Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Do you do the test by yourself or do you have a partner to help you?

You test yourself.  They walk you through the entire process.  So much is riding on this test, so you might feel heightened anxiety, but the testing itself is a breeze.  Friendly, patient, and professional.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, internetwhiz said:

RC says this info is required. 

E00A3FA6-319C-42F9-A14E-121C03624533.jpeg

I won’t retype everything written in the paper we received, I’m off to bed soon as we cruise tomorrow. I gave you the highlights.  It is documented from others on these boards that these tests are accepted.  If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t use them.  It’s what we had available on very short notice. I refuse to be derailed when my intention was to share information with others who found themselves in similar circumstances.  We don’t have Wi-Fi on board, so if you don’t hear back from me, then you can assume all went well.  If they aren’t accepted, I will report back and you can say ‘I told you so’. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mommabo said:

when my intention was to share information with others who found themselves in similar circumstances. 

Thank you for your help! I am sailing with my 78 yo Mom and we had planned to go to Walgreens next Thursday for our sailing. I feel responsible for taking care of her and appreciate your post. I am so sorry this problem happened. Even finding out a week in advance was worrying me. Thanks again! Have a super wonderful cruise!!

Edited by luv2sailAgain

35 minutes ago, Mommabo said:

Of our 5 people scheduled to test, 4 indicated travel, 1 indicated exposure at conference and a cough.  Only the 4 indicating travel are cruising, the 5th was getting tested due to exposure.  No one lied about anything.  All of us told we now had to pay $128.99 regardless of the reason.  We declined and booked proctored testing (the 4 cruisers). This all happened on the first day the changed was announced.  Despite having booked and having appts for free testing, the day of change all would be charged as our insurance did not cover testing.  It was an unnecessary and unfortunate stressful situation that we were able to resolve quickly and easily due to all the helpful information provided on these boards.  No deception on day of testing, nor the day health questions answered, nor will there be tomorrow when we board.  Sheesh.  

Good for you.  I didn’t accuse anyone in particular of lying and I certainly didn’t suggest you did. So why are you so bothered by my comment?  We all know many will lie if they can still get a free test at the drugstore.  To pretend otherwise is silly.  My comment is 100% accurate.  

Thanks for the heads up about Walgreens charging now.  I just did a mock booking just now and they were going to charge me when I answered that I had no symptoms. Then I went back and said I had a runny nose and cough it was not going to charge me. 

Two weeks ago, I wanted to try out one of these cheap online sites.  I booked and did my Walgreens test so I had my negative result just in case I had an issue with my experiment.  I used OnPoint and at that time the test was only $9.99 and I used one of the free IHealth test sent out by the government. 

Certified Teleservice COVID Testing - OnPoint Testing (onpoint-testing.com)

I was able to set up a session as quick as an hour from when I purchased the appointment.  There was a bit of a learning curve because the IHealth tests have a different kit than the EMED but she talked me through it. The one thing I didn't like was that she was asking me my booking number for the cruise and my flight info. I started to get that info for her and asked why she needed it, she said so she could report the results.  I told her that I didn't want to give her that information and she that it was not necessary, you can just say you don't want to answer that. I'm glad that I pushed back on that.  

She told me the results right then and there and I received an email about 20 minutes later. And yes, I presented those results to board and got through just fine. (Had Walgreens in my pocket just in case. lol)  I will be using them again this weekend as I am coming in 3 days early. I see that their fee has popped up to $14.99.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, CAT GIRL said:

Thanks for the heads up about Walgreens charging now.  I just did a mock booking just now and they were going to charge me when I answered that I had no symptoms. Then I went back and said I had a runny nose and cough it was not going to charge me. 

Two weeks ago, I wanted to try out one of these cheap online sites.  I booked and did my Walgreens test so I had my negative result just in case I had an issue with my experiment.  I used OnPoint and at that time the test was only $9.99 and I used one of the free IHealth test sent out by the government. 

I was able to set up a session as quick as an hour from when I purchased the appointment.  There was a bit of a learning curve because the IHealth tests have a different kit than the EMED but she talked me through it. The one thing I didn't like was that she was asking me my booking number for the cruise and my flight info. I started to get that info for her and asked why she needed it, she said so she could report the results.  I told her that I didn't want to give her that information and she that it was not necessary, you can just say you don't want to answer that. I'm glad that I pushed back on that.  

She told me the results right then and there and I received an email about 20 minutes later. And yes, I presented those results to board and got through just fine. (Had Walgreens in my pocket just in case. lol)  I will be using them again this weekend as I am coming in 3 days early. I see that their fee has popped up to $14.99.

Thank you for sharing your experience! You have eased my concerns. Now I can start worrying again if my flight will be canceled.😉

3 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

It’s amazing all the complaining about having to now pay for the tests! It was never free. Why should other taxpayers or insurance premiums pay for someone to be tested to go on a vacation.

Pay your own way or choose not to sail if a $30 test cost too much to go $1,000 plus vacation. Entitlement is crazy these days.

You are correct it doesn't make sense for others to pay for you to go on a cruise.  However, *MY* issue is I didn't know about the cost ahead of time.  We booked our cruise last July.  "Oh you need to test, but there's no charge to you."  OK, fine.  Now, two weeks before, "here's a $500 charge" (four people sailing).  At least we have a couple weeks to figure out what we're going to do.  I feel for those who had the charge show up AFTER they booked their test.

How would you feel if you booked a flight on an airline that didn't charge for checked luggage, then the week before your flight, "oh, $50 for each bag each direction"?  It's not the charge per se, it's the lack of notice. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thanks for sharing Roberto. I learned about the Walgreens change this morning. We sail on the Equinox next Sunday. The 10th. CVS shows 2 different antigen tests, the immediate in store & the one within 2 hours. Which one did you do? Have a great cruise on the beautiful Equinox! 

We did the one within 2 hours.  They did not have the immediate one where we went.  We got our results in about an hour.  Good luck!

On 6/30/2022 at 3:55 AM, rebeccac said:

Or you can order the proctored home tests which cost anywhere between $25 and $35 per test depending on how many you order.  

Do you know if the ANTIGEN tests satisfy the requirement, or does it have to be PCR?

6 minutes ago, Justluvwater said:

Do you know if the ANTIGEN tests satisfy the requirement, or does it have to be PCR?

Antigen is accepted as long as it is proctored.  PCR is supposed to be better for actually accurately showing you have or don’t have.  

10 hours ago, CAT GIRL said:

Glad to hear it went smoothly. The asking for personal info like cruise reservation # is one reason I went with rapidtestandtrace for my 7/13 appointment for $5 more. Good to know you don't actually have to give OnPoint that info.

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

PCR is supposed to be better for actually accurately showing you have or don’t have.  

Not really true. You're more likely to have false negatives with antigen tests, but you can test positive upwards of 12 weeks after recovery with a PCR test.

Some people on our FB page for Monday's sailing have been getting their tests for free today at Walgreens and some have to pay.  Guess it depends on your insurance.  My healthcare provider did mine no charge and I wasn't about to ask.  They knew if was for travel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CAT GIRL said:

Thanks for this info -- I'm not opposed to doing the testing, but I don't want to pay -- and I 'specially don't want to pay big bucks.  I'm saving the name of the service you used successfully.  

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You are correct it doesn't make sense for others to pay for you to go on a cruise. 

I literally pay more for insurance than any other line item in my budget -- and then I pay a co-pay any time I actually need medical treatment!  If I can use insurance, I'm not going to feel bad.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Some people on our FB page for Monday's sailing have been getting their tests for free today at Walgreens and some have to pay.  Guess it depends on your insurance.  My healthcare provider did mine no charge and I wasn't about to ask.  They knew if was for travel

Yes, tested today at Walgreens for travel and no cost if you have Medicare Part B.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, sandy toes said:

Easy to do the video telemed testing. We ordered a time slot, and did 4 of them. Searched several sites. Found 3 that allowed us to use the free ones mailed to us from the government. Then, got some more free ones at the local public library that we will be using for this upcoming July cruise. We found one that was $25 /pp. They sent us an email with our results. VERY easy. Do a google search for video proctored covid tests sites and you will find a bunch. Less of a stressor than all the worries about CVS, Walgreens, and confession! You can even find some sites for over seas use, a Celebrity Med cruise. So easy to do. Just need wifi for the video connection. 

Could you use video conferencing that most people have already (FaceTime, etc), ior did you have to install their app for the proctored test?

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I literally pay more for insurance than any other line item in my budget -- and then I pay a co-pay any time I actually need medical treatment!  If I can use insurance, I'm not going to feel bad.  

I read PP as saying the government (and therefore everyone else via taxes) should cover the cost of testing for travel.