Is a trans-Atlantic crossing a good idea for surgery recovery?

magicmallard

In a month or more, I will have surgery on my arm (actually three different ones all done at the same time) and will be off work for at least two weeks, if not up to eight. I asked my surgeon if I could do a cruise while I recover and he said that would be fine after the day after surgery. He said not to do excursions but just lounge around the ship. Given this, I am thinking of doing a trans-Atlantic crossing on QM2 from USA to UK and back. Good idea? If not, what would you recommend? If it is a good idea, any suggestions given my future situation? Just FYI, this will be the first time I ever sailed with Cunard.

Additionally...

2) I have numerous severe food allergies. How does QM2/Cunard commonly help with that? I send in my food allergy list and then what can I expect? Fend for myself? Assigned same waiter/waitress who helps me find something I can eat each meal? What? 

3) What is the single scene on crossings? Not looking for romance, especially given I would be recuperating with an arm in a sling. Just don't like third-wheel socializing. If it matters, I am a single never-married straight fit 59-year-old white male.

A crossing sounds an excellent idea.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've seen, Cunard are very good at dealing with allergies, and do take them seriously. They will give you the menu the day before, and adapt dishes if necessary. Notify them when booking.

As there is fixed dining, asked to be put on a table for eight, which will be a good start for meeting others.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Thanks 1

I always think a transatlantic round trip on QM2 is a good idea 🙂

There may be interactions with your surgical schedule and travel insurance - if you are not a New York resident, this may be a time where 'Cunard Care' makes sense. [Compare insurance options and get more information from a broker like the Trip Insurance Store.

Cunard will handle food allergies mostly in the Britannia dining room, not the Kings Court buffet [behind the scenes, there is an entire kitchen line devoted to special needs from allergies to vegan meals]. Depending on you post surgical mobility, you may want to consider a 'behind the scenes' tour if it is offered on your crossing.

I cannot speak to the 'singles scene' - but apparently the new single staterooms sell out as quickly as the kennels 😉

So there is demand for single accommodation.

Edited by TheOldBear
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was your age, I went on a resort vacation less than a week after hernia surgery.  I was sore, but it was fine - and yes, why not convalesce in pleasant surroundings with great food provided?

Some considerations:

a) Your surgeon says you will be fit to travel after 48 hours.  Do you need to allow time to reach your embarkation port?  How strenuous will that portion of the trip be?

b) The old rule was to expect to need narcotic-level pain relief for 24 hours after all but the most benign surgery, then wean off that in the next 24 hours and start taking acetaminophen or NSAIDs.  How does that schedule fit into your travel plans?  Ask your doctor if any patients require more than 24-48 hours on strong pain medicine, and time your departure accordingly.  You don’t want to be alone in a cabin needing or taking narcotics.

c) The other post-op risk is infection.  I doubt the QM2 medical department has the ability to do culture and sensitivity tests, nor a full range of antibiotics to administer on board.  (Remember you’ll be away from land for seven days.). Maybe confirm with your surgeon when the risk of infection (admittedly low anyway) has past.

And one other thought.  How will you be with dressing yourself?  You might try practicing in advance with your arm in a sling- you can probably manage a pullover and chinos on your own, but do you have ambitions to put on evening wear?

Edited by IDLnyc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would also add to the excellent #5 post, would your recuperation have any travel insurance implications should you need  help whilst onboard. That  medical centre down on deck 1 can be a seriously expensive area!

• Like 1

Magicmallard, I like the way you think., turning lemons into lemonade. If you have your doctor's OK, I say go for it. At 59 you're just a kid! You will be fine. If it fits your budget, try Britannia Club. This gives you a step up into a little bit nicer dining experience with anytime dining, a specific table and staff assigned to you for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR as well as a little broader menu selection. This will all help in managing your food allergy issues. Exlondoner is right, request a table for 6-8. Cunard will usually place multiple singles at the larger tables.

Enjoy

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm having a spinal nerve block to help my sciatica a week before boarding QV in August and plan on using the trip as part of my easing back into life afterwards. I'm 56 but do have my partner to assist me with all the heavy stuff like suitcase shifting and driving to port. Whatever happens hope your surgery is successful and you have a good speedy recovery. 😊 

• Like 1

I agree a back to back crossing is always a great idea- and the idea to use two weeks of getting spoiled on the wonderful QM2 sounds great to me for a bit of a recovery time.

I have done it twice, without the need for recovery - only to relax and I will do it again next year.

I find the calmness and the stressless time, looking out to the sea- which you can do on board QM2 without even going outdoors is soothing, relaxing- yes even healing! With every twist and turn you can see the SEA  when sailing the Mary- which is why i don´t like to those ships where many lounges are wihtout a view.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3

I actually did this! 17 days round trip TA a few weeks after my two hip surgeries. I am a little surprised that it was suggested you could go as soon as the next day, but I am not a doctor! I would recommend that you give yourself a little time to be sure that everything is healing according to plan and perhaps have your physical therapy exercises to do on the ship in the gym. I went every day. 

I was probably four weeks post op, and on crutches (I wasn’t supposed to bear weight for six weeks). That said, I had already flown from Thailand to New York where I had my unexpected surgeries,

My daughter came with me on the cruise as my house was totally being majorly remodeled. at the time. There was a single gentleman at out table on one of the legs. I think you can be as social or not as you choose.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The only worry I would have is if you can't use your arm at all will you be OK if the weather is rough ?

I honestly don't know. Never been on cruiseship during really rough weather. I think I would just find a good chair and ride it out.

22 hours ago, IDLnyc said:

a) Your surgeon says you will be fit to travel after 48 hours.  Do you need to allow time to reach your embarkation port?  How strenuous will that portion of the trip be?

b) The old rule was to expect to need narcotic-level pain relief for 24 hours after all but the most benign surgery, then wean off that in the next 24 hours and start taking acetaminophen or NSAIDs.  How does that schedule fit into your travel plans?  Ask your doctor if any patients require more than 24-48 hours on strong pain medicine, and time your departure accordingly.  You don’t want to be alone in a cabin needing or taking narcotics.

c) The other post-op risk is infection.  I doubt the QM2 medical department has the ability to do culture and sensitivity tests, nor a full range of antibiotics to administer on board.  (Remember you’ll be away from land for seven days.). Maybe confirm with your surgeon when the risk of infection (admittedly low anyway) has past.

And one other thought.  How will you be with dressing yourself?  You might try practicing in advance with your arm in a sling- you can probably manage a pullover and chinos on your own, but do you have ambitions to put on evening wear?

A & B) I plan to fly in the day before the cruise starts. I do that for all cruises. Less worries about cancelled and delayed flights. This time it will also give me a little more time to heal before boarding.

C) Yes, I plan to wear a dinner jacket. I am used to dressing myself one-handed. Previously, I broke that arm's elbow and then the next year shattered it. Both work related. This new surgery is to fix what that last surgery did wrong. I have also been told that if I have trouble with the jacket, my cabin steward or the maitre d' usually will help out. If not, there is always room service.

Edited by magicmallard
misspelling

22 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I would also add to the excellent #5 post, would your recuperation have any travel insurance implications should you need  help whilst onboard. That  medical centre down on deck 1 can be a seriously expensive area!

I do plan to get a good travel medical insurance policy.

Edited by magicmallard
misspelling

Will you be able to obtain travel medical insurance post your surgery. 2016 I have closed heart surgery (an ablation for an cardiac arrhythmia) cardiologist was happy for me to travel but travel insurer stated NO NO. I recuperated at home in UK and had days away and a few days in a hotel. The travel insurer accepted me for insurance after 6 month and we flew to Florida. 

My wife and I sailed on QM2 in 2009 and the ship lurched throwing her out of the bathroom falling onto her nose. Medical centre were happy to see her outside of surgery hours but the cost 13 years ago was £70 approx. (Quick check of nose, and blood pressure).  UK people with the NHS do not realise how costly private health care is so be careful.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like you are used to using one arm, as you have been through this before. It wasn’t clear from your original post. Given that, I would say, go for it.

It’s wonderful to have people cooking and cleaning for you. I found the staff to be very solicitous. While I did have a broken hip and crutches, I was in my fifties at the time me found that the staff would carry a tray for me, etc.

Much easier to recover on a ship than at home.

The flight to the cruise ship may be the worst part. Make sure reserve a wheel chair so that you get assistance and aren’t left to fend for yourself.

• Thanks 1