cruise and give them an opportunity to fix or at least explain. After the fact is too late. Of course, that is just my opinion.

I absolutely do that depending on what the issue is. Many service issues in the MDR we addressed with the Maitre D'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I received it and just finished it. I want more sports options. I’m surprised about the R/NC17 rated questions. They gonna offer dirty movies on the ship?! 

There were 2 questions on the R/NC17 matter and the second asked if the channel required an adult to approve the playing of the channel would you be ok with that. I said no to the first question and yes to the second. If adults want to view this in the privacy of their cabin they paid for, who am I to say they can't?

Movies can receive an R rating for a variety of reasons and not prurient interests exclusively.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

My wife and I don't drink and we're not "partiers"

We like to chill in our cabins and stare at the water and TV from our balcony cabins. Have a pool at home. We live in Florida and get enough sun. For us, the ship is more transportation than anything. 

We do wish the TV offerings were more expansive

• Like 2

Just took the survey. I mean, I know not a lot of people spend time in their cabin watching TV, but at least they're trying. I know we would watch more when our son was younger and we (well, me! LOL!) would be waiting for him to come back from the teen club. But on this cruise, because of some trouble sleeping for me, I did watch some movies later at night.

• The one question that was awkward for me, was how much TV do you watch at home. I won't lie, when I'm home during the day, and I only work very part-time, the TV is on all the time. LOL! It doesn't mean I'm actually, actively watching it though.
  • Like 3

The reason the TV choices are so slim is that content suppliers determined that hospitality users would pay per TV set. They also pay per channel, and sports are very pricey. There are some packages like the one Carnival shows now. New ships from Horizon on have a sat/dist system capable of pay per view, and user selected packages. Cruise lines balk at setting it up because they are asking for more commission than content providers want to pay.

• Like 1

I think that Carnival is utilizing this survey to gauge how many cruisers are actively watching TV, Their objective is probably not to receive too many responses because that proves that more people are spending time in the cabins and not out and about spending cash. 

They are always looking at alternative ways to get you engaged onboard and out of the path of the Cabin TV's? You watching a free movie in your cabin can't be counted as revenue contribution.  

• Like 2

I just completed survey as well.  Agree with others that current offerings are horrible.  I said as much during survey.  Having better options won’t change the time I spend in my room but for the few minutes in the morning or at night before bed I expect more than what they offer now. 

45 minutes ago, cruisemom67 said:

I agree, need more choices. I just got off RCCL in Europe,  and they had better channels than Carnival has here.

They aren't as cheap in spending on TV programming. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, groundloop said:

I’ve only sailed Holland America and have my first Carnival cruise booked. It’s disappointing to hear that Carnival does not have the same interactive TV options that Holland has.