Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

On 7/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, farjar said:

Reminder 8 home test kits are still available through the postal service at USPS.COM.  They can't be used for precruise testing but they can be used when you return for peace of mind or if you are exhibiting symptoms.  Travel safely!

They can be used for the virtual testing appointments though which is coming in handy for our cruise next week for the 5 of us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cltcruiser said:

Questions like this need to stop. Everyone has likely been exposed, in some capacity, within the last 14 days, whether we know it or not. The ability to know in a more accurate fashion ended when contact tracing ended.

There's an app for that!

We've used the eMed telemedicine  test twice now with no issues testing or receiving results by email.  Cost is only $69.00 for two test kits. Easy to use step by step instruction by the eMed proctor that conducts the test with you on their website. Make sure you buy the right test. Must be the one for telehealth proctored test. They box will say "Do not Open until instructed to" drug stores and walmart sell the at home self test that look very similar. Order eMed site or RCCL also has a link on their site to order them here's a link .https://www.emed.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwo-WBhAMEiwAV4dybRChDRdignZAVxuaW5bvY8cXc_brbZq73-jzYjgycQGBcw_itQQ7VBoCpiYQAvD_BwE

Results sent to your email test results in 15 miutes. No hoping your results come back in time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

I was wondering the same thing! At one point their website was telling you the expiration dates when you bought them but it’s not now.

We cruise in January too and I think this is the route we’re going to go. Especially since our kids will be vaccinated and can now do the rapid now too! 

I bought some a few weeks ago (but within about the past month or two) and I think they expire in October. 

• Thanks 1

I am confused by all this.  We have used CVS in the past and they charged our insurance and we never had an out-of-pocket cost.  The test itself was covered fully by insurance but they started to bill for an office visit but CVS never charged us for the copay/deductible.  I wonder if they will want payment going forward and we will be better off with the OnPoint monitored testing.  Has anyone been charged by CVS or is this too new a policy to know?

Is there an out-of-pocket cost for patients with insurance?
Patients with insurance should not have any out-of-pocket costs for a covered COVID-19 test, but check with your health plan to confirm before scheduling a test. If you have health insurance, you must bring your card with you to the test site. For patients who test negative for COVID-19 through a rapid test and come into the clinic, the clinic visit should be considered part of your test by your health plan. You likely will not have any out-of-pocket costs for the in-clinic visit, or for testing to further evaluate COVID-like symptoms, but you should check with your health plan to confirm coverage. You will be responsible for any patient cost as determined by your insurance.

Norwegian just dropped the testing requirement beginning August 1st.  Hopefully other lines will follow.

Scratch that.  The official statement reads: 

EU Healthy Gateways Ends Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements

For sailings beginning August 1, 2022, vaccinated guests sailing on a cruise originating from any port EXCEPT a U.S. port; Canadian port; or Piraeus, Greece are exempt from all pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements.

So it looks like us in the US are still stuck with testing.

Edited by tpooleinjax

7 hours ago, tpooleinjax said:

Norwegian just dropped the testing requirement beginning August 1st.  Hopefully other lines will follow.

Scratch that.  The official statement reads: 

EU Healthy Gateways Ends Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements

For sailings beginning August 1, 2022, vaccinated guests sailing on a cruise originating from any port EXCEPT a U.S. port; Canadian port; or Piraeus, Greece are exempt from all pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements.

So it looks like us in the US are still stuck with testing.

Appreciate the clarification on your initial sentence. There are several threads and posts where people are just reading 10 words into it, not reading the ENTIRE announcement from NCL and assuming this applies to ALL cruises, to which as you pointed out the EXCEPT part of the announcement, and the key words of US Port and Canadian port. 

People have to learn to read everything 100% before posting or saying things that are simply not true, at least at this point. We ALL want the pre-cruise testing to go away for ALL points of embarkation, but sadly it's not up to us or the cruise critic "know it alls" 🙂  🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markkw07 said:

We ALL want the pre-cruise testing to go away for ALL points of embarkation, but sadly it's not up to us or the cruise critic "know it alls" 🙂  🙂

No, we don't . Thank God.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skippy said:

For the Emed tests, do you need to make an appointment? If so, how far in advance? We would need 4.

Also adding, do you need an account with eMed or can they just email you the results?

4 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Also adding, do you need an account with eMed or can they just email you the results?

I believe each person needs an account. I don't think appointments are need, but wait times can vary.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:51 PM, KKB said:

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

We’ve done the home proctored test a couple times. Good suggestion. Cost came out to about $40 each. 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, KKB said:

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

How would they know you aren't showing symptoms?

Just signed up for the On Point video testing. We will use our own tests, since we have 18 of them at home , and they will send a certificate at the end. The cost for 2 was $30.00, and we could schedule when it was convenient for us. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tulok said:

Just signed up for the On Point video testing. We will use our own tests, since we have 18 of them at home , and they will send a certificate at the end. The cost for 2 was $30.00, and we could schedule when it was convenient for us. 

Do you know how far in advance you can book an appointment? I think this is going to be the best method for us as well. 

9 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

Do you know how far in advance you can book an appointment? I think this is going to be the best method for us as well. 

9 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

I scheduled out at least 6 weeks and you can change your appointment if you wish. I haven't found them to answer the phone or email but I only emailed a day or so ago.

• Like 1

Guessing it will stop being required.  Just shelled out $500 for our Royal cruise leaving Sunday and will not be booking another cruise until testing requirements go away.  That money would cover a lot of other expenses. We did Walgreens.  Was $128 per person times four.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, nycruise1 said:

I am confused by all this.  We have used CVS in the past and they charged our insurance and we never had an out-of-pocket cost.  The test itself was covered fully by insurance but they started to bill for an office visit but CVS never charged us for the copay/deductible.  I wonder if they will want payment going forward and we will be better off with the OnPoint monitored testing.  Has anyone been charged by CVS or is this too new a policy to know?

Is there an out-of-pocket cost for patients with insurance?
Patients with insurance should not have any out-of-pocket costs for a covered COVID-19 test, but check with your health plan to confirm before scheduling a test. If you have health insurance, you must bring your card with you to the test site. For patients who test negative for COVID-19 through a rapid test and come into the clinic, the clinic visit should be considered part of your test by your health plan. You likely will not have any out-of-pocket costs for the in-clinic visit, or for testing to further evaluate COVID-like symptoms, but you should check with your health plan to confirm coverage. You will be responsible for any patient cost as determined by your insurance.

This is new. The government pulled their funding for free covid testing. Now if cvs/Walgreens, etc want reimbursement for the test they have to bill your insurance. But some insurances don’t cover tests for travel. They’ll only cover it if you’re sick or exposed, hence the people claiming symptoms so their insurance will pay for it. 

It is getting crazy with this hodgepodge of requirements. I used to be afraid of noro in the old days of cruising now I am less afraid of illness but have hoops to jump through that really don’t make much of a difference I think. My next cruise is in a couple months but I have used Emed for the past two cruises so if still required will do that way again. 

• Like 1

I hope they do start charging for testing, and a lot at every outlet. I think that would change the minds of the people controlling the "testing prior to cruise policy" due to all the complaints. Carnival says it's because ports require it.  Mexico doesn't require it and my last 2 cruises have been to only US or Mexico ports so dump the testing, it's pointless and a waste of money and resources.

• Like 5