Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

On 6/30/2022 at 6:37 PM, KKB said:

I hope you are right, but I am doubting it.

The latest variant is rearing it's ugly head in Europe again & we are usually close behind.

Cruise ships are so vulnerable to spread. CEOS want to keep ships on the seas.

Agreed. From the CDC's perspective, what's the upside of dropping testing?

I think it would take cruise lines defying CDC recommendations and dropping the mask requirement on their own for it to happen in the near future. And to date the cruise lines have been willing to work with the CDC, not defy them. 

22 hours ago, topaz123 said:

This "new variant"  is endless....always a "new" variant in this what if world.

True. But that could be construed to mean testing should go on forever, because the risk continues forever. There's no guarantee we'll ever be able to go back to pre-Covid normal.

(For the record, my guess is testing will eventually be stopped. But one could plausibly make a case otherwise.) 

31 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

True. But that could be construed to mean testing should go on forever, because the risk continues forever. There's no guarantee we'll ever be able to go back to pre-Covid normal.

(For the record, my guess is testing will eventually be stopped. But one could plausibly make a case otherwise.) 

I have to agree..I think it will go away at some point, but I don’t think we’re there yet. Although I wish we were. We’re still testing people for procedures and admissions in the hospitals too so I think until the CDC decides it’s not worth testing anymore unless you’re being admitted to the hospital or show up in the ER really sick, then we’re stuck. 

This is what I get when I try to make an appointment at Walgreens.  It asks why I am testing.  I chose "traveling"  and this page loaded.  Oh brother!  It's cheaper to get it done at the port, but we want to test before we travel to Florida. I'm going to call our PCP clinic and ask if we can do it there for our copay. 

COVID-19 Testing Information_ Rapid & PCR Tests _ Walgreens.pdf

On 6/30/2022 at 6:08 PM, BlerkOne said:

I have yet to pay for a covid test, but all don't use Walgreens or CVS. All you have to do is cough or (pick a symptom) and it should be covered.

I didn't think if you have symptoms, they will let you cruise even with a negative test. Which is why you do the health assessment no more than 72 hours before. I don't know if the reason shows up on your test result. 

1 hour ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I didn't think if you have symptoms, they will let you cruise even with a negative test. Which is why you do the health assessment no more than 72 hours before. I don't know if the reason shows up on your test result. 

I've always told the providers I need the test for travel. I've never look at the results beyond seeing that I was negative. I'll try to find one to check.

1 hour ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I looked at two test results and no reason for the test was obvious 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, BlerkOne said:

Yet occupancy rates on cruises are way up even with testing. 69% during the 2nd quarter of 2022. Summer is the busiest season.

Hmmm....busiest season, 'way up' to 69%....probably not throwing any celebration parties.

Slightly off the subject but just a reminder that you can again order another 8 FREE Covid home test kits from the US Postal Service.  Go to USPS.com and type Covid tests on the search line or just do a web search.  They are not a substitute for verifiable pre-cruise testing but can be taken with you to self-test on a cruise or when your return.  Stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, farjar said:

Slightly off the subject but just a reminder that you can again order another 8 FREE Covid home test kits from the US Postal Service.  Go to USPS.com and type Covid tests on the search line or just do a web search.  They are not a substitute for verifiable pre-cruise testing but can be taken with you to self-test on a cruise or when your return.  Stay safe.

There are services out there such as OnPoint and others where you pay a nominal fee ($15 to $20) for video/telehealth appointment and use whatever test you already have. 

Edited by Marine91
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I looked at Walgreens in Seattle for an upcoming cruise at the end of the month.  They are charging $128.99 if you check travel.  I think that's a bit of a price gouge. The tests cost $20 for 2 for the same ones sold in the store that they use to test. So each test is $10 retail.  I would pay $50ish for Walgreens to administer it because their notification system is easy/convenient  to use but $128.99 is a bit over the top for me. I'll just order from eMed instead and take them with us since we are in SEA early for a few days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RMLERL said:

I looked at Walgreens in Seattle for an upcoming cruise at the end of the month.  They are charging $128.99 if you check travel.  I think that's a bit of a price gouge. The tests cost $20 for 2 for the same ones sold in the store that they use to test. So each test is $10 retail.  I would pay $50ish for Walgreens to administer it because their notification system is easy/convenient  to use but $128.99 is a bit over the top for me. I'll just order from eMed instead and take them with us since we are in SEA early for a few days.

The emed are nice. They are what, $30-$35? I I didn’t get insurance reimbursement but it’s just so convenient. And I’m not trying to say that $30 is nothing. Especially with a spouse and kids.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Marine91 said:

There are services out there such as OnPoint and others where you pay a nominal fee ($15 to $20) for video/telehealth appointment and use whatever test you already have. 

Are these available nationwide or just select cities. Can   you use this for the 3 day pre cruising antigen test? need the proctored test with printable varification.

Edited by topaz123

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

Are these available nationwide or just select cities. Can   you use this for the 3 day pre cruising antigen test? need the proctored test with printable varification.

Nationwide as it is online similar to the eMed/Navica testing.  Several folks have posted on John H's page and in other groups that I am in that they have done this without issue.

• Like 1

I can confirm this is true because I was billed for a Covid test EVEN THOUGH I TESTED POSITIVE because I answered I was not having symptoms.  (I tested because my husband was positive.)

22 hours ago, RockinRobin said:

This is what I get when I try to make an appointment at Walgreens.  It asks why I am testing.  I chose "traveling"  and this page loaded.  Oh brother!  It's cheaper to get it done at the port, but we want to test before we travel to Florida. I'm going to call our PCP clinic and ask if we can do it there for our copay. 

COVID-19 Testing Information_ Rapid & PCR Tests _ Walgreens.pdf 68.37 kB · 36 downloads

Go back in and choose have been exposed, then it's covered. The way I see it if you e been out of your house in the last two weeks youve been exposed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vickig315 said:

Go back in and choose have been exposed, then it's covered. The way I see it if you e been out of your house in the last two weeks youve been exposed.

So then you will also say you have been exposed when you answer the pre-cruise health screening questions?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So then you will also say you have been exposed when you answer the pre-cruise health screening questions?

Questions like this need to stop. Everyone has likely been exposed, in some capacity, within the last 14 days, whether we know it or not. The ability to know in a more accurate fashion ended when contact tracing ended.

However, we are all having to do this dance with testing and jump through the seemingly increasingly-difficult hoops as governmental policies change on testing. So, people are answering questions however is necessary to attempt to jump through these hoops. 

It's way past time for pre-cruise testing to go away, in my opinion. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

What is the current expiration date for the EMed tests? We have 3 cruises booked- August, October, and January. The 6 pack of tests is a better deal, but not if they will expire before January. 

I was wondering the same thing! At one point their website was telling you the expiration dates when you bought them but it’s not now.

We cruise in January too and I think this is the route we’re going to go. Especially since our kids will be vaccinated and can now do the rapid now too!