Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

47 minutes ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I hope they do start charging for testing, and a lot at every outlet. I think that would change the minds of the people controlling the "testing prior to cruise policy" due to all the complaints. Carnival says it's because ports require it.  Mexico doesn't require it and my last 2 cruises have been to only US or Mexico ports so dump the testing, it's pointless and a waste of money and resources.

I live in WA.
I can go to Canada without taking a Covid test, since I am fully vaccinated.
I can go to Alaska without taking a Covid test.
But I cannot take an Alaska Cruise that stops in Canada without taking a Covid test. 
I don't think it makes any bit of sense. 
I get that it is currently a requirement, but still doesn't make any sense - at least for my cruise.
Planning on the Emed proctored testing, as we have plenty of free tests in the house from the government. But deep down, I am hoping for a "Hail Mary" come August, and no testing requirements. (Not holding my breath though.) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What's confusing? US cruises still require covid testing or an excused absence. That hasn't changed.

No covid testing still doesn't equal no covid cases. That hasn't changed.

Exactly especially these days when it mimics allergies or colds so you just don’t know if you have a drippy nose. Now it is just an expense and hurdle of cruising that may or may not mean everyone on the ship will not get sick from Covid or noro or any other illness. Heck these days you can’t even figure out where you were exposed if you catch Covid…anecdotally from experiences of people I know you can have both shots and two boosters and catch this drippy nose fatigue and body ache variant. I will test if I have to in order to board but I will be happy when it is no longer required. 

• Like 8

Testing - it's almost like a formality now.  Just got off the Spirit on Thursday and me and DH tested positive the next day, even after masking religiously as best we could.  Plus some people we met at the Alchemy also tested positive the day after, so people are getting it in port or already are carrying it.  I'm glad that we have mild symptoms, but still feels like I came home with an STD.  🙃

Edited by CrzRani
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CrzRani said:

I'm glad that we have mild symptoms, but still feels like I came home with an STD.  🙃

Tell me about it!!  The better half allowed my June 27th solo cruise.  I and many others got it.  Happily, nothing much, but a few worn-out/tired nights. (Fully vaxed and second booster 60 days prior to cruise.)

But, imagine bringing the "STD" home on your own.  Yikes!  At least it didn't spread at home.  But, I think my chances of going it alone (ha, maybe even together) are not looking good in the near term.

Since early 2020, I have traveled and cruised (since late 2021) freely with time-required precautions and avoided it until now.    I can't imagine what havoc this current variant could cause if testing and vax requirements had been lifted.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EarloftheSeas said:

I can't imagine what havoc this current variant could cause if testing and vax requirements had been lifted.

Considering it's readily and rapidly spreading, and will for the rest of our lives, I don't see how it's making any difference at all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, markkw07 said:

Appreciate the clarification on your initial sentence. There are several threads and posts where people are just reading 10 words into it, not reading the ENTIRE announcement from NCL and assuming this applies to ALL cruises, to which as you pointed out the EXCEPT part of the announcement, and the key words of US Port and Canadian port. 

People have to learn to read everything 100% before posting or saying things that are simply not true, at least at this point. SOME want the pre-cruise testing to go away for ALL points of embarkation, but sadly it's not up to us or the cruise critic "know it alls" 🙂  🙂

Let me EDIT my original response. 

SOME want the pre-cruise testing to go away, 

Edited by markkw07

The point of the pre-test is to try to keep some covid off of the ships. It works as intended. Enough people contract covid cruising as it is. I know I don't want cruising shutdown again.

Some people object to pre-cruise testing, but I haven't seen any complain about testing after the cruise if they (or spouse) have any concerns. So testing clearly isn't an issue.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The point of the pre-test is to try to keep some covid off of the ships. It works as intended. Enough people contract covid cruising as it is. I know I don't want cruising shutdown again.

Some people object to pre-cruise testing, but I haven't seen any complain about testing after the cruise if they (or spouse) have any concerns. So testing clearly isn't an issue.

No way to really prove the testing is limiting the number of cases.  Based on reports of people coming off of cruises testing positive seems similar to those testing positive not on cruises. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

No way to really prove the testing is limiting the number of cases.  Based on reports of people coming off of cruises testing positive seems similar to those testing positive not on cruises. 

You can prove people who test positive at the port or 2-3 days before aren't going cruising and aren't going to be shedding virus everywhere.

More and more people are doing at home tests and in general not reporting to anyone, especially if not returning from a cruise and a member of a roll call group.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You can prove people who test positive at the port or 2-3 days before aren't going cruising and aren't going to be shedding virus everywhere.

More and more people are doing at home tests and in general not reporting to anyone, especially if not returning from a cruise and a member of a roll call group.

And people going to grocery store or mall or sporting event or general travel aren’t reporting either.  It’s not unique to cruising. Been on 4 cruises since restart and caught Covid during normal at home activities, not on a cruise.  Always agreed that testing limited exposure on cruises but not so sure anymore as it is everywhere and past protocols don’t necessarily prevent current rates of infection, anywhere. 

• Like 1