Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

15 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Yeah they need to knock this testing on the head, because as per another thread it obviously does not work.

I concur. They should start to remove testing. It does not make sense how they have it rolled out. My almost 2 year old daughter didn't have to test at all prior or during the cruise. We can also get COVID while on the cruise from people that didn't have it and got it during travel to the cruise, while out on an excursion, etc. 

• Like 5

IMHO Limiting the availability of free CoVid testing at the popular drug stores is going to be challenging, both pre- and post-cruise.  Cruiselines will have to take that into consideration regarding their requirement for boarding.  

I know that testing does not guarantee a CoVid-free cruise.  On my last cruise a month ago, about 10% of my FB group for that cruise self-reported positive tests within a week of debarkation.  And yes, we probably ALL unknowingly come in contact with positive cases on a daily basis in our normal life.   

My next cruise is July 16, and my go-to testing location, Walgreens, has just changed their policies for free testing.  But according this, my Medicare Part B will still cover free testing there.

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

If we are still in a pandemic, then literally every time I come into contact with anyone, and that’s just about daily, there’s possible exposure. So, it’s not lying to say I’ve been exposed to Covid. 

Having said that, for my last cruise, I used the emed just for convenience, so paid out of pocket. But my next 3 cruises, positive test so all good.

Did you then tell Carnival you were exposed on their pre-boarding health assessment form?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tradestock said:

Some insurance companies have never covered the COVID test for travel, even after the presidential suggestion for reimbursement.  My husband and I have always paid for the test out of our pocket and considered it an additional cost of the cruise.  We thought it unethical to declare we were ill two days out for a free test and then experience a lapse of memory on the Carnival health assessment and port questions. We try to utilize the three Cs: candor, courage and commitment; even though not always cheaper.

Well stated

• Like 2

13 hours ago, craig01020 said:

If you're vaxxed, it's not that ugly.

But vaccines today aren't geared to effectively work against the new variants or even Omicron Original.

Those won't be available until fall.

IMO, testing should take place on the ship if you're feeling symptoms, and then be confined to cabin like they do with NORO.  We know that all the wiping down on isolation doesn't work, and recent studies have shown wearing masks isn't as effective as claimed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have yet to pay for a covid test, but all don't use Walgreens or CVS. All you have to do is cough or (pick a symptom) and it should be covered.

Yeah, Kaiser tests you without question. Results for us have come in in under 24 hours.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Did you then tell Carnival you were exposed on their pre-boarding health assessment form?

How should I know if I for sure have been exposed?  I tested positive. More than 10 days ago and haven’t been exposed to my knowledge. And it’s 100% accurate. As far as I know.

18 hours ago, cameronp12 said:

I don’t believe the results they email to you 

If you have had ANYTHING in the last 14 days that could be considered a symptom (literally even if you’ve coughed once), go ahead and list that symptom, so that there’s a good chance your insurance will pay for it. They don’t also need to know you’re traveling.

So if you are willing to say that you are symptomatic to get someone else to pay for your travel related Covid test,  are you also will to enter that you are symptomatic on the pre-cruise Covid questions, and possibly jeopardize your chances of getting on board 🤔 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

If the cruise lines would just test everyone at embarkation, at least once during the cruise, and a debarkation, it would put an end to some of the lying.

If they did that you would have people complaining about being charged another $100 for covid testing, or do you think the cruise lines can afford to do something else for free because they are all doing so well financially now.   Also, how much complaining do you think there would be how long it takes to get on board and waiting for everyone to get tested.

The way I see it:

1) the market has spoken. If cruise lines got rid of testing, enough people would cruise to overcome anyone who decides to tap out. Increasing the testing is silly and ain’t gonna happen. More likely that testing goes bye bye before more testing.

2) you will be exposed to Covid on ships. Just like anywhere else you go.

3) if you want to wear a mask, wear one. No one cares.

4) if you are really, really afraid to get Covid, don’t cruise.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 11

IMO, testing should take place on the ship if you're feeling symptoms, and then be confined to cabin 

LOL...funny, with all the people that have mentioned/indicated they would lie in some form to buck the system you honestly think people on a ship not feeling well will actually step up and be honest while cruising?  Not happening, not in todays world. 

Have yet to pay for a Covid test pre cruise. Just stay in our vehicle get swabbed and the results in 30 minutes or less.  

Walgreens still doing it this way here in our area and not charging yet.  Appts 3 and 4 days out.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:37 PM, KKB said:

I hope you are right, but I am doubting it.

The latest variant is rearing it's ugly head in Europe again & we are usually close behind.

Cruise ships are so vulnerable to spread. CEOS want to keep ships on the seas.

This "new variant"  is endless....always a "new" variant in this what if world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

The way I see it:

1) the market has spoken. If cruise lines got rid of testing, enough people would cruise to overcome anyone who decides to tap out. Increasing the testing is silly and ain’t gonna happen. More likely that testing goes bye bye before more testing.

2) you will be exposed to Covid on ships. Just like anywhere else you go.

3) if you want to wear a mask, wear one. No one cares.

4) if you are really, really afraid to get Covid, don’t cruise.

SO test 3 days early on Rapid test....Negative

Fly on airplane on day before cruise, and board. test again Positive

What's the point?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

What's the point?

Agree. And some would say, if the testing stops one person with Covid, it’s worth it. And I say, no it’s not. People assume the risk. Let them decide whether to get on the ship.

I know a lot of people who aren’t cruising because of the testing. Not because they are fundamentally against testing. But because they don’t want to deal with the possible  last minute cancellation. So they take land based vacations. 

Covid is here to stay. People can decide if they want to cruise just like they do when they go anywhere in public. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

What's the point?

Exactly. Airplanes were always a prime location to catch something.

Q, Name a crowded public area ?

A, airport.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Covid is here to stay. People can decide if they want to cruise just like they do when they go anywhere in public. 

People can decide if they want to cruise, and right now that means getting vaccinated and tested.  If they decide they don't want to comply, they don't have to cruise.

23 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

People can decide if they want to cruise, and right now that means getting vaccinated and tested.  If they decide they don't want to comply, they don't have to cruise.

Straw man argument. Of course they need to comply. And they are if they want to cruise. My point is, there are a lot of people who aren’t cruising because of the testing. And I think way more who aren’t cruising because of the testing than people who would stop cruising if they stopped testing.

I feel like I won a golden ticket when I tested positive after my last cruise so I don’t have to test for my next 3 cruises. I shouldn’t have to feel that way. But thems the rules.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 6:03 PM, KyloRen said:

I found the 6 pack of emed tests a great deal. Sucks that yall can’t get it covered from here on out but at least they aren’t super expensive though emed

Free Covid testing is still available through the County of San Diego.  Just search for County of San Diego free Covid testing and click on the schedule link.  They do both types of tests.  Some locations do walkups while others you can schedule an appointment.  No problem with the results being accepted on our last cruise.  Kaiser only does PCR tests but if you get a rapid test elsewhere they have a reimbursement form.  We received payment in about two weeks for a different cruise.

Reminder 8 home test kits are still available through the postal service at USPS.COM.  They can't be used for precruise testing but they can be used when you return for peace of mind or if you are exhibiting symptoms.  Travel safely!

4 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

Straw man argument. Of course they need to comply. And they are if they want to cruise. My point is, there are a lot of people who aren’t cruising because of the testing. And I think way more who aren’t cruising because of the testing than people who would stop cruising if they stopped testing.

Yet occupancy rates on cruises are way up even with testing. 69% during the 2nd quarter of 2022. Summer is the busiest season.

4 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I feel like I won a golden ticket when I tested positive after my last cruise so I don’t have to test for my next 3 cruises. I shouldn’t have to feel that way. But thems the rules.

For now. At some point pre-cruise testing may disappear. Maybe masking will return. Who knows?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Yet occupancy rates on cruises are way up even with testing. 69% during the 2nd quarter of 2022. Summer is the busiest season.

For now. At some point pre-cruise testing may disappear. Maybe masking will return. Who knows?

Correct. Who knows?  In the meantime, I had a blast on my last cruise and just glad we are back to cruising. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Exactly. Airplanes were always a prime location to catch something.

Q, Name a crowded public area ?

A, airport.

I think the point being made was that you can test positive anytime. That theoretical positive test was not because of the airport as it would be extremely unlikely to test positive within 24 hours of exposure.

I couldn’t find anywhere who would do a test acceptable for travel; Walgreens, CVS, local private testing center. Called the closest independent pharmacy, transferred one of my prescriptions to them (which cost no higher co-pay) and boom, they did a test for free and put the exact info on the document required by the cruise line.