Live from the Regal - July 2-23 - Med Cruise - R/T Barcelona

Ken the cruiser

9 hours ago, RV Queen said:

Ken, Thanks for posting the Princess Patter. Noticed the MDR times for dinner were  6-9. How can that be since our Dine My Way is 5:20 every night? (Sept sailing same ship)

Your thoughts please. 

When we first boarded way back when, we saw the 6 pm time as well. But when we went and asked, the MDR and CC Dining actually open at 5:30 pm. Maybe that’s why most folks don’t start showing up until 6 pm. 🤔 That would explain why our area in CC Dining is so peaceful until then.

Update: Just talked with the maitre d’. The official opening time is 6 pm. They open at 5:30, just in case there are some folks that like to eat early. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The last time we were in Kotor we climbed up to the old fort ruins. You pay a few Euros at the start of the climb and this is the stunning view once you reach the top.

D77E2E3B-8EC3-4C85-B858-09FBC4AEEC5F.jpeg

Edited by Esprit
Typo
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I will be interested to read what's up in Kotor the following day.  We have no plans other than do some walking around on our own.

That’s our plan too. The last time we were in Kotor, we walked up to Our Lady of Health chapel and then up to the castle at the top of St John’s Hill. However, since we walked the steps in Santorini yesterday, we won’t be doing that this time. Just walking around the town. But I’ll try to take some good pictures. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunny_li21 said:

Santorini, would you mind to share when you took the cable car back to Regal, and how's the line? There is mentioned at other threads, that the line can be horrible at later of the day.  

We came back at 11:30 am and there was just 5-6 people in line. However, the line taking the cable up to the top was super long! I tried to tell them it was easier to walk up the steps, but they just laughed. 😂😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have commented on this back near the beginning of this thread.  A lot of folks are either in for a surprise or have to be accommodated otherwise.  I do think a lot of port departures are not very compatible with a 5:00pm dinner time.  I have booked us in for 6:00pm all nights come October and know there is some flexibility because a table booked at 6:00pm cannot be used from 5:00pm onwards since it would not be free in time.  Perhaps they found most people weren't showing up early on these Med itineraries.  

Also, I think I read that they actually open at least one DR by 5:30pm.  I am sure Ken will remind us.

We just talked with the maitre d’ regarding the 5 pm ATD reservations. He said the 5 pm reservations will be honored once they open the doors at the new opening time of 5:30 pm. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just talked with the maitre d’ regarding the 5 pm ATD reservations. He said the 5 pm reservations will be honored once they open the doors at the new opening time of 5:30 pm. 

In a perfect world, those who had a confirmed 5 PM ATD reservation would be notified before the cruise that their reservation has been changed and why.

They should not have to learn about it when they go to the dining room at 5 PM the first evening only to find it closed.

46 minutes ago, caribill said:

In a perfect world, those who had a confirmed 5 PM ATD reservation would be notified before the cruise that their reservation has been changed and why.

They should not have to learn about it when they go to the dining room at 5 PM the first evening only to find it closed.

True. But then he’s just the maitre d’. He did note, however, that very few people actually show up every night between 5 and 6 pm, so that’s apparently why they made the change. Maybe this is a recent change and the management folks responsible for the contents of the ATD online application will make the necessary changes shortly. 

But, now I’m curious. Is this a Regal only or regional change, as folks in the Med normally eat later, or is this being implemented fleet wide? Just curious, has anyone who is following this thread experienced the MDR doors actually being open at 5 pm rather than 5:30 pm since cruising started back up? If so, what was the ship and date of your cruise and when did the MDR actually open in the evening?

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

The last time we were in Kotor we climbed up to the old fort ruins. You pay a few Euros at the start of the climb and this is the stunning view once you reach the top.

D77E2E3B-8EC3-4C85-B858-09FBC4AEEC5F.jpeg

When we cruised to Kotor in Oct 2018 on the Oceania Riviera, we were docked at the pier in your picture right in front of the city wall. Something tells me the Regal won’t fit in there; hence we’re tendering in. Was that the ship in the picture you were on?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

When we cruised to Kotor in Oct 2018 on the Oceania Riviera, we were docked at the pier in your picture right in front of the city wall. Something tells me the Regal won’t fit in there; hence we’re tendering in. Was that the ship in the picture you were on?

Yes Ken, it’s the Solstice.

The only time I ever docked at the pier was on my first cruise as a kid with my Parents on the Fiorita (Chandris cruises).

Climbing up to that church mid way to the Fort as an adult some 40 years later was thought provoking, standing by the church where my Mum and Dad stood all those years ago!

They introduced me to cruising and I did likewise for our kids. As I said to you in our meeting, our daughter became Activities Manager for Celebrity and met her future husband aboard.

Funny how things work out in life eh!

Edited by Esprit
Typo
  • Like 4

Today I learned something new.

Terms and Conditions

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation, nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16.00 AUD price are charged according to the difference in price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.

For some reason I thought all drinks, to include water, soft drinks, etc. were included in the daily allotment of 15 beverages. Not so. I guess it pays to read the fine print! 😂

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

26 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The closest I got to 15 alcoholic drinks was 11 in a day.

I’d be called a “light weight” by hardened drinkers from the north of the U.K.😂

Call it what you want….I’d be on the floor! 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for this.  Now I know we will have someone different in October.  Could be Aaron Hawkins returns.

BTW, I didn't mean the above at all in a negative way.  I had resigned myself to the likelihood that Dan would be gone by October and he sounds like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

BTW, I didn't mean the above at all in a negative way.  I had resigned myself to the likelihood that Dan would be gone by October and he sounds like a breath of fresh air.

No worries. I have to admit on the variety of cruise lines we’ve sailed, Princess always seems to have the funniest CDs! But Dan just seems to go that extra mile. Whether it’s singing a Phantom song with a guest opera singer and nailing it, being so interactive at the game shows with quick comebacks that make you laugh, cracking quality jokes both before and after an evening theater show, or just being a normal person when you stop and ask him a question. We have just been so impressed with him and will always look forward to him being the CD on any future cruise we go on.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Ken, enjoying your review. Also enjoyed your most recent Celebrity review and comparisons.   Are there links for your other reviews?  Thanks.

Thanks! That means a lot! 😁 It took me a few minutes, but hope you enjoy them.  They’re all since cruising started back up..

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

The closest I got to 15 alcoholic drinks was 11 in a day.

I’d be called a “light weight” by hardened drinkers from the north of the U.K.😂

We go to the uk alot(pre covid) to visit family. It always amazes us to see the amount of booze being consumed in airport bars at 0600  not just in the North but at LGW and LHR

Terry

• Haha 2