Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

It is going to put pressure on the cruise lines if they require paid testing for every person who cruises.  I hate to see testing end because it does prevent people who know they are positive from lying and getting on the ship infected, but I do not want to add that much to the price of the cruise.  With as many cases as there are, it wouldn’t be a complete lie to state that you are requesting the test because you have been exposed to a positive person, as there is a good chance you have been. I wonder if there is still a charge for that. 

Testing needs to end!  This is the final straw.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What the provider charges, and what insurance pays them are two very different numbers😉

I went back and checked what the payment was. The lab billed United Healthcare $300, then there was a $150 plan discount and the healthcare paid the lab $150 for the test. Due to federal rules I was not charged any deductible. I wonder how long that rule will last? 

• Like 2

In my province in Canada , a national drug chain charges 40 bucks for the rapid test if its for travel . 

You can book an appointment on line and show up for the test.

I think its cheaper at Costco , but i dont go there.

8 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Keep reporting, please.  If testing is not free (including not having to provide insurance info), we need to know.  Some will not cruise with that burden.

Will book a vacation that costs $1000 or more, but are going to draw the line at a $25 Covid test?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've always answered for travel, no symptoms and have never neen charged.

Guess I'm not part of 'most of us'

In our part of So Cal neither CVS, Walgreens or other sites....including our medical provider... ever offered Covid Testing for travel at no cost. 

Here is my experience: made an appointment Monday for testing today at Walgreens.  Showed up and they said it would be $129.  They said that changed today.  I argued with them how can you charge me when I made the appointment when it was free to no avail.  I left without getting tested.  Looking at my options now.

2 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

Here is my experience: made an appointment Monday for testing today at Walgreens.  Showed up and they said it would be $129.  They said that changed today.  I argued with them how can you charge me when I made the appointment when it was free to no avail.  I left without getting tested.  Looking at my options now.

Try Quest

Considering that the test is for public safety, IMO, there shouldn’t be a charge for testing for travel.  We recently went on an Alaska cruise, and we did our pre-cruise test at Nomi Health.  They don’t charge for testing.  I wonder if they too will start charging.  However, there are only a few states that have Nomi Health.  

• Like 1

I made an appointment for Saturday at Walgreens. Said free and no indication of cost.  I just went in now and there is a big blue balloon popping up stating you may be charged due to medical necessity issues change by the Federal Government.  They didn't say how much but I assume our cruise now costs an additional $258.  

The test is in reality not medically necessary at all and just to satisfy Royal Carribean's requirement.  

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I made an appointment for Saturday at Walgreens. Said free and no indication of cost.  I just went in now and there is a big blue balloon popping up stating you may be charged due to medical necessity issues change by the Federal Government.  They didn't say how much but I assume our cruise now costs an additional $258.  

The test is in reality not medically necessary at all and just to satisfy Royal Carribean's requirement.  

Why do you assume you will be charged? The OP posted earlier the website told her she would be charged when she made the appointment. Did you schedule the appointment today?

In any case, keep us posted please.

16 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Why do you assume you will be charged? The OP posted earlier the website told her she would be charged when she made the appointment. Did you schedule the appointment today?

Somebody else had posted that he went for a test at Walgreens and had scheduled when free but when he arrived he was told it was $128.99.  He argued that he made the appointment and nothing was said then but that didn't work.  He left.   I assume I will have to pay also since that balloon is there now even though I booked the appointment yesterday.  I tried to get a real person on the phone to ask without success. 

2 hours ago, RobertoF said:

31 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I guess you didn't read the above post from the guy that went today thinking it was free

• Like 1